Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th August 2016, 6:33 PM   #1
winderic Thread Starter

Default HP ML110 G7

Hi All, i recycled one of our old server and use it as a NVR system for our cameras. I had now installed windows 7 pro x64 on it but i am not able to get the 3rd and 4th drive going.

The server used to have 4x1TB RAID setup and using a raid controller card.
I had deleted all the array and only setup 2x1TB RAID 0+1. I want to use the 3rd and 4th disk just like normal disk.

Under windows disk manager, it detect the drive but i am not able to convert the disk and add path on it. I was thinking if i need to actually unplug the drive from the controller card and direct to the motherboard so it work like normal?

I am not familiar with RAID setup and server hardware. Let me know if you need more information. The server was running VMWARE before this helps.

Thanks.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 12th August 2016, 8:24 PM   #2
Bold Eagle

I would assume the "stand alone drives" (non-raid) should be of the mobo sata ports.

Doesn't look like there present:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr..._Datasheet.pdf

What drivers have you installed?

Win7 Pro is not listed:
http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/...&swEnvOid=4064

Maybe consider another OS (Ubuntu) and then review the drivers (greater storage control functions).
Old 13th August 2016, 3:38 PM   #3
winderic Thread Starter

When i installed win7 i did load the controller driver and it allow me to install on the raid drive. Using Windows 2008 x64 drivers.

The nvr Software only run on windows so cant use ubuntu.

I will open up the case and see if anyway to remove cable from raid controller and plug direct to the M/B.
Old 15th August 2016, 2:50 PM   #4
winderic Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
I would assume the "stand alone drives" (non-raid) should be of the mobo sata ports.

Doesn't look like there present:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr..._Datasheet.pdf
open up the case, doesn't look like able to connect direct to MB SATA unless some modification on the HDD hotplug/swap cage.

I am only able to use the spare two drives after i create an array and as RAID0 under RAID controller. Dont really want to do it this way as if one drive fail, i am going to lost all data. Rather use it as normal separate drivers.

Anyone any suggestions? Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 2:55 PM   #5
NiRdoC

You could buy a simple PCIe SATA controller and use that.
NiRdoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 4:16 PM   #6
winderic Thread Starter

I read thru the user guide again and changed the mini SAS cable to connect MB SATA, so now i am able to use all as single drive but not as RAID.

I tried both RAID and ACHI mode on the bios. Dont seem to have anyway to use 2x1TB using RAID and 2x1TB using ACHI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiRdoC View Post
You could buy a simple PCIe SATA controller and use that.
Try not to spend anything extra if exiting hardware can do it. Plus i dont think the hot swap cage are able to pull out the cable unless i remove the LFF backplane.
Old 15th August 2016, 6:25 PM   #7
Bold Eagle

The BIOS should be just set to RAID?

During the BIOS POST Screens can a RAID screen be selected so you can build/ or destruct the RAID array (add members, etc) and then only add the HDD's you want.

The others should then either just populate as DATA drives or be managed via Disk Manager once in the OS. In Disk Manager you can see the HDD's can't you just format or expand them?

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 15th August 2016 at 6:29 PM.
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 7:44 PM   #8
winderic Thread Starter

Default ML110 G7 Random Shut Down

Hi all, instead of open a new thread i thought i would just continue here.

Recently my G7 start to have random shut down. I also can't get in BIOS anymore using USB keyboard. But the keyboard will work fine when it reach the windows 10 Login screen.

I did some search and people suggested to do clear the CMOS which i did.
Remove the battery and also turn on no.6 maintenance switch. The bios reset to factory but i still cant' access the BIOS, now the windows 10 also having problem won't boot to login screen.

Any suggestions at this point what i can do to get into bios? Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 6:19 PM   #9
ae00711

have you replaced the battery?

ae00711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 6:48 PM   #10
terrastrife

If the drive appears in disk management but can't be formatted use diskpart to clear the old initialisation information off the disk. It's got old raid headers so can't be formatted normally.
terrastrife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 2:54 PM   #11
winderic Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae00711 View Post
have you replaced the battery?
you mean the CMOS battery? No i haven, would it cause random restart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrastrife View Post
If the drive appears in disk management but can't be formatted use diskpart to clear the old initialisation information off the disk. It's got old raid headers so can't be formatted normally.
at the end, i went ahead to format and reinstall windows 10. I can get into windows 10 but the random shut down still happen.

I got helps from someone and installed ILO3 on it and able to boot into BIOS using ILO setting but i am still not able to use keyboard when i am in BIOS.

I am going t install the SPP first and see if that would fix up the issues.