Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 6th April 2014, 3:51 PM   #136
cavanor
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 773
Default

Watched the documentary 'Europe in 8 Bits'
cavanor is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 6th April 2014, 3:59 PM   #137
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Country WA
Posts: 13,706
Default

Panasonic caps have this little m symbol. Your BIOS is the same as mine

I stuffed up a flash, but got another board coming. So I will read it through the hardware flash reader this time rather than doing it with Uniflash.
Mau1wurf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 4:10 PM   #138
shane41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In the sticks NSW
Posts: 5,001
Default

Any benefit to do the flash??

I'm guessing but, does my bios not support the 1.4ghz?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprint View Post
There is a group of us that get incredibly erect over such hardware. Maybe post in the retro section?
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 4:20 PM   #139
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Country WA
Posts: 13,706
Default

No it's the latest BIOS and supports Tualatin. I just couldn't resist and had to try the AOpen BIOS. Thing is that worked. But then I flashed back the copy I took of the original and that stuffed things up.

Lesson learnt. From now on I will remove the original and only flash spare BIOS chips

The AOpen BIOS had more options. For example the ability to change FSB and ratios. The Acer BIOS is more locked down but also more fool proof.

I could not find a official Acer BIOS only however. So the copy I took must have been bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavanor View Post
Watched the documentary 'Europe in 8 Bits'
Link?

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977; 6th April 2014 at 4:24 PM.
Mau1wurf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 4:34 PM   #140
cavanor
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 773
Default

http://europein8bits.com/ .
cavanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 7:38 PM   #141
Flamin Joe
Member
 
Flamin Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
Rolf............looked that card up.

No wonder he'll swap ya.

Pssssssssssst Buubox, pm me. Secret Deal, flaming joe won't know.
Well like I said through work I came into possession of a box full of old motherboards including a few Socket 370 motherboards and CPU's for the princely sum of nothing. I don't have a use for so many boards and CPU's so I'd rather offer them up for trade or overwise then have them end up as E-Waste.

Yeah it's not a fair swap, the card in all honestly is a piece of shit (it had woeful 2D performance even for the time) but to me it provided me with my first experience of 3D acceleration so it has sentimental value. It's probably a long shot that it might be somewhere as he said it was lost, but it's worth a shot that it might turn up. No harm in asking.
__________________
AtariPC.net
Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 7:49 PM   #142
shane41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In the sticks NSW
Posts: 5,001
Default

I was doing that reply in jest.

I certainly don't have anything like that to trade.

The gpu looked impressive for it's time. Just the short time
I glanced over a review on it today.

That's the thing..............Interesting bits to find that we enjoyed
years ago.

Socket 370 was kind of where I started off in pc's. Not really
understanding them till later.

Some say that socket is a little bland, but I find it really interesting
as agp really took a good hold with it. Kind of starting with Tnt2.

I don't want too spoil your chances bud, + will not derail your attempts
to gain that piece.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprint View Post
There is a group of us that get incredibly erect over such hardware. Maybe post in the retro section?
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 8:44 PM   #143
Flamin Joe
Member
 
Flamin Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
I was doing that reply in jest.

I certainly don't have anything like that to trade.

The gpu looked impressive for it's time. Just the short time
I glanced over a review on it today.

That's the thing..............Interesting bits to find that we enjoyed
years ago.

Socket 370 was kind of where I started off in pc's. Not really
understanding them till later.

Some say that socket is a little bland, but I find it really interesting
as agp really took a good hold with it. Kind of starting with Tnt2.

I don't want too spoil your chances bud, + will not derail your attempts
to gain that piece.
It's all good. Just thought I would explain where I was coming from a bit better.

In my opinion, technology wise Rendition cards were streets ahead of the competition. RISC processor, all in one 2D/3D solution (3Dfx took a few generations to do it), plus a host of other features including DMA buffering, hardware triangle setup (3Dfx did it in software) made the V1000 in particular a fantastic chip in a new emerging technology. Seeing vQuake for the first time was spectacular to say the least!

I really regret throwing out my 3D Blaster PCI all those years ago. "Old piece of junk taking up space" I thought, "No one let alone myself would make use of it anymore, it's obsolete!". Ah, hindsight. It's wonder thing isn't it?
__________________
AtariPC.net
Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 8:58 PM   #144
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Country WA
Posts: 13,706
Default

With the boards is important to know the exact model. Because there are basic ones that can only do FSB 66 and things like that

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977; 6th April 2014 at 9:01 PM.
Mau1wurf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 9:19 PM   #145
shane41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In the sticks NSW
Posts: 5,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
It's all good. Just thought I would explain where I was coming from a bit better.

