OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 28th February 2017, 6:07 PM   #7456
fredhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mils1 View Post
GH at 6-7 after water change, before water change GH will be higher (8-10). KH should be no less than 4 after water change. Don't waste your time collecting rainwater, keeping your PH stable is more important.
Thanks again for the tip, what Aquavitro product are you using (carbonate / balance?) and what's your application? Also you mentioned the API Master Testkit is fairly basic, would you recommend an alternative - i.e. is there any point testing for separate CA, Mg, Phosphates etc. for a small tropical tank?

I've been doing a bit of reading over at FishLore but haven't gotten through the AAP article (gave up trying to understand Redox a while back as well). I'll start off with working out what the Tap is giving me after 24-48hrs as a baseline and then decide if/how to buffer KH and reduce GH.

I should have bought a dog for my daughter's last birthday, now is far too late as we're all attached to these fish and I want a bigger tank!
Go soothingly on the grease mud as there lurks a skid demon.
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 28th February 2017, 10:05 PM   #7457
mils1

The aquavitro carbonate and mineralize have KH and GH written on the bottle. I personally would get a 4ft tank if you want to get a bigger tank.
mils1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 7:14 PM   #7458
fredhoon

A 4ft tank is definitely on the shopping list, just need to find the right 2nd hand setup for a good price. I did consider a cheap 6ft tank & stand but they are massive and too big a step up for my present level of experience.

As for the tank that started my original question, it's finally finished re-cycling and hopefully settling down. All the reading I have been doing about GH & KH has suggested that the cause of my fish problems and subsequent medication would be unsuitable water parameters - i.e. low pH / GH tropical fish which are not suited for Brisbane's high pH / medium GH tap water. In hindsight I should have chosen fish that were better suited to the water available.

I've still got a bit of reading to do, however I'll try my hand at maintaining a stable KH / GH (& TDS) range with Peat, Driftwood & shells/stones instead of chemical buffers. Macropore (aka Purigen / salt generator) had already been removed from the filter to re-seed it, which I'll replace with sphangum, peat and roobis tea bit by bit.

I'll leave these links here for any other inexperienced fish keepers (such as myself) that may run into similar issues with their Amazon / SEAsian fish...

http://web.archive.org/web/200412050.../10IonExch.asp
http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3480
http://web.archive.org/web/200410290...at%20page.html
Old 14th March 2017, 11:09 PM   #7459
Optimus.

So where do people get their plants from?

I've set up my blank slate and now need to source some plants before wetting it down. I'm planning to DSM it.
http://i.imgur.com/IPJjmOM.png

Pretty sure the sand will be disappearing soon...

Any suggestions for the 'plant bed'? I'm thinking a nice big red mid-tank bushy plant would be good.

I'm also finally having some success with propagating plants in a mini-nursery (so far a single stem of HC has been trimmed/replanted 3 times in 2 weeks + have some lillaeopsis spreading nicely).
Optimus. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 10:26 PM   #7460
fredhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus. View Post
So where do people get their plants from?
Where are you located?

I have no direct experience myself as I've only ever bought overpriced snail ridden plants from fish shops, however I've noticed quite a few Facebook groups for specific types of aquarium trading, with plenty of ads for plant and fish stalls at the Rocklea Markets in Brisbane. QLDAF.com also has an active Plant section which appears to ship all over the country.
Old 17th March 2017, 2:30 PM   #7461
Optimus.

Thanks for the tips!

I've previously bought from some suppliers directly. Might give that a go. I hope to propagate some plants myself.
Optimus. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 9:22 PM   #7462
t00ch

I've had a tropical tank running for the last couple of months (successfully!), and just wondering something. When I bought the tank, I was told by the guy at the shop that I had to use this https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/aqu...ing-salts.html in addition to a normal conditioner https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/nut...lus-120ml.html.

Do I need those salts? I realise that I need the conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramine, but not sure about the salts. If it's of benefit, I don't mind the additional cost as it's minimal.
t00ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 11:12 PM   #7463
callan

Quote:
Originally Posted by t00ch View Post
I've had a tropical tank running for the last couple of months (successfully!), and just wondering something. When I bought the tank, I was told by the guy at the shop that I had to use this https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/aqu...ing-salts.html in addition to a normal conditioner https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/nut...lus-120ml.html.

Do I need those salts? I realise that I need the conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramine, but not sure about the salts. If it's of benefit, I don't mind the additional cost as it's minimal.
I sure-as hell don't like the idea of tipping valerian into any aquarium - sounds a lot like quackery. I use this stuff and my fish are still alive. (not tropical, it must be said). I frankly doubt the ability of any of them to deal with chloromines in a timely fashion, either.

I'm a bit surprised, as Amazing Amazon are just down the road from where I live. I've been there a few times, they've been in business for decades, and seem to know their stuff.

Callan
Old 20th March 2017, 8:10 AM   #7464
t00ch

Thanks Callan. The guy who served me was one of the weekend staff I think, and he seemed to be in a rush. He certainly wasn't as helpful as the other people I'd dealt with there who definitely seemed to know their stuff. He also told me that fishless cycling was a waste of time and just to use feeder goldfish and then 'get rid of them'.

I had done enough research to promptly ignore that part of his advice, but I'd just accepted the part about the salts and only really thought about it the other day when doing a regular water change.
Old 20th March 2017, 9:29 AM   #7465
callan

Quote:
Originally Posted by t00ch View Post
Thanks Callan. The guy who served me was one of the weekend staff I think, and he seemed to be in a rush. He certainly wasn't as helpful as the other people I'd dealt with there who definitely seemed to know their stuff. He also told me that fishless cycling was a waste of time and just to use feeder goldfish and then 'get rid of them'.
Wait - whaa???? He should not be working in any pet shop.

As to the salts: well I don't have tropical fish, so I really can't comment. I just stick to managing the nitrogen cycle, keeping it clean and keeping my fishbabies happy. All which seems to be going well.

Callan
Old 20th March 2017, 11:16 AM   #7466
MUTMAN

depends on the fish you have.
as an exampke guppies like a bit of salt, helps with spawning apparently.
loachs of any kind do not like any salt.
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 1:50 PM   #7467
t00ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by callan View Post
Wait - whaa???? He should not be working in any pet shop.
Yeah I was pretty shocked to hear that advice from a respected shop. I was at least an informed newbie, whereas complete newbies would probably have taken that as expert advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
depends on the fish you have.
as an exampke guppies like a bit of salt, helps with spawning apparently.
loachs of any kind do not like any salt.
I've got 3 male guppies in the tank, and 5 Danios at the moment. I plan to add some more fish in a week or 2, not sure exactly what yet.

I guess I'll just use the salt up for now and then probably won't buy any more.
Old 21st March 2017, 9:36 AM   #7468
Lupuscrux

to me those"salts" are to increase your General hardness, have you tested those parameters (GH/KH) in your tank? as I had to use something similar in mine as the soil and drift wood killed my gh/kh to the point where it was no good for fish.
Old 21st March 2017, 9:41 PM   #7469
MUTMAN

unless your town water is plain toxic (sydney ) just using ordinary tap water with some ager is going to be suficient for most peeps.
esp. if you're starting out. K.I.S.S. is excellent advice, your fish will adjust and everything will be close enough to fine to start learning and fine tuning from there
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 6:10 AM   #7470
spedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
if you're starting out. K.I.S.S. is excellent advice, your fish will adjust and everything will be close enough to fine to start learning and fine tuning from there
This is good advice! Your fish will prefer consistency over perfection.