Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 14th March 2013, 9:47 AM   #61
DivHunter

Played some Beaufighter last night. Cannons just ruin people. You are certainly not indestructable but when you hit things they die apart from some of the single engine bombers which take quite a pounding.

Raephix (http://www.twitch.tv/raephix/new) and I had games where we scored up to 30 air kills between us with minimal to no losses. Winning games from a long way back purely by destroying all opposing planes.

We now have "Any Available" set instead of EU as you get games faster often with better players and when on the RU server the difference in ping isn't really noticable.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 14th March 2013, 10:06 AM   #62
bomblol

Yeah definately finding the cannons are brutal.
Was cruising around in the rank 7 BF109 last night, run out of cannons, 30 sec reload time, while thats going, machine gun the guy im floating in behind.. Cannons came up when i was 400m off of him, lit it up and shredded within a few volleys. Brutal.

On that note, I see the Russian fighters turn on what feels like a dime, they have like a 18s turn timer, where my bf109 has a horrid 22.5!
They really can out turn my BF..

I think I am going to have to look up if there are any advanced flight tricks, to wash off speed fast other than turn off the engine and pull hard on the stick.. (you just become a giant target then!)

Did spend some free XP in the brit line, the hurricane and spitty with the 8 mg's is awesome!
Old 14th March 2013, 11:10 AM   #63
DivHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomblol View Post
Yeah definately finding the cannons are brutal.
Was cruising around in the rank 7 BF109 last night, run out of cannons, 30 sec reload time, while thats going, machine gun the guy im floating in behind.. Cannons came up when i was 400m off of him, lit it up and shredded within a few volleys. Brutal.

On that note, I see the Russian fighters turn on what feels like a dime, they have like a 18s turn timer, where my bf109 has a horrid 22.5!
They really can out turn my BF..

I think I am going to have to look up if there are any advanced flight tricks, to wash off speed fast other than turn off the engine and pull hard on the stick.. (you just become a giant target then!)

Did spend some free XP in the brit line, the hurricane and spitty with the 8 mg's is awesome!
The BF 109 is not a turn fighter.

Also the turn rates are not only wrong on a lot of the aircraft they are also for no loss of speed rudder turns.
Old 14th March 2013, 2:53 PM   #64
bomblol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivHunter View Post
The BF 109 is not a turn fighter.

Also the turn rates are not only wrong on a lot of the aircraft they are also for no loss of speed rudder turns.
Yeah definately not a turn fighter.
Slowly working out how to fly it better, I tend to come in high, strafe til my cannons are empty and use that newly found speed to regain some height.

I have to work out how to get it to turn a little harder I think, completley forgot to use rudders in turns, I didnt think in War Thunder that rudder turns worked so well... but I could well be wrong!

Either way, spending a bit more time in the 109's tonight
Going to have to get some like minded people that play this and get on comms, Ive seen pairs of fighters really tear up!
Old 14th March 2013, 2:59 PM   #65
DivHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomblol View Post
Yeah definately not a turn fighter.
Slowly working out how to fly it better, I tend to come in high, strafe til my cannons are empty and use that newly found speed to regain some height.

I have to work out how to get it to turn a little harder I think, completley forgot to use rudders in turns, I didnt think in War Thunder that rudder turns worked so well... but I could well be wrong!

Either way, spending a bit more time in the 109's tonight
Going to have to get some like minded people that play this and get on comms, Ive seen pairs of fighters really tear up!
If you want to BnZ like the BF 109 is supposed to...get a Beaufighter instead.
Old 14th March 2013, 3:58 PM   #66
bomblol

Quote:
If you want to BnZ like the BF 109 is supposed to...get a Beaufighter instead.
BnZ?

