Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 18th February 2013, 12:41 PM   #16
hoiquai

The russian starter planes start with 4 mg's, but in general if you're just starting I find that load up one of your starter planes with bombs, I think all nations have at least one starter with bombs and go after ground targets and other bi-planes.

You can shoot up other fighters as well, take advantage of your lower stalling speed and smaller turning circle/maneuverability.

Don't bother with pillboxes unless you have at least a 500kg bomb.

Don't forget to allocate crew points, they go up exponentially so initially its better to spread them out.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th February 2013, 5:00 PM   #17
onrelas

This is a great game. Only just started so I have no idea what I'm doing, but I've managed to get some kills in the beginner planes. Got a few "assist" achievements also because my guns are so weak and can't finish the job most of the time. Levelling seems to be slow which can be frustrating but the game is so much fun it doesn't really matter. Looking forward to being able to modify some planes soon.
I wonder how the tank and boat combat will develop. The whole project seems quite promising.
onrelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 2:20 AM   #18
Frenchpom Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoiquai View Post
The russian starter planes start with 4 mg's, but in general if you're just starting I find that load up one of your starter planes with bombs, I think all nations have at least one starter with bombs and go after ground targets and other bi-planes.

You can shoot up other fighters as well, take advantage of your lower stalling speed and smaller turning circle/maneuverability.

Don't bother with pillboxes unless you have at least a 500kg bomb.

Don't forget to allocate crew points, they go up exponentially so initially its better to spread them out.
Good call on the crew points. I really need to read a wiki or something on this game... I'm generally rolling with either the Brit's or the US. Quite like the Hurricane and Beaufort bomber.
Frenchpom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 9:19 AM   #19
Adarti

Im having fun with this game. Reached lvl 5, got some good planes from the USA side. using the Wildcat and getting some kills.

Came across someone with the Mig 15 jet. Luckily he was on my side.
Adarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 9:41 AM   #20
Frenchpom Thread Starter

Yeah jet's usually mean a quick death... I want some cannons. Sick of getting two shotted by cannon wielding russian planes lol. Don't forget guys you can change the weapon loadout for each of your aircraft. Can put 2 x 250lb bombs on your hurri mk2 for example. Whilst it takes about 5 minutes for them to reload, is still good to help take a few enemy tanks out before heading back to the air war
Old 23rd February 2013, 4:37 PM   #21
Pollywaffle

This game in fantastic and very well made for a free to play game. I can't believe how much fun I'm having with it and I'm only at level 4! I bought Crysis 3 the other day and have zero desire to play it while I'm hooked on this
Gaming rig: Intel i5 3570K @4.1ghz / Crossfired Sapphire 7950's / Asus P8Z77 WS / 16gb Corsair 2000mhz / 1000w SilverStone Strider Plus / Samsung S27A950D monitor / Cooler Master V8 heatsink / Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 tower
Pollywaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 6:34 PM   #22
WRC

When you're in cockpit view is there some way to lock your head so it doesn't move from looking straight out over the prop as you turn? Finding it quite hard to control the planes with mouse keyboard. Might have to get a joystick.
WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 9:32 PM   #23
SenorGrande

Is everyone using joysticks and rudder pedals with this game? Its maddeningly difficult and for some reason I keep trying to play it. I am sticking to this game longer than I did with world of tanks (which to me seems clunky and poorly finished compared to War Thunder). I think I really need some decent rudder pedals. Using the keyboard for rudder is shit. I wonder if I can use my RC-plane trainer controller for this game. haha.

Also, I finally got myself a Hurricane mk1 only to be sorely disappointed that it isn't much better than the furys and other starter planes. The only real improvement in combat is that it has better armaments. Its not that fast and its not as maneuverable as the bi-planes.

