OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 27th March 2013, 1:02 PM   #121
bomblol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGrande View Post
I'd say you're more likely just encountering new players who go straight for the well-known planes and don't know what to do with them...

The only thing that I find the Russians have over the Brit planes is they take a fucking shitload to kill. I've seen some Russian planes take 3-4 fighters dumping their cannons into them for several minutes before they die. They have far too many hitpoints relative to everything else...
Having both brits and ruskies at 10 now, I can tell you that the spitties are excellent.
That Yak-9 though with its turn rate and 37mm cannon, you land one good hit and stuff falls off of the guy your aiming at, making him an easy kill if you need to reload or roll out for another pass.

Have had people shred me just as easily in both armies..

Saving my free xp at the moment, have like 1.4mil, since its pointless buying any new planes until they crank down this economy a bit.
Rumor has it in the next week or two it should be scaled down somewhat on the cost of new aircraft.
Fingers crossed really.. .. ..

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 27th March 2013, 1:43 PM   #122
DivHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojara69 View Post
Well I've played Brits through all ranks up to about 10 now.

I'm sitting in the 4-5 bracket on Russians and have a completely different experience.

Anytime a Spitfire or Hurricane comes into attack I always manage to even the turn out and neither can get behind one another or I get behind them, and on the other end of fights, me picking up a British plane from behind again, usually Spitfires or Hurricanes neither can ditch me, though not that they usually get the chance as I usually always do a bad hit/or crit in my first strike.

And from my time playing Brits Spitfire was shocking for handling, Hurricane was a bit better, but not by alot.
Players not using combat flaps / landing flaps for sharp turns or to drop their speed (especially in the Spitfires, they can basically hover above the ground with landing flaps out) and force you to overshoot. If you don't have the Boomerangs you are going to have a very different experience as they have 20mm cannons not just MOAR 7.7!
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 12:55 AM   #123
Frenchpom Thread Starter

Ok, I officially consider the Russian planes way OP. The Yak 9T is absurd, tough, can turn on a dime, reasonably fast and packs a punch. I should of gone them from the start lol.

And the Spitty Mk2 is lethal in a turning dogfight, other than it's crappy roll rate, it's an excellent aircraft.
Frenchpom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 1:39 AM   #124
SenorGrande

Second the comment re the Russian planes... its fucking ridiculous just how hard they are to kill. The Yak-9T is the worst because not only is it hard to kill but also lethal with that cannon.

Obviously its Russian-biased but its gone to the extreme. If they don't fix it in the next patch I might consider not paying, and not playing anymore. They were built tough in real-life but not to the point where dumping 3 loads of 20mm cannon fire into one barely does anything!!! Every second mofo is now flying russian shitbox planes. Ugh.

The mk2 spitfire is good, and I still use it along side the mk9. Actually come to think of it I haven't changed my lineup at all and I am now rank 13 on British. The Wellington is still made of cardboard but it has 2 x 760 kg torpedoes and quick reload so providing I am not harassed I can do some serious damage/gain XP pretty quick with it when attacking ships.

Last edited by SenorGrande; 1st April 2013 at 1:41 AM.
SenorGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 2:06 AM   #125
Frenchpom Thread Starter

I hear ya, emptied everything I had just then into a yak 9, didn't do much... Here's hoping a patch in the future sorts things out.
Old 1st April 2013, 3:34 PM   #126
DivHunter

Yaks aren't THAT hard to shoot down.

I have had two black wings, able to see stright through both and through the fuselage....in my Hurricanes / Sptfires / Boomerangs / Ki-43-II etc etc.

Just depends where they get hit.
Old 1st April 2013, 8:31 PM   #127
Adarti

LOL at the Ponies wars
Adarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 8:31 PM   #128
morry22

finding it a hard to get into this.
seem to get kicked out of the random game before it is finished. don't know if i am pressing some key combo that is causing this or if it is a bad connection to the server.
took many peoples advice and started with the Russians, assumed if i buy another crew i could add another tier 0 but i seem to be missing something or doing something wrong.
any advise as to where to start reading would help this baby seal
Successful trades with: Uber Dreakoth Oneofthe30 goldboy clrobbo xtreme2k double_mint robbo600 MrPorcelain das1604 Scottymag Rickm fried_chicken Mean Machine Hyrax Scum shadowman Beamster trash DeejW DavLe.BeRRy alyxander Downforce eddigan fredt DiMMa nine_7_six phaete Scotteee Swisshut winterstide Cactus22 Pr3dator8 vartain Borgod
morry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 8:35 PM   #129
Frenchpom Thread Starter

Morry, are you referring to the starter planes? If so, they should be your reserve planes, and you should be able to have as many as you have hangar slots available. At least that's my understanding? This only applies with the starter reserve planes.
Old 2nd April 2013, 9:10 PM   #130
morry22

yep i'm at the very start
and it seems i can only have the three russian fighters even after i bought another crew ( i assume that is a slot for another plane similar to what i have )
Successful trades with: Uber Dreakoth Oneofthe30 goldboy clrobbo xtreme2k double_mint robbo600 MrPorcelain das1604 Scottymag Rickm fried_chicken Mean Machine Hyrax Scum shadowman Beamster trash DeejW DavLe.BeRRy alyxander Downforce eddigan fredt DiMMa nine_7_six phaete Scotteee Swisshut winterstide Cactus22 Pr3dator8 vartain Borgod
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:07 AM   #131
DivHunter

No, there is a limit to how many reserve planes you can get for each nation. You can add in the rank 1 biplane and still get into rank 0-1 battles.
Old 3rd April 2013, 1:32 PM   #132
bomblol

Well, still playing it, still enjoying it.
Hit 14 with the ruskies last night and 13 with my brits.

That free xp from the pony day was massive, I think I made 2mil free xp across the board.
Still, even with the discounts on aircraft at the moment, they are way too expensive still. Sucks really, you dont get silver anywhere near fast enough to get a new aircraft before you say, get another 2 levels xp..
Right pain in the ass...
Old 3rd April 2013, 8:02 PM   #133
morry22

ah cheers div
any good how to not be a baby seal guides worth reading or watching?
think i've played 95% of the games in the dark, is this due to the time of day i play? or just purely random
Old 4th April 2013, 9:21 AM   #134
DivHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morry22 View Post
ah cheers div
any good how to not be a baby seal guides worth reading or watching?
think i've played 95% of the games in the dark, is this due to the time of day i play? or just purely random
That's a lot of night games, weather is random.

Basically since the last patch it's a chore to get the lions required, well, to do anything.

Are you playing just Arcade or HB/FRB as well? Which control scheme?
Old 4th April 2013, 1:59 PM   #135
morry22

only played less than 10 random arcade games where i use keyboard and mouse. learnt my lesson from WoT not to go rushing in and do a few thousand games before asking a lot of questions
read a few starter guides now, watched a few jingle vids and it seems i should do a few HB's to get more lions