On that note, any tips on how to fight more effectivley with the BF109?
Old 14th March 2013, 4:27 PM   #67
DivHunter

Boom and Zoom

Diving on an enemy aircraft, firing and then using the speed from the dive to escape.
Old 14th March 2013, 4:53 PM   #68
k1ll3r

Is this like World of Tanks where you spawn once and that's it?
Or is it more of a tf2/bf3/cod thing where there are objectives and you keep respawning?
Old 14th March 2013, 5:16 PM   #69
r8response

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ll3r View Post
Is this like World of Tanks where you spawn once and that's it?
Or is it more of a tf2/bf3/cod thing where there are objectives and you keep respawning?
No

To begin with, each nation has 3 slots with reserve aircraft in them. You can buy another two with Lions (credits) and any future expansion will cost you a small amount of the premium currency.

When you enter a battle, any planes you have in your nations hangar are flyable. Crash, jump in your next plane and continue to battle. Once you run out of aircraft you can return to your hangar, repair and rearm and battle again.

There is no downtime unlike WoT where your tank is essentially "locked" to that battle until it is over.
r8response is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 10:54 AM   #70
DivHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8response View Post
No

To begin with, each nation has 3 slots with reserve aircraft in them. You can buy another two with Lions (credits) and any future expansion will cost you a small amount of the premium currency.

When you enter a battle, any planes you have in your nations hangar are flyable. Crash, jump in your next plane and continue to battle. Once you run out of aircraft you can return to your hangar, repair and rearm and battle again.

There is no downtime unlike WoT where your tank is essentially "locked" to that battle until it is over.
This is not entirely true.

The cost for each crew increases until you have 9 crews for a nation. 10k lions for the 4th, then 50k lions, 200 eagles, 500 eagles, 1200 eagles and finally 1800 eagles for the 9th slot.

When you join an arcade battle the planes you had selected for that nation are locked and you pick from the ones you have to fly out until you win/lose, run out of planes or quit. If you have bought alternate loadouts for your plane you can select them once you are in the mission as well as fuel loadout etc (select lowest fuel load in arcade, it never runs out).

Planes will be immediately available if you repair them (reserves are free repair) otherwise you can wait for them to be repaired for free which can take days.
Old 15th March 2013, 11:27 AM   #71
bomblol

Quote:

The cost for each crew increases until you have 9 crews for a nation. 10k lions for the 4th, then 50k lions, 200 eagles, 500 eagles, 1200 eagles and finally 1800 eagles for the 9th slot.

When you join an arcade battle the planes you had selected for that nation are locked and you pick from the ones you have to fly out until you win/lose, run out of planes or quit. If you have bought alternate loadouts for your plane you can select them once you are in the mission as well as fuel loadout etc (select lowest fuel load in arcade, it never runs out).

Planes will be immediately available if you repair them (reserves are free repair) otherwise you can wait for them to be repaired for free which can take days.
I just have mine to auto repair.
But the lack of downtime between fights is great, if I have an aircraft I really want to use, then sweet, can keep it going!

Will definatley look into the Beaufighter tonight I think, as I will throw down a few hours for sure!

Have to admit I love chasing after bombers in my BF 109's.
Strafe in from one side, go out the other and fly around outside 750m until the cannons reload and go in hard again.

Looking forward to when they enable to navy too!
Old 15th March 2013, 11:38 AM   #72
r8response

Quote:
Actually it is correct. You've simply misinterpreted it.
Old 15th March 2013, 12:28 PM   #73
DivHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8response View Post
Actually it is correct. You've simply misinterpreted it.
The last two slots are not a small amount compared to converting XP or buying planes.

You can have bought every single plane in a tree and have them put into service, you can only fly those you have selected once in battle.

Maybe I should have just said "wow that's some real half-arsed advice" would that be better?
Old 16th March 2013, 4:50 PM   #74
FlyHigher

You should note that regarding slots, if you buy your 6th,7th, 8th or beyond slots dependent on the nation you will lose the ability to play tier one bi-plane matches.

Since the MM system requires you to field a squad of tiers 0-1 to enter these games and there is no option to remove slots or keep them empty at this point.
FlyHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 5:23 PM   #75
r8response

Quote:
You can have bought every single plane in a tree and have them put into service, you can only fly those you have selected once in battle.
Which is why I said you can fly any plane you have in your HANGAR during a battle.

You misread what I posted.