In my opinion, technology wise Rendition cards were streets ahead of the competition. RISC processor, all in one 2D/3D solution (3Dfx took a few generations to do it), plus a host of other features including DMA buffering, hardware triangle setup (3Dfx did it in software) made the V1000 in particular a fantastic chip in a new emerging technology. Seeing vQuake for the first time was spectacular to say the least!

I really regret throwing out my 3D Blaster PCI all those years ago. "Old piece of junk taking up space" I thought, "No one let alone myself would make use of it anymore, it's obsolete!". Ah, hindsight. It's wonder thing isn't it?
Some of these hardwares are before my time. But I'm loading up on
the old stuff. Have hoarded a few bits to reveal later.

Regrets............Hmm. How about this one. lol

Bought a 9800pro in 2002 for $325, sold it a few years ago for $25
Had a Mitsubishi aka Dell clone 19" crt. Half the display not show.
Tossed to e-waste last year. That was $455.

And the icing on the cake. Had a top of the line Soltek socketA mb
paired with a Barton 2600.

18months in. Had black screen, thought mb carked.
Sold ebay for like $1 + post

Turns out years later, worked out hdd to blame. Noob moment there.

Mau1wurf1977 I'm sure I have some of those 66fsb ones here.
But they're still good too.

You remind me to look in a Dell pc box now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprint View Post
There is a group of us that get incredibly erect over such hardware. Maybe post in the retro section?
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 9:19 AM   #146
badmofo
Member
 
badmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 462
Default

I dug out an Atari 2600 Jr I haven't used for over 15 years (bought second hand as a bored uni student) and gave it a good clean. it's an iconic design - I love a good rainbow design. Having colour was a big deal back in the 80's I guess:







badmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 11:41 AM   #147
BuuBox
Member
 
BuuBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 8,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
perhaps we could do a trade?
Sadly it's long gone. Shame, as they don't really come up for sale regularly. Probably ended up in landfill.

I want a 370 motherboard for a VIA Socket 370 processor...
__________________
Desktop: Gigabyte GA-990FX-Gaming, AMD FX-8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon R9 290, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB WD Black, EVGA 850W, Kogan 27"
Blast from the past: Shuttle HOT-591P, Cyrix MII-400GP, 64MB PC133, Voodoo Banshee, 16GB SSD, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64
Trades: Too many to list. Hundreds.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 12:20 PM   #148
adz Thread Starter
Member
 
adz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
Bought a 9800pro in 2002 for $325, sold it a few years ago for $25
Had a Mitsubishi aka Dell clone 19" crt. Half the display not show.
Tossed to e-waste last year. That was $455.
I don't bother even trying to get money for the old gear I have, unless of course it's actually worth something significant (*cough*A3000*cough*), I'm just happy to see it go to someone who will use it. Plus you usually get to meet a few interesting people too, callan, badmofo and Draxx spring to mind...
__________________
Commodore Amiga A600HD | MC68000@7.14MHz | 2MB Chip RAM | 8MB Fast RAM | Indivision ECS | 2GB CF Card | Commodore 30W PSU | Integrated Keyboard | Commodore Mouse

Victoria - The $afety State

Last edited by adz; 7th April 2014 at 12:23 PM.
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 2:03 PM   #149
jmannik
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Albury, NSW
Posts: 731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
Sadly it's long gone. Shame, as they don't really come up for sale regularly. Probably ended up in landfill.

I want a 370 motherboard for a VIA Socket 370 processor...
Funny you mention that, I am going to be ordering some replacement caps for a socket 370 board ( This one ) which has a Via C3 800Mhz processor sitting in the socket. Not sure exactly what I will do with it, but it has an inbuilt S3 Savage4 Video card onboard and integrated everything so I should be able to make use of it somehow... if it can be resurrected of course.
__________________
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #127]
Guitars: Gordon-Smith Graduate, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Fender Jaguar MIJ Amp: Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 2x12
jmannik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 2:51 PM   #150
BuuBox
Member
 
BuuBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 8,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmannik View Post
if it can be resurrected of course.
If it can't be resurrected, I'll take the CPU.

They're quite slow, but I have a thing for CPUs that aren't Intel or AMD.
__________________
Desktop: Gigabyte GA-990FX-Gaming, AMD FX-8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon R9 290, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB WD Black, EVGA 850W, Kogan 27"
Blast from the past: Shuttle HOT-591P, Cyrix MII-400GP, 64MB PC133, Voodoo Banshee, 16GB SSD, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64
Trades: Too many to list. Hundreds.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dos, mmx, pentium, retro

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!