OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 18th March 2017, 9:39 PM   #16
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
i straightened the pins but when i start, it stops at b0 Runtime AP installation begins.

i think it might be a problem that I am using 4133MHz DDR4. shouldnt it just downclock it? but i dont have any other ram to test...
I wouldn't be blaming the RAM personally. Yes, it should downclock it, although it might take a couple reboots to decide on a setting that works.

You haven't necessarily fixed the pins. Lining them all up in straight lines etc is a start, but you need them to be correct on 3 axis.. the two straight lines AND the height.

Hold the board in your hand under good light and rotate it, so you can get a good look at it from all directions. Its possible that a pin looks fine from above, but is just a mickey hair lower than the rest of them... therefore not making contact with its corresponding pad with sufficient pressure if at all. Try to look at the pins from the side and see if any are lower than the rest, or just don't look quite right compared to the others.

Look for gaps too.. sometimes a bent pin can be virtually hidden under another pin, and the only clue you have is a gap between pins where it should have been.

To adjust height you are going to need very good eyes and light (or a magnifier with light as I use) and a needle. It would need to be a pretty tiny screwdriver to fix pin height, you need to get under one pin without pressing on its neighbour and even knife blades look pretty thick under a magnified pin, let alone screwdrivers.

My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 18th March 2017 at 9:44 PM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th March 2017, 12:47 AM   #17
Moarkill

A clothes pin or sewing needle is the trick. I purchased a z68 board from here years ago and when it arrived it had 6 bent pins. Managed to straighten them. The pins will leave a small indentation in the ads.. Make sure you can see this for all pads.
Old 19th March 2017, 3:37 PM   #18
newlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
Can you take a close up high res pic of the socket? If its only a few pins as you say, it is probably repairable. I've fixed quite a few.
I've managed to fix a z77 board with approx 100-200 bent pins and fixed it with a toothpick and no magnifying glass but it isn't how many are bent but how badly they are bent
newlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 9:39 AM   #19
Luke212 Thread Starter

im going to check the pins again under magnifying glass and then flash bios as well.

gskill is fucking annoying they dont list SPD ratings for their ram: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-4133c19d-16gtza
what sort of manufacturer doesnt list their SPDs? i cant find SPD table anywhere online ! another question, will the ram run at all at 1.2v which is the default for x99?

i have some low speed ddr4 coming as well in next few days as a last ditch effort to test!

Last edited by Luke212; 20th March 2017 at 9:51 AM.
Luke212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 11:09 AM   #20
Ratzz

Pretty much all modern desktop boards default at 1.2v. My Z270 does, for instance.

XMP changes voltages, clocks, whatever it needs to do to achieve the speed its rated at.

My GSKill 3200 runs XMP 15-15-15-35 @ 1.35V, of course it will run faster or slower, but the voltages require change.

I can for instance run them at 3200 10-10-10-28, but I use 1.7v for that

I have some Corsair LPX 4266 here which runs XMP 19-26-26-46 @ 1.4v, but to achieve that it attempts to change the BLCK to 103.5.. my board won't boot into Windows with that RAM at XMP settings.

That's probably a limitation of my little ITX board in the case of it not booting @ XMP, but the same ram will definitely post on auto, at 2400/1.2v. I've actually had it at 4000 17-18-18-36, but using 1.4v. The tighter the timings, the more volts needed in the case of those sticks. I cannot make them run faster than 4000, no matter what, on my board.

They certainly post into BIOS every time without fail though, @ 2400 1.2v.

I think the official chipset limitation for Z170 is something like 3733+ and for Z270 is 4133+. The ( + ) is pot luck from what I can figure.

Z170 defaults to 2133 @ 1.2v, Z270 defaults to 2400 @ 1.2v. I'm pretty sure X99 defaults ram speeds at 2133 15-15-15 @ 1.2v.
Yours should behave the same way, unless there is some mystery I'm unaware of with X99.

I'm pretty sure there is a hard limit of 4133 for DDR4 in Kaby Lake, not sure about X99. That's why my board won't do 4266 without changing the BLCK to compensate.

So, to cut the previous story short, if you can't even post with your 4133 RAM installed, then either the RAM or the board is faulty. Look closer at those pins !!

My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 20th March 2017 at 3:06 PM.
Old 21st March 2017, 8:02 PM   #21
Luke212 Thread Starter

i was able to get in to bios using two cheap dd4 sticks i aquired.

but they only work in the first two dimm slots. if i do 1 and 3 i get LED error. if i add a 3rd cheapo stick, i also get errors.

the DDR4 4133 doesnt work at all in first two slots.
Old 21st March 2017, 8:27 PM   #22
Ratzz

Pins are fussy little buggers.

You might learn a little about just how fussy by having a look at THIS THREAD.

Should make an interesting read if nothing else...

Somewhat lacking in decent photos, but apart from the visible damage, there were a large number of pins which were just a little depressed. A needle under their arse cheered them up somewhat Op had dropped the board or something and caught it on the way down.. with his thumb in the socket.

This board finished up surviving, but has no onboard video and one memory channel channel dead, so its up and running just fine according to the OP, albeit with only 2 memory sticks in single channel mode, and still gaming with a GTX 780.

Pins can LOOK just fine, but it only takes the tiniest difference in adjustment to make the difference between hitting the wrong pad, hitting the right pad, or simply not hitting any pad at all.

Some pins being missing or incorrect can have no effect on the board at all.. many are just additional power feed or earths that the socket can do without if necessary. Others are vital, and will stop stuff from working, like the CPU itself, the onboard graphics, memory channels..

Every time you supply more info, the more I am convinced that you haven't got the pins right..

My Rig
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:46 AM   #23
Potplanty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
i was able to get in to bios using two cheap dd4 sticks i aquired.

but they only work in the first two dimm slots. if i do 1 and 3 i get LED error. if i add a 3rd cheapo stick, i also get errors.

the DDR4 4133 doesnt work at all in first two slots.
Maybe your board requires the RAM in sockets 1+2 not 1+3. Also, dual channel most likely. Read the bloody manual and none of these issues would have happened.
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:56 AM   #24
Luke212 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potplanty View Post
Maybe your board requires the RAM in sockets 1+2 not 1+3. Also, dual channel most likely. Read the bloody manual and none of these issues would have happened.
actually you are right, it says to do:

3 + 6
1 + 3 + 6 + 8
1 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 8

pretty fucking weird

i cant wait to get home and try!

Edit: no change

Last edited by Luke212; 23rd March 2017 at 10:53 PM.
Luke212 is offline   Reply With Quote