Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 25th February 2017, 7:04 PM   #1
rickbishop Thread Starter

Default tablet not charging when turned on

Ok, Asus vivotab smart me400c. It's a pretty basic tablet that came with win 8, but it runs win10 fine.

The problem is that it no longer charges, but only when it's turned on. When it's off, it charges fine.

I've reloaded windows, removed the battery control driver and reinstalled, pretty much everything I can find on google short of pulling the thing apart and replacing the battery.

Tried multiple chargers, multiple cables, and they all get the same result.

Is there a registry hack that can force it to charge? Any ideas?
rickbishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 26th February 2017, 4:42 AM   #2
Hater

Are you using the official power supply?

Maybe the charger isn't outputting enough power for it to charge while also powering the screen, processor etc.
Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 8:40 AM   #3

Yep, both official power supply (rated at 2 amps) with the official cable, and third party power supplies (rated at 2.4 amps) with different cables and all combinations thereof.

Downloaded battery monitoring software, and it's saying that it's not drawing any current at all from the charger.
Old 26th February 2017, 9:06 AM   #4
VirtualNinja

This issue seems to get a quite a few hits in google. the third party chargers are they a good quality charger or a yum cha?

Most of what I quickly read points to the original charger failing to supply enough current 2A when on but it will charge at a lower amperage when off.

Also most micro USB cables stuggle to deal with 2A you need to get hold of one that is designed to handle 2A.

Do you or a friend have a Samsung S5 or higher or simillar andriod device. Those chargers Are 2A I have a couple and the cables are good. If so try it on one of those.
VirtualNinja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 10:45 AM   #5
warhead

I had something like this happen to my dell laptop when I upgraded to Win10, it would say it's plugged in but not charging.
It's some new battery management feature where it won't charge if it's over x % full.

Try letting your tablet drain down to about 40-50% and see if it'll charge then.
Old 26th February 2017, 11:23 AM   #6

Yeah, the other chargers I've tried definitely pump out 2.4 amps. I've even considered trying my 3 amp USB C charger (run USB C to USB A, then the OTG cable to adapt back to usb micro).

And this behaviour happens no matter what percentage the battery is at, so the "not charging if it's over x%" thing doesn't really apply.

Makes me wonder if there's a registry or driver setting that can be changed to make it charge.
Old 18th March 2017, 11:25 AM   #7

The plot thickens.

Apparently it will charge while the screen is off. The tablet is still on, just the screen has turned off while it's downloading updates.

Asus reckon it's a hardware fault, but because it's out of warranty, they want $50 just to look at it, plus $20 each way for freight, and that's without even fixing it. Hardly worth it as I can get something new for $250.