Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Electronics & Electrics

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th March 2017, 10:04 PM   #1
fox1 Thread Starter

Default Sonoff TH10/16, legals...

Ok so, attempting to find if using a Sonoff is legal in Australia.

I've seen a couple of random posts saying "doesn't have a C-Tick, not legal", but I'm having trouble deciphering the jargon found on regulatory sites as to if that is the truth or not.

Sonoff has had some of their newer gear tested against the European standards, "Safety 60669-1:1999+A1:2002+A2:2008 & EN 60669-2-1: 2004+A1:2009+A12:2010", and some of the ACMA doco recognises/acknowledges it:

Acma faq
Quote:
Q: What EMC standards are recognised by the ACMA?

A: The ACMA recognises the European Norm (EN), International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), International Special Committee on Radio Interference (CISPR) and Australian / New Zealand standards (AS/NZS) on the ACMA Website.
and here where they mention the EN standard.

Can anyone help enlighten me?

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st March 2017, 12:04 AM   #2
mtma

Generally if the manufacturer has legitimately obtained CE, the lions share of compliance testing and documentation to support C-tick or RCM will be available. Also the C-tick and RCM process is used to regulate Australian suppliers of equipment, so in this case whilst underlying compliance is relevant, obtaining it may not be so much if you are only using the device.

However, in the case of radio devices, if you were to import it yourself they may not comply to the local regulations in regards to spectrum use, emission levels and possibly other aspects, which if it is the case then merely using it is indeed illegal and penalties may be applied if ACMA come and do an investigation and find it.

Pretty much this:
http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Spect...a-dodgy-device

and in slightly longer form:
http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Spect...yer-beware-1-1
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 7:26 AM   #3
RobRoySyd

If as claimed these devices are already widely sold in Europe and elsewhere and it does operate in the 2.4GHz LIPD part of the spectrum hard to imagine there'll be any unexpected knocks on the door. Reading through their support forum users are already flashing these units to work with other systems via HA Bridge.
Old 21st March 2017, 1:40 PM   #4
PabloEscobar

however, they come with terminals, not plugs, and as such, require an electrician to install them

I'm not sure any electricians will sign-off of the install of them, because they are essentially an ' untested black box from china'.
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 4:05 PM   #5
RobRoySyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
however, they come with terminals, not plugs, and as such, require an electrician to install them
That's only the case if they're to be installed as is. As the device doesn't have C-Tick approval no licenced electrician would connect it to fixed wiring and it would be illegal for anyone else to do so.

There's another solution. A 3 pin plug and socket can be fitted by anyone in at least NSW. As should be obvious to make the device safe for such use fitting it into a robust ABS plastic box would be mandatory. Cable glands would also be required. I've gone a bit overboard and fitted IEC connectors for mains in/out to the various timers and controllers I've made into "appliances".

On the other hand if the OP does want to have these wired in there does appear to be a number of functionally similar devices sold in Au that are C-Tick approved etc.. They might be a tad more expensive but in the grand scheme of things the added cost should be trivial. At the least as this is for home automation using equipment from well known Australian vendors makes a lot of sense in the long term.
Old 21st March 2017, 6:32 PM   #6
paulvk

What gets me with this idea of IOT is why would you hand over the control of the gear in your house to some server run by somebody else, its going to hacked and will that not be fun !
paulvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 10:46 PM   #7
fox1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the posts everyone! Appreciated.

RobRoySyd, Functionally similar devices but my requirements were exactly matched by these little beauties. The others I've found from AU vendors all require a proprietary hub and run over zigbee or zwave. These contain an ESP8266 and so they connect directly to 802.11, and cost less than $20AUD

Paulvk, I flash them with custom firmware, connect them to software I've written, running on a server on my internal network.
But I do agree with you for those others devices on the market that require a permanent internet connection and controlled via external services. Just crazy.
Old 22nd March 2017, 7:34 PM   #8
paulvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1 View Post
I flash them with custom firmware, connect them to software I've written, running on a server on my internal network.
I would like would to be able to send them a command to switch them on/off but no details of what to send.
Old 22nd March 2017, 7:39 PM   #9
Renza

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvk View Post
I would like would to be able to send them a command to switch them on/off but no details of what to send.
You can set them up with MQTT and just toggle them on/off by posting to the topic. Look up MQTT and there's heaps of info
Renza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:05 PM   #10
paulvk

I know but I do not want to run a MQTT server or any sever just want to send them a simple command.
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:48 PM   #11
Renza

they run an ESP8266 chip, so just write up a small sketch to accept raw tcp packets and perform actions based on what is received. Should be fairly trivial if you've programmed an Arduino or similar before.
Renza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:58 PM   #12
davros123

John at http://www.superhouse.tv/ has a bunch of info..

http://www.superhouse.tv/17-home-aut...nhab-and-mqtt/
yeah well I just reported my own post...ferk....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
If you have become content with the size of your e-penis, sticking clear of rack mounted stuff will save you heaps of $$$.
davros123 is offline   Reply With Quote