Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th March 2017, 1:00 PM   #31
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y.chrono&hl=en

Holy crap, this is actually on Google Play as a legit purchase! How did I not know that?

Updating OP...
oh wow, didn't even realise but being Square should have assumed it I guess - they have quite a lot of games on Android, they tend to be on the expensive side though.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th March 2017, 1:03 PM   #32
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
oh wow, didn't even realise but being Square should have assumed it I guess - they have quite a lot of games on Android, they tend to be on the expensive side though.
Yeah, $14-ish for both. Dunno if that's USD or not, so it might be a bigger sting.

Looks like the controls have been improved dramatically for mobile though, so that's a plus. Given you can't buy this anywhere else, I'm considering buying a version just to show some support for it, even if I don't play it that way.
Old 7th March 2017, 1:07 PM   #33
power

Quote:
Yeah, $14-ish for both. Dunno if that's USD or not, so it might be a bigger sting.

Looks like the controls have been improved dramatically for mobile though, so that's a plus. Given you can't buy this anywhere else, I'm considering buying a version just to show some support for it, even if I don't play it that way.
I'm also thinking it would be quite nice on a tablet too rather than the pokey little GP2X screen or blown up on one of my PC's.

It does look like a game that might lend itself well to touch controls. Many don't as we all know too well.
Old 7th March 2017, 1:08 PM   #34
samus

Finished it again last night.

Spoiler below, highlight to read:
Did the super weird ending where you have to beat Lavos with just Chrono and marle aka "The Dream Project". Was a very hard, long battle.

I'm playing it on Windows 7, via ZSNES (still the best emulator in my opinion, maybe just because I've been using it for such a long time) with an xbox 360 controller. This is for just quality of life though, I like having fast forward and save states bound to controller buttons.

Thanks elvis for organising these games.

OCAU Mercedes Benz Club Member #2

Last edited by samus; 7th March 2017 at 1:10 PM.
samus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 1:16 PM   #35
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
It does look like a game that might lend itself well to touch controls. Many don't as we all know too well.
Yeah for sure. Anything non-realtime lends itself well to touch devices. I think JRPGs as a genre are the perfect game to put on current gen mobile phones and tablets. I would hope that developers and publishers take the effort to port these, and not just do lazy emulations with crappy virtual buttons.

(I'm listening podcasts about Shin Megami Tensei: Persona at the moment. A quick google suggests that the port of that to Android is very lazy, which is a shame. I hope others do a better job).
Old 7th March 2017, 1:17 PM   #36
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by samus View Post
Thanks elvis for organising these games.
I am merely the curator. The public votes for what the public wants.
Old 8th March 2017, 11:16 AM   #37
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

So for my birthday I got a Switch and the new Zelda. This is going to be a tough split for free time (first world problems).

Finally put an hour into this last night. Very early into the story. My completionist OCD is struggling in that I know I've missed things and can't go back, but I guess that's why you play these things through a couple of times.

I'm playing on DS with the default game settings, which includes two battle modes: "Active" (time continues ticking over during battles, enemies can attack while you wait/plan/fluff-about-in-menus), and "Wait" (time stops when you're in menus, traditional turn-based).

"Active" is the default for DS. Can someone tell me what the default for SNES is? Keen to play in the most SNES-like mode (until I can get my goddamn flash cart working).
Old 8th March 2017, 11:35 AM   #38
power

Quote:
So for my birthday I got a Switch and the new Zelda. This is going to be a tough split for free time (first world problems).

Finally put an hour into this last night. Very early into the story. My completionist OCD is struggling in that I know I've missed things and can't go back, but I guess that's why you play these things through a couple of times.

I'm playing on DS with the default game settings, which includes two battle modes: "Active" (time continues ticking over during battles, enemies can attack while you wait/plan/fluff-about-in-menus), and "Wait" (time stops when you're in menus, traditional turn-based).

"Active" is the default for DS. Can someone tell me what the default for SNES is? Keen to play in the most SNES-like mode (until I can get my goddamn flash cart working).
when I started the game up it had both modes and you choose, Active is default assume because first alphabetically?
Old 8th March 2017, 2:04 PM   #39
nimmers

Quote:
when I started the game up it had both modes and you choose, Active is default assume because first alphabetically?
I'm a "wait" kinda guy myself. It's just personal preference.
nimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 2:08 PM   #40
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimmers View Post
I'm a "wait" kinda guy myself. It's just personal preference.
I don't think I'm clever/skilled/fast enough to use "Active". Maybe on a second run through once I get used to the attacks, techs, spells and skills.
Old 8th March 2017, 3:24 PM   #41
samus

Quote:
Can confirm default is Active. I've never ever (on SNES, DS or emu) played it in Wait. I assume it's the more traditional FF*/Secret of Mana/*bound style.

The only real difference it forces you to think ahead faster, for example when you have a boss with Spoiler below, highlight to read:
changing elemental weakness'
, you have to manage the timer's of your party to do sweet Spoiler below, highlight to read:
Triple Tech
attacks, and not die in the process.

Also congrats on the Switch, I'm waiting to see what homebrew I can run on it, and what the modding community does.

OCAU Mercedes Benz Club Member #2

Last edited by samus; 8th March 2017 at 3:28 PM.
samus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 3:44 PM   #42
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Can confirm default is Active.
Ta. I'll try to persist with it a bit more, but I can see myself switching to "Wait" for tougher battles, because I suck at these things.

Quote:
Wait. I assume it's the more traditional FF*/Secret of Mana/*bound style.
Secret of Mana is realtime - at least, what I would call realtime. (Not a JRPG guru, so maybe I've got my terms mixed up?).

But yeah, traditional FF is what I would call "Wait" style turn based.

Quote:
Also congrats on the Switch, I'm waiting to see what homebrew I can run on it, and what the modding community does.
I'm less excited about modding consoles these days. PCs and Raspberry Pis fill my need to tinker nicely (especially the Pi). What I hope to see is Nintendo do a much better job of backing retro gaming, and really improving their Virtual Console service. It's been pretty good so far across a few of their consoles (WiiU dropped the ball a bit, but that's the same for everything it did, not just retro), but they really need to release the handbrake and go wild.

But anyways, that's off topic. Kinda. I can't buy Chrono Trigger on WiiVC any more, and it should be available on Switch!
Old 18th March 2017, 7:11 PM   #43
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Still churning away at this even though Breath of the Wild is taking up so much of my gaming time. Playing on DS is nice, as I can play this while I'm waiting for the kids various sporting events each week.

Made it back to present day the first time around. If this is an "easy" RPG, then it re-inforces just how much I suck at RPGs. Although I can see how you'd rip through this on a second play (a lot of my stumbling is just not knowing which switch controls which part of a map or puzzle).

Keen to see this through to the end, but it's going to be a long churn with Zelda in the way. If only this had been voted in back in January.
Old 23rd April 2017, 1:58 PM   #44
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

As above, playing this ad hoc (mostly while waiting for the kids to do their sporting activities, as I'm playing it on Nintendo DS), but struggling to get into it. I just don't think I'm made for JRPGs. Taking a squiz at a longplay video, I don't think I'm even 10% in, and I'm really pushing myself to pick this up and play it.

I'm afraid I'm going to bail on this. Sorry JRPG fans.
Old 24th April 2017, 3:54 AM   #45
schmoove

I played this through for the first time on SNES about 4 months ago - so I'm sorry I can't play it through again now.
Fantastic game - probably the best SNES RPG I've ever played.
(I played through Mana afterwards and CT is way better)

Having said all that I have to use a walkthrough guide from gamefaq these days as I haven't got the time to play through without.
There is no shame using a walkthrough! It's about the journey - not the achievement.

CT is definitely one of the greatest
Edit: also no grinding necessary
Trades with: rage, dufflover, ummmz, kimnkk, jlien, Pianist, Boink, Tekin, orndorf, theFish, MAXKNOTT, i4560011, search, antstar, Ma Baker, Dinuc, stuii, Dollie, kr0k, Fettrix, WCE07, Beaistheman, Hardboiled, Opti ....... "Pacman is just a neo-Marxist parable of late capitalism"
"Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge on the subject is The Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkin's on theology"
schmoove is offline   Reply With Quote