OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 30th July 2013, 8:36 PM   #1
BuZeR Thread Starter

Default EverQuest Next

UPDATED JAN2014

EverQuest Next is a MMORPG following on in the spirit on the EQ universe. It is descriped as a; "...complete reimagining of the EverQuest Franchise. Old friends and enemies will appear, but they may not be who you remember. With 10,000 years of explorable history buried beneath its surface and a future you will shape, this is your Norrath."

There will also be a similar title releasing prior to EverQuest next called EverQuest Landmark. This will be a sandbox building simulator to help develop content and extra detail to EverQuest Next. EverQuest Next Landmark will be free-to-play and is descried as "...a world where you can design and make anything you can imagine! Objects and buildings that players construct may be featured in EverQuest Next".

The biggest thing to note is that Sony have openly stated the following in regards to these two different reincarnations of the one game:

In relation to pre-order and in-game items;
Quote:
Are these items going to transfer between EQN Landmark and EverQuest Next?
The items in the packs are exclusive to Landmark. There are no plans for them to transfer to EverQuest Next.
EverQuest Next Landmark granting EQNext testing access:
Quote:
Does buying a Founder's Pack for EQN Landmark get me access to EverQuest Next's beta program?
There are currently no plans for Landmark Founder's Packs to grant access to EverQuest Next's beta program.

Last edited by BuZeR; 15th January 2014 at 8:22 PM.
BuZeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 3rd August 2013, 8:02 AM   #2
BuZeR Thread Starter

Seems the media event has come and gone. The things of note where;

Quote:
...But he also surprised the crowd with details of a new project called EverQuest Next Landmark, which introduces environmental building tools to the game. In short, the next generation of EverQuest will allow players to make and unmake the entire world around them.
Quote:
“With EverQuest Next, we’re going back to our roots –a space we defined with the EverQuest legacy– and ushering in a new era of MMOs,” Smedley said in a statement. “Today, many MMOs fail because players consume content faster than developers can create it. With EverQuest Next, we’re creating a living world that players are part of and empowering them to produce new content alongside the development team.”
Quote:
Multi-Classing: “There are no levels in EQN, but there will be more than 40 distinct classes (or professions) at launch, with multi-tiered abilities and specialized weapon skills to collect and master; players will mix and match abilities from each class, creating truly custom characters.”

Destructible Environments: “Every piece of the world is fully destructible and players will have the ability to manipulate almost all of it… the EQN world will extend far into the heavens and deep into the procedurally-generated earth through 10,000 years of known lore and history.”

Permanent Change: “Players will also have the ability to cause the world to change around them, permanently, in dramatic ways. Through the concerted effort of the world’s inhabitants… city walls will be built and destroyed, large-scale wars will be fought and won, and epic stories will unfold over months and years.”

Emergent AI: “In EQN, NPCs will have specific motivations and preferences that direct behavior in nuanced and unpredictable ways. Players will find themselves in a world where NPC decisions are based on core values, not dictated by static spawn points. For example, Orcs may attack opportunistically because they want an adventurer’s gold, not simply because a careless hero wanders into an attack radius.”

A Life of Consequence: “Each character in EQN will have a unique story; they will not follow a predetermined path. Instead, they will seek out adventure, fame and fortune in a constantly changing sandbox world. The game will remember every choice and action that players make and will organically deliver increasing opportunities to do more of the things players like to do … from crafting armor and exploring the wilderness to purging goblins from the forests.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewa...next-landmark/

Beta signups are at this link if you are interested; https://www.everquestnext.com/beta-registration

Last edited by BuZeR; 3rd August 2013 at 8:34 AM.
Old 3rd August 2013, 8:48 AM   #3
unbridledenthus

Wow ... Huge potential
unbridledenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 4:38 PM   #4
Draeve
(Banned or Deleted)

Really looking forward to seeing more about this!

I really like the way that the movement of the Kerran give the feeling of weight compared to the Human wizard.

Last edited by Draeve; 3rd August 2013 at 4:42 PM.
Draeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 7:59 PM   #5
WRC

Curious how the destructibility is going to work.

What's going to stop the landscape looking like the moon once a thousand players have been through a zone?
WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 8:36 AM   #6
BuZeR Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC View Post
Curious how the destructibility is going to work.

What's going to stop the landscape looking like the moon once a thousand players have been through a zone?
I was thinking the same, not 100% sure they even know yet. Though it has been stated that cultural zones and landmarks will not be destructible.

