Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Other Operating Systems

Notices

Old 22nd February 2017, 8:38 PM   #721
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post
i want to try steamOS but benchmarks show there's not much of an improvement.
Improvement from what? Windows? It's really game dependent. Some games better, some way worse.

If you mean from other Linux distros, then I wouldn't expect much there. It's literally Debian with Steam Big Picture over the top. No magic happening, just convenience.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 9:00 PM   #722
gdjacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Improvement from what? Windows? It's really game dependent. Some games better, some way worse.

If you mean from other Linux distros, then I wouldn't expect much there. It's literally Debian with Steam Big Picture over the top. No magic happening, just convenience.
Exactly. It's a gaming appliance OS intended to make running Steam easy and straightforward outside the Microsoft controlled platform.
gdjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 5:38 PM   #723
[MadHatteR]

Hitman (2016) is out now, ported by Feral (http://store.steampowered.com/app/23..._620_4_1400_46). Love this series, having played every one since the original Hitman back in 2000.

I noticed it supports benchmarking mode, so I ran it through a couple of quick tests. It seems to be moderately CPU limited. The results seem on par with others, small drop going from low to mid, and then a larger drop going from mid to high. I find it's still quite playable on high at 1440p with Vsync off, but as expected without 'force full composition pipeline' enabled, there can be visible tearing. Sweet spot for my setup is 1080p on High, or 1440p on Mid.

Just a heads up, the min requirements stated are Ubuntu 16.04, or as I found out, specifically your /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 must support GLIBCXX_3.4.20 and GLIBCXX_3.4.21. You can check this with "strings /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 | grep GLIBCXX" to see if it's listed.

If it's not supported, you can manually install the libstdc++.so.6 from the Xenial repo and symlink it yourself (http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libstdc++6). Or use the ubuntu-toolchain-r/test PPA, although I had some issues using this method. I found just copying the file in worked fine and had less dependency issues.
[MadHatteR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 11:59 AM   #724
RnR

From earlier today...

Click to view full size!

Plays awesomely under wine (its own prefix with 'winetricks d3dx9_43 xact quartz')
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 9:08 AM   #725
Unframed

Full Throttle Remastered

https://www.gog.com/game/full_throttle_remastered
CoolerMaster CM Storm Stryker | AMD R7 1700 w/ Masterliquid 240 | ASRock X370 Fatal1ty | Sapphire RX Vega 64 Liquid | Samsung 840 120GB, Kingston Savage 480GB, Samsung 840 Evo 240GB, 2x 3TB Seagate | 64GB G.Skill 2400MHz | SteelSeries Apex M500/SteelSeries Rival 700 | Enermax Revolution87+ 1000W | LG 34UM88C, 2x Dell U2211H
Unframed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 9:35 AM   #726
[MadHatteR]

Hitman 50% off till next Tues - http://store.steampowered.com/app/236870/
Old 16th March 2017, 1:40 PM   #727
Quadbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unframed View Post
Oh god. Dont tell me that, I'll totally end up playing it through again lol
Quadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 1:53 PM   #728
Unframed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadbox View Post
Oh god. Dont tell me that, I'll totally end up playing it through again lol
Only $9 too
CoolerMaster CM Storm Stryker | AMD R7 1700 w/ Masterliquid 240 | ASRock X370 Fatal1ty | Sapphire RX Vega 64 Liquid | Samsung 840 120GB, Kingston Savage 480GB, Samsung 840 Evo 240GB, 2x 3TB Seagate | 64GB G.Skill 2400MHz | SteelSeries Apex M500/SteelSeries Rival 700 | Enermax Revolution87+ 1000W | LG 34UM88C, 2x Dell U2211H
Unframed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 7:43 PM   #729
DerekP

Alien Isolation Collection is on sale via Humble Bundle - $10US

I think i might finally get it!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/a...the-collection
DerekP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 9:44 AM   #730
[MadHatteR]

Humble Bundle has a Square Enix sale this weekend:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p...e-enix-weekend

Some of the Linux titles that I noticed:

Deus Ex Mankind Divided $17.99 (~$23 AUD)
Deus Ex Mankind Divided Digital Deluxe $26.99 (~$35 AUD)
Hitman $29.99 (~$39 AUD)
Lara Croft GO $4.99 (~$7 AUD)
Life is Strange $4.99 (~$7 AUD)
Tomb Raider GOTY Edition $7.49 (~$10 AUD)

Also, Dirt Rally is also on sale at Bundle Stars for $24 (~$31 AUD) [60% off]
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/dirt-rally-game

If anybody has played Deus Ex MD, do you think the Digital Deluxe with the two story DLC is worth it? I'm undecided, some people say they are quite minor stories along with one use DLC bonuses, but I would also like to have the full experience
Old 24th March 2017, 3:36 PM   #731
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MadHatteR] View Post
Life is Strange $4.99 (~$7 AUD)
Opinions on this?
Old 24th March 2017, 8:25 PM   #732
[MadHatteR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Opinions on this?
From what I gather from reading and seeing a bunch of reviews - you control a teenager in a small town in third-person, with the unusual ability to rewind time. It's heavily story and dialog driven, a well polished game and voiced game overall, divided into 5 chapters. Alot of the gameplay involves exploring areas and making difficult choices which can have unforeseen effects on future events (like the Butterfly Effect), and the story eventually gets into a murder/kidnapping/mystery and the end of the world.

First episode is free on Steam to get a taste of the game (also has a 96% rating) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/319630/
Old 24th March 2017, 8:30 PM   #733
[MadHatteR]

On an unrelated note, after reading some more about Deus Ex MD, it appears Linux performance takes quite a hit compared to Windows. My machine (4690/GTX980) won't be able to run it on very high (or even high) at 1080p without dropping well under 60fps. Feral recommends an i7-3770K + GTX 1060 on their site. Oh well, maybe when I upgrade later in the year.

It seems Windows has a substantial advantage across the board. I also had to refund Hitman from the last Steam sale for the reason of poor performance, some levels (like Marrakesh) drop to under 20 fps even on low/med settings in the main area, basically unplayable. Bit unfortunate.

Graph source: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...nd-review.8457
Old 24th March 2017, 9:01 PM   #734
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MadHatteR] View Post
It seems Windows has a substantial advantage across the board.
Varies wildly game to game, but it's the same old story as the console wars - lazy ports suck no matter which way they're ported (relevant example: Bayonetta on PS3 versus XBox360).

Valve demonstrated with very little effort on their behalf they could get ported games on Linux blitzing Windows benchmarks (helped along quite a bit by its big fat macrokernel, which has plenty of disadvantages in certain areas, but lends itself nicely to speed). In the Pro3D world this is certainly true - Linux does a way better job, but there's huge financial incentives for developers to put the effort in.

I think the rolling average we see today is exactly this - lazy ports. But with that said, I can't blame devs for only putting minor effort in. Chances are most Linux ports come down to one or two people in the company putting in the effort for their own reasons, and the amount of time they can dedicate to doing so isn't going to be massive (hours spent equals wages, and the return on investment needs to be worth it).

Quite commonly smaller indie games are where there's parity in performance. Many indie devs note that putting the effort into both Linux and Mac ports is worth it for them, because they're the most commonly purchased games by those OS users.
Old 24th March 2017, 10:08 PM   #735
[MadHatteR]

Fair point, in this case both the Hitman and Mankind Divided ports have been done by Feral Interactive, which are also the team behind porting XCOM, XCOM 2, Total War, F1 2015, Grid and Company of Heroes 2, amongst many others. Though they are primarily porting for Mac, I saw this interesting interview with their Linux team two days ago discussing their ports over the last few years (they started porting in to Linux in 2014) and their involvement with Mesa and Vulkan.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...evelopers.9356

It's also worth noting that Hitman runs terribly on Windows as well in some levels, the Steam and IO forums are filled with people with high-end hardware who get terrible frame dips. I think it's an engine or optimisation thing, which led me to find it's running on the 'Glacier 2' engine, which was developed entirely in-house by IO Interactive. Lo and behold, Eidos Montreal ended up using a modified Glacier 2 engine for Deus Ex Mankind Divided, which explains a few things. At their best, both games can be visually breathtaking, but perhaps struggles at times with performance.