Anyway, last night I had some good matches but better still was watching the remaining game in spectate after I ran out of planes. Saw some fucking funny 'accidents' where three enemy planes were taken out when one fool decided to attack one of ours head-on... except there were two other enemies already following it. Dude managed to crash head-on into two of his own teammates. Our guy got away scot-free. I bet there was some abuse
SenorGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 9:44 PM   #24
Frenchpom Thread Starter

The hurri Mk1 isn't that bad. Fairly manoeuvrable with half decent armament. It is a bit slow though. Still, a great dogfighter. The Hurri Mk2 is a great little plane that packs a punch. Just got a Beaufighter last night. Jesus, those 4 cannons chew anything up in seconds. Rule No. 1, never go head to head with a Beaufighter! The number of idiots who tried it in Level 1 - 3 planes...

Me and my brother both role Beaufighters now, stay together at high altitude, nail any bombers that we come across and swoop down on unsuspecting fighters at lower levels. Works very well. Having a lot of fun with this game!
Old 24th February 2013, 1:42 PM   #25
SenorGrande

Well I now have several more planes... I lamed out and bought some of the 'gold' so and had a stack of leftover xp so I bought some planes. I now have a Hellcat mk1 and a hurricane mk2 and a spitfire mk1. The hurricane mk2 is waaay better, 12 machine guns really does some damage but the Hellcat is the fastest of them all. Actually one of the fastest planes available to the brits.

I also went and played some of the coop and single-player missions - its a load of fun and the AI isn't too bad either and is fairly competent at flying. Fighter-vs-fighter coop or ground attack coop is a lot of fun but bomber intercept coop is bullshit. Last mission I played there was about 2 dozen bombers and maybe a dozen fighters against four of us. There was no chance we'd win . Fucking he112b... The mission before that was an attack on port moresby and our team was the Japanese. Was pretty cool all four of us human players got in there, attacked some targets and chased off the P40 then we flew back to our base in formation. The japanese bi-planes aren't too good and I gave up air to air combat and focused on taking out the ground targets.
SenorGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 3:20 PM   #26
Pollywaffle

I really wish you got more XP for taking out ground targets! It's so frustrating taking out about 10AA guns, only to have someone who's taken out one or two planes get way more XP than you.
Gaming rig: Intel i5 3570K @4.1ghz / Crossfired Sapphire 7950's / Asus P8Z77 WS / 16gb Corsair 2000mhz / 1000w SilverStone Strider Plus / Samsung S27A950D monitor / Cooler Master V8 heatsink / Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 tower
Pollywaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 4:10 PM   #27
r8response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollywaffle View Post
I really wish you got more XP for taking out ground targets! It's so frustrating taking out about 10AA guns, only to have someone who's taken out one or two planes get way more XP than you.
AA aren't really worth much. When you start taking out tanks, that's when you see the XP.
r8response is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 8:01 PM   #28
mobius.ro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchpom View Post
Just got a Beaufighter last night. Jesus, those 4 cannons chew anything up in seconds. Rule No. 1, never go head to head with a Beaufighter! The number of idiots who tried it in Level 1 - 3 planes...
That why i always run my Beaufighter first . The amount of nubs that come head on to you at the start is

I think in one game i got 3 kills within 30 secs and a total of 15 in one round with just the Beaufighter.

Climb high then dive down
mobius.ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 10:22 PM   #29
Frenchpom Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.ro View Post
That why i always run my Beaufighter first . The amount of nubs that come head on to you at the start is

I think in one game i got 3 kills within 30 secs and a total of 15 in one round with just the Beaufighter.

Climb high then dive down
Yep, start with Beau, climb high, initiate carnage with cannons. Out of most planes in WT, the Beaufighter is still the one that gets me worried when I see one closing with me... Still, get on ones tail, and they're toast. The Beau has to stay fast and high, or it's screwed.

Just got lvl 6 with the Brit's, loving the Spit Mk2 with the 2 Hispano cannons and 4 MG's. Does quite a lot of damage and can turn with the best of them. Only problem is it rolls really slow which can be a pain. Russian planes piss me off, I reckon they're over powered. My brother roles with them, he reckons the same.
Old 26th February 2013, 10:48 AM   #30
DivHunter

lol Russian game, Russian bias.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote