Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Old 6th August 2013, 9:04 PM   #16
WRC

I can't say I'm a fan of the art direction they've taken from what I've seen so far. It looks very WoWesque.

I hope they make the game harder than recent offerings, but they also need to slow the pace down. That's why EQ had such a strong community. If you got in a group the downtime whilst casters were medding meant you ended up chatting. Just doesn't happen as much in more recent MMOs.

Good to hear they are making it more of a sandbox. The linear gameplay style that WoW has made the dominant model in MMOs has had its day.
WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 9:16 PM   #17
Buriedpast

http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/everq...e-again/#50471

This took the words out of my mouth. Have a read, especially anyone not familiar with EQ.

Actually has some excellent articles highlighting just how bloody stupid modern mmo's are.
Old 6th August 2013, 10:39 PM   #18
OldnBold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmEaGoLLuM! View Post
Was at a mate's place and caught a bit of the stream/panels. As a long time player of SOE mmos since the original EQ I know when it comes to SOE don't buy too much into the hype.
Correct statement .. wait and see from me
Old 6th August 2013, 10:53 PM   #19
Franc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriedpast View Post
http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/everq...e-again/#50471

This took the words out of my mouth. Have a read, especially anyone not familiar with EQ.

Actually has some excellent articles highlighting just how bloody stupid modern mmo's are.
Most of the points I agree with barring soloing. I reckon soloing should be able to be done, just that it should be harder than grouping and less rewarding, not everyone wants to spend all their time in groups all the time, and sometimes its good to do your own thing.
Old 6th August 2013, 11:32 PM   #20
WRC

It's a myth that you couldn't solo in EQ anyway. I played a wizard in EQ and once you got your AOE snare and your AOE nukes it was party time. Group experience was only marginally faster out in the open. In dungeons it was a different story of course.

Not as good as Bards though. They were insane soloers if you could twist well.
WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 8:15 AM   #21
BuZeR Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC View Post
Yeah I had a bard, so many hours spent running around in circles
|| Intel Core i7 3770 || Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 || Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB || Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 4GB || Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB SSD & G.Skill Phoenix Pro Series 120GB SSD || Corsair RM850 Gold 850W || Asus Xonar D2 Ultra ||
BuZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 8:41 AM   #22
moist.au
(Banned or Deleted)

I'm all for taking the core game mechanics back to a challenging state like they were in the EQ games, just please for the love of god make the movement/animations/combat system fluid. It is honestly the one thing that WoW has done better in leaps and bounds ahead of every competitor.

It's one of the first things I notice in a game, and if it's bad I almost always never continue playing - a lot of people are in the same boat.

Character feeling either clunky and unresponsive (EQ/EQ2/Warhammer/Secret World/SWTOR etc), or on the contrary, feeling like you're in a bubble "floating" over the world (Guild Wars 2) - maybe the wrong expression, but you know that slight delay you get when using an ability or strafing - that's what I mean.

It's really hard to explain unless you have played WoW extensively.

Destructible environments sure do look great though.
moist.au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 9:45 AM   #23
Buriedpast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC View Post
It's a myth that you couldn't solo in EQ anyway. I played a wizard in EQ and once you got your AOE snare and your AOE nukes it was party time. Group experience was only marginally faster out in the open. In dungeons it was a different story of course.

The only classes that couldnt solo effectively in EQ was a warrior, and pal. Everyone else could get by decently well until the XP changes in late luclin. The bottom end blues were good grinding fodder for a solo ranger/monk etc with minimal downtime. Wasn't unheard of for monks to mend/bw solo to 50+.

But why should an MMO let you play single player? The problem with modern MMO's is they tell you what to do.

Modern MMO design says you cant do all sorts of funky stuff with charm. Swarm kiting, faction warring, quests against faction, obscene solo capability at huge risk. Modern MMO's say no, you have 'THIS' way to play your class and we have chained down every other element of gameplay. Single play should be restricted to those who are most patient (absolute shit reward/xp rate), most creative with game mechanics (swarm kiting), or those who deliberately play a known solo friendly class (that tends to suck in groups; ie wiz/nec/dru).

Why should every class be self reliant. A rogue should be absolutely f*cking useless without someone to tank for him, a huge increase in dps from some sort of buff. Class interdependency is what makes an MMO good, community interaction builds on that fundamental, and a huge punishing world of deep dungeons/fields/mobs that dont reward loot for just killing 12 of x is what makes it great. Fairly sure in wow these days a new player is in full slots of greens by the time theyre 20 after 2 days casual evening playing. A good game would have you begging, running across continents and doing non XP rewarding quests to suit yourself up for battle. Nothing is more disgusting than when TBC launched in wow and the amount of loot you got just in that first zone from doing 'kill those pigs, collect 10 x' quests.

Why should a warrior be able to solo to max level/whatever the design for advancement is in EQN? He's a warrior, he should have the shit beaten out of him, do good melee damage and absolutely have to have someone to heal him or he's sitting on his bum for 15mins.

Why do modern MMO's have all these stupid restrictions on level for items? If I want to give my level 10 a sword of flaming awesomesauce, he should darn well be able to use it. And be ridiculously overpowered because of it.

