Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th March 2013, 8:51 PM   #76
Stevros

Im definitely not sold on it. Looks like any other mmo to me. If it didnt have the elder scrolls tag on it, i wouldnt be able to tell it was an ES game.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 26th March 2013, 11:34 AM   #77
7yphon

This game could be good as long as they don't move towards the Free to Play model that killed TOR

Worst Mistake "As well as other things" they ever did

WOW still manages to pull me in "Bastards" lvling a monk to 90 :P
7yphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 5:50 AM   #78
ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yphon View Post
This game could be good as long as they don't move towards the Free to Play model that killed TOR

Worst Mistake "As well as other things" they ever did

WOW still manages to pull me in "Bastards" lvling a monk to 90 :P

How did Free to Play kill TOR?

When Aion went FtP last year, it was the best thing every, the server population soared.

- Ernie.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 6:53 AM   #79
Silent Remorse
GAMING OVERLORD

I went over to Baltimore to play this for Games.On.Net a few weeks ago.

http://games.on.net/2013/03/australi...crolls-online/

http://games.on.net/2013/03/we-team-...crolls-online/

Happy to answer any questions There is another interview going up this week.
Old 27th March 2013, 8:15 AM   #80
Exige
(Banned or Deleted)

Impressions ? Expectations ?

Anything that hasn't featured in previous previews would be good too !
Exige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 8:19 AM   #81
Silent Remorse
GAMING OVERLORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exige View Post
Impressions ? Expectations ?

Anything that hasn't featured in previous previews would be good too !
There's quite a lot in the articles I linked that cover both of those things, but if you have any specific questions about elements I'm happy to answer them.

The second interview is quite long but very revealing.
Old 27th March 2013, 9:27 AM   #82
Exige
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Remorse View Post
There's quite a lot in the articles I linked that cover both of those things, but if you have any specific questions about elements I'm happy to answer them.

The second interview is quite long but very revealing.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were linking your own articles !

I'll find some time later today to read them and I'll come back with a mountain of questions. It's the first MMORPG I've wanted to play, and one of my top 5 games I'm excited about this year.
Exige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 10:46 AM   #83
7yphon

When a MMO becomes free to play I find it's pay to win
I feel if they stay to sub then the community is a little better off
They could have dropped the price for subs, By no means did they need to move to FTP then they could have gone "You know what lets make it $8 a month"

Instead they sting you for "FUN" Items or Gear on the Black Market/shop

Like I said it wasn't the only mistake TOR made

I found it fun at first but there was a lot that let it down, And it was a little too late when they tried to fix the issues.

I hope ESO takes a book out of WOW success and learns from that.

IE. Add fun Vanity Items
Storage Space in Bags/Banks
Guild lvling system or something of sorts
Mounts & Pets "Flying or Non Flying"
Crafting System

These are just a few I can name off the top of my head.

I didn't get into the first wave of Beta Invites so I'm a little sad I won't be able to write a review up myself about it but o well that's the way it goes
Old 27th March 2013, 8:06 PM   #84
Stevros

Id imagine the vast majority of people would realise this but when an MMO goes free to play, its not exactly the most desirable outcome for the publisher of the game. Its a last resort due to rapidly dropping subscriptions. MMO's need people in them to survive, if subscriptions drop too much then it becomes impossible to resurrect the game, making it worth nothing to anyone. Going free to play boosts the subscriptions back up and is a last dig at a few dollars before the game dies off completely, its like squeezing the last bit of milk out of the cash cow.

Anyway, my main question would be how close is this game to an elder scrolls game? Are we talking about a generic reskinned mmo just set in the Elder scrolls world?
Old 27th March 2013, 10:14 PM   #85
ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevros View Post
Id imagine the vast majority of people would realise this but when an MMO goes free to play, its not exactly the most desirable outcome for the publisher of the game. Its a last resort due to rapidly dropping subscriptions. MMO's need people in them to survive, if subscriptions drop too much then it becomes impossible to resurrect the game, making it worth nothing to anyone. Going free to play boosts the subscriptions back up and is a last dig at a few dollars before the game dies off completely, its like squeezing the last bit of milk out of the cash cow.

Anyway, my main question would be how close is this game to an elder scrolls game? Are we talking about a generic reskinned mmo just set in the Elder scrolls world?
Guildwars and Guildwars 2 are both free to play as long as you purchase the initial game. There are no subscription fees. I think that's a better model than just making a game free to install and free to play.

When Aion went free to play, there was a large increase in bots and RMT spammers, as there is no cost associated with starting up as many accounts as you want to, so banning accounts becomes pointless. If they had even charged as little as $10/account it would have reduced the problem enormously.

- Ernie.
Old 28th March 2013, 6:15 PM   #86
Stevros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Guildwars and Guildwars 2 are both free to play as long as you purchase the initial game. There are no subscription fees. I think that's a better model than just making a game free to install and free to play.

When Aion went free to play, there was a large increase in bots and RMT spammers, as there is no cost associated with starting up as many accounts as you want to, so banning accounts becomes pointless. If they had even charged as little as $10/account it would have reduced the problem enormously.

- Ernie.
If you are paying for the game up front and there is no subscription, that's still not free to play. The original guild wars had many expansions that you also had to pay for. But like you I also enjoy that model much more than the sub fee model.

Aion at launch had so many bots that the chat feature was completely unusable. And the game at that stage was around 70 bucks up front with a sub fee.
Old 28th March 2013, 6:49 PM   #87
7yphon

and look at TOR now, They are already making plans on shutting down the Aus servers and merging everyone into the USA.

Such a shame a good game went into such a state
Old 28th March 2013, 7:18 PM   #88
ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevros View Post
If you are paying for the game up front and there is no subscription, that's still not free to play. The original guild wars had many expansions that you also had to pay for. But like you I also enjoy that model much more than the sub fee model.

Aion at launch had so many bots that the chat feature was completely unusable. And the game at that stage was around 70 bucks up front with a sub fee.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...-playing_games

The term "Free to play" does apply even of you have to purchase the game. See the business models on the above Wikipedia link.

- Ernie.
Old 28th March 2013, 10:17 PM   #89
Stevros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...-playing_games

The term "Free to play" does apply even of you have to purchase the game. See the business models on the above Wikipedia link.

- Ernie.
Says wikipedia..... I dont care what anyone says, if you have to pay for the game, its still technically not free to play. If you are buying a game and the game is telling you that its free to play simply because there is no subscription, then thats just marketing bullshit. Theirs no such thing as a free lunch.

Explain how you can play Guild wars 1 or guild wars 2 for free?
Old 30th March 2013, 10:34 AM   #90
Frenchpom

Well I signed up to the beta. Read an interesting article on Kotaku yesterday in regards to the lack of HUD. The HUD only pops up when necessary, which in turn focuses your attention on the graphics, and whats going on in the world. Something that I find quite appealing. The play through seemed quite positive.
Frenchpom is offline   Reply With Quote