Also if everyone can build things, you think it will just turn into SWtoR and be covered with ghost towns from non-active players?
Old 4th August 2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Draeve
(Banned or Deleted)

Apparently the world begins to heal after approximately 5mins although that time can vary, as can the time until the world is fully healed back to new.

Also, crafting resources will be mined from normal terrain, ie. wood from trees, stone from cliffs etc, not nodes.
Old 4th August 2013, 2:26 PM   #8
BuZeR Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draeve View Post
Apparently the world begins to heal after approximately 5mins although that time can vary, as can the time until the world is fully healed back to new.

Also, crafting resources will be mined from normal terrain, ie. wood from trees, stone from cliffs etc, not nodes.
ahh that makes sense. So more of a gimmick then effects on the world. Not that thats a bad thing, if it was permanent the whole world would just be stuffed.

Also read that they will allow you to dig down levels into dungeons and the like?
Old 4th August 2013, 3:49 PM   #9
Draeve
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZeR View Post
ahh that makes sense. So more of a gimmick then effects on the world. Not that thats a bad thing, if it was permanent the whole world would just be stuffed.

Also read that they will allow you to dig down levels into dungeons and the like?
Yeah I've read the same. It would make things interesting in raid encounters, using he environment as cover etc.
Old 4th August 2013, 7:44 PM   #10
WRX_STi

Signed up for beta, whilst i doubt i will get an invite (who knows what the selection process is?) i think this could be an incredible game. SOE are in my opinion very good.
WRX_STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 7:59 PM   #11
Draeve
(Banned or Deleted)

They have stated that there will be 8 skills equipped at a time, 4 based on class and 4 based in equipped weapon. This is similar to the system used in GW2.

They have also stated that it is being developed for PC, with console playability in the future. This seems to be the way that a lot of new mmo's and online games are going lately, I believe Elder Scrolls Online will have console play also?
Old 4th August 2013, 8:00 PM   #12
SmEaGoLLuM!

Was at a mate's place and caught a bit of the stream/panels. As a long time player of SOE mmos since the original EQ I know when it comes to SOE don't buy too much into the hype.

With EQN they did borrow many good elements from other games/genres but no totally new never before seen ideas as they've been preaching. The most impressive thing is still the voxel Forgelight engine which is amazing, as seen since PS2. Also during the panels I heard something which indicated only being allowed 4 abilities at a time which sort of signifies a future console movement and a more dumbed down experience with a more arcadey/action based style of game. Think Diablo 3. Also certain things indicated PvP will prob not be launched with the game and be included later, as EQ was never PvP focused. They did not reveal any of the UI cos that is the biggest indicator of a console focused game. Don't get me wrong, I do hope the game will be the next big breakthrough in mmos. Will see.
SmEaGoLLuM! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 8:13 PM   #13
yoda123

i will be keeping an eye on this, as an avid EQ player in the past.

Signed up my 8 SOE accounts for beta
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 10:50 AM   #14
BuZeR Thread Starter

Though there is a sense of irony in these new 'features' seeming how Sonys major rival for Everquest was UltimaOnline.

Now Everquest Next boasts a classless skill system, player housing and more freedom. Hopefully they also take some of the idea's from the crafting system from UO. I hope they manage to capture the parts from each game (EQ/UO) that so enthralled my younger years and combine them into one shiny package. Though this is Sony, they have always been very hit and miss..

Last edited by BuZeR; 5th August 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 6th August 2013, 8:39 PM   #15
Buriedpast

Really surprised the wow thread has 10mil replies of wankers arguing pandas on the moon or some shit and people aren't going bananas over this.

EQ was the original, the most punishing, and remains still very much alive on EMU's (live eq is gay as wow).

Hoping and praying they make an eq for our generation, not wow kids. Dark nights, proper punishment for death, a chance to lose hours and hours, or days of work for a mistake, and near useless solo play. God I can't stand the current MMOSPRPG. Single player mmo's are retarded. I keep in touch with a dozen guys at least from eq from1999 onwards. I don't even remember any single person from wow. Played both endgame for 6 years each.

The graphics already seem too Pixar for me, but the gameplay has massive potential. Add a huge stream of unchecked ability like eq did originally for creative players to use and it will be a game changer. Very scared its bordering on another modern wow clone_009.