Or nearly no death penalty? If I go somewhere with a group I probably shouldnt of and fall asleep...when my character dies it should cost me currency, time, and the assistance of someone else and even a few people to get my corpse. Not just click some ghost thing and WHAM back in action. Back in the day I lost my body in the bottom of paw; and it took 3 or 4 days sitting out the front before I saw a group heading in I could follow. Just sitting around talking with people XP'ing, and finally looting some FS weaps and grouping up. Such was the community that people didnt mind a naked warrior with two newb weaps in their group doing damage.

When did the holy trinity of CC, tank, cleric; turn into any healer, any tank, any 3/4 DPS. Crowd control, utility etc are just absolutely ignored in modern MMO's. Dammit I want to play a class that does absolutely no damage ever. Cleric, Enchanter. I dont want some shitty other priest class being able to heal as good as a dedicated healer. Nor do I want my support class to click a button and become a DPS class. Totally ruins immersion and my buy-in to the character or game. There's a reason it was called the holy trinity, not just "any 5/6 people, 2 of you respec to heal and tank".

I'm hoping for a community game, absolutely as few instances/phases/whatever you want to call it as possible. None would be best. Let the players fight over mobs, train eachother, race to spawns, monopolise server respawns, use the terrain to block other guilds, blow holes in dungeon floors to race to the bottom. Let people know my name, others names. Not just some random click a queue button and be thrown in with 5 other people from various servers who never say a single word.

They even took away "hey are you guys good to go?" and replaced that bit of conversation with a ready check button. How insane do you think it is to have an MMO forcing people to play like everyone else is AI/NPC. Community is what makes a good game great. Anyone on any server remotely interested in the top end could name at least 5 players from the top few guilds server wide. Your reputation mattered, just being a dick meant you were unguildable. The entire server knew you and your story and if you were competent, excellent or down right terrible. If you over looted, KS'd, trained etc all had repercussions from the player community.

Rant off. Dont bother reading if you dont want to read typical EQ nerd rant on modern games.
Old 7th August 2013, 11:18 AM   #24
Buriedpast

http://imgur.com/a/tb0Zk#0

Wow at the EC tunnel. Confirmed me excited as a schoolgirl on valentines day.
Old 7th August 2013, 5:15 PM   #25
Asako

Quote:
Rant off. Dont bother reading if you dont want to read typical EQ nerd rant on modern games.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's been despairing with modern games having absolutely no group dynamic, just get a bunch of people together and run through crap. Don't even need tanks/healers in many cases. I miss the holy trinity, and I really just fail to understand why people hated it so. I never had an issue in games of old, just by... being a part of the community.

I guess it suits the solocentric or typical antisocial tendencies of the modern internet generation to not have to make friends or join guilds, just solo, and magic queues for more or less AI groups of people you never talk to for dungeons.

When I first heard about EQN I had my interest piqued, but I'm not holding my breath for anything of any worth at all, especially no levels/classes, just professions you mix and match. Nuts to that sort of crap.
Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 6:11 PM   #26
Buriedpast

Only time can tell.

For what it's worth, the PC hack for EQMac works excellently, and it currently has the best classic environment available.

I'll be going back there if EQN fails. Emulators just dont cut the mustard no matter how hard they try.
Old 7th August 2013, 6:51 PM   #27
na1lbomb

Not convinced of the art direction and jumping around, or destructability, what does any of that have to do with classic EQ?

Nothing comes close to the original EQ experience, trying to stumble your way around zones that you did not have an in game map for, having to pay for ports to more exotic locations or spend hours travelling, bumming buffs, selling goods in East Commons, watching evil characters run for their lives from guards, being forced to group in large open dungeons filled with 70 other people and the risk of trains.

No game has done crowd control and pulling, the sheer variety of spells or risk vs reward like the original EQ. I could go on for hours with gushing praise about how unique that game was, and how everything since has been a shallow follow the yellow brick road whack a mole style game for the masses.

Nails
na1lbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 7:46 PM   #28
OldnBold

Quote:
Originally Posted by na1lbomb View Post
Not convinced of the art direction and jumping around, or destructability, what does any of that have to do with classic EQ?
You forgot death runs .. sigh
Old 7th August 2013, 11:37 PM   #29
Asako

Quote:
Only time can tell.

For what it's worth, the PC hack for EQMac works excellently, and it currently has the best classic environment available.

I'll be going back there if EQN fails. Emulators just dont cut the mustard no matter how hard they try.
I was not aware there was a way for PC players to play on the wonderful EQMac server. Been googling a bit and all the guides say install EQ Titanium, but the only Titanium I can find (in store or otherwise) include ten expansions, not the original four that EQMac supports. How did you get it working? If I can just grab the existing EQ Titanium from amazon or whatever, I will, but not if that ten expansion version won't work.
Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 10:23 AM   #30
Buriedpast

Just read one of the thousands of guides on the net.

Google 'secrets eq mac pc hack'

Ask uncle torrence for a copy of titanium.

Then go nuts, its bloody brilliant. It's as classic as you want it to be, if you choose to use PoK, MGB buffs, handouts and shit then it is what it is, or you can play it completely legit vanilla or trilogy etc.