Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st January 2014, 8:46 AM   #16
pcs

ive got a couple of old sound blaster live pci cards if you guys want them pm me
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st January 2014, 9:11 AM   #17
adz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
Ha, I have one of those Asaki VLB boards here too. Very cheap looking and wafer thin.

I might have a VLB board spare if either of these 2 work (haven't tested them for a while):

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherbo...l#.UYReT7Ww18E

http://www.amoretro.de/2012/01/qdi-p...therboard.html

The only thing is that they have very slight signs of acid damage - I'm fussy so it can't be much or I would have chucked them by now.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if they work.
I think I'm just gonna give up with the Asaki board, I've not heard one nice thing said about them anywhere. I've checked out those two boards and they look okay, I'd be more inclined to go with the CH-491E, it should in theory work with a DX4100 Overdrive, but only having 30pin SIMMs is a bit of a let down, let me know how much you want for it, I'll hit up DonutKing too and see what he has.

Victoria - The $afety State
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 10:14 AM   #18
badmofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz View Post
I think I'm just gonna give up with the Asaki board, I've not heard one nice thing said about them anywhere. I've checked out those two boards and they look okay, I'd be more inclined to go with the CH-491E, it should in theory work with a DX4100 Overdrive, but only having 30pin SIMMs is a bit of a let down, let me know how much you want for it, I'll hit up DonutKing too and see what he has.
You could have it for free. Let me know if you're still interested after talking to DonutKing and I'll test it.
badmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 8:36 AM   #19
adz Thread Starter

Spent most of yesterday, playing, or trying to, old DOS games. Managed to rip through Tyrian 2000 and also played a bit of Power at Sea on the C64!

Old 3rd February 2014, 8:48 AM   #20
BuuBox

Picked up a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 but it doesn't seem to work.

Doesn't display anything. But if I leave onboard video enabled, it lists the card as a network controller and assigns an IRQ. Odd. Based on this i tried a BIOS update to no avail.

Hoping just an incompatibility as I have no other PCI video cards to test with.
BuuBox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 5:00 PM   #21
pfrcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
doesn't seem to work
Maybe the motherboard you're trying it with, is too new to be compatible ?

If it's new enough to have on-board video disable via firmware, likely too new
pfrcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 4:01 PM   #22
Smokin Whale

I did not engage in any retro activity today.

Thanks for asking though.
Old 5th February 2014, 8:46 AM   #23
badmofo

I had a mental health day yesterday so spent a bit of time playing MegaRace - what an awful game! A classic example of a "CD-ROM multimedia game"; all multimedia, no game.

Then I broke out my 486DX2 66 and installed Links 386 Pro, which I've never played before. The DX2 handles it well but my mouse (serial 2 button Logitech) wasn't always registering my clicks, which of course had serious implications for the timing of my swing. I took out cards, fiddled with jumpers, tried a different mouse, but in the end it turned out to be the DOS Logitech driver. I tried CTMOUSE instead and bob was my uncle.

Great game that Links386 but too easy. I was able to par a hole using nothing but my driver and putter, and that was on 'pro' difficulty!
Old 5th February 2014, 9:51 AM   #24
DonutKing

I worked until 3AM monday night on a scheduled outage, so I got to go home early yesterday. I set up my Gravis Ultrasound in my 486 box and watched a few scene demos.

This one wasn't bad: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=52908

This one has some... interesting song lyrics http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=86

This one was used as a VGA torture test, http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=2048
I have a VLB ET4000W32/p and it wouldn't play a couple of parts. (UniVBE made one work but not all). It looks like a lot of old Amiga demos (which was the intended effect).

This one rips on the popular Amiga demo 'state of the art' - I got a bit of a laugh out of it http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=3850

and of course, the most well known/popular DOS demo of all, http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=63
and its predecessor http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=1274
DonutKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 1:04 PM   #25
adz Thread Starter

Thought I'd play a bit of Pacific Air War Gold only to have my old CH Gamestick break! Opened it up and it looks like the plastic innards have finally worn out, anyone got any recommendations on where to find a decent replacement 15pin joystick?

Old 5th February 2014, 1:29 PM   #26
badmofo

The Ultrasound sounds like a fun card - I've never owned one. A future project me thinks if I can find a cheap one.

Re a descent gameport joystick - they do come up on eBay from time to time and are surprisingly cheap. I picked up a nice CH Flightstick recently for 10 bucks or something like that. I got a nice Thrustmaster HOTAS setup a while back for next to nothing too.

The MS Sidewinder 3D Pro is worth considering too - they look like arse but emulate both Thrustmaster and CH sticks and are very solid.
Old 5th February 2014, 5:43 PM   #27
adz Thread Starter

I concur, I'd love to get my hands on an Ultrasound one day!

On a positive note, having just spoken with the folks, it would seem there is a CH FlightStick sitting there doing nothing, fingers crossed it works.

Old 8th February 2014, 9:30 AM   #28
BuuBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrcom View Post
Maybe the motherboard you're trying it with, is too new to be compatible ?

If it's new enough to have on-board video disable via firmware, likely too new
Yeah looks that way. I tried another PCI card (Matrox Millennium II) and it works fine. Windows 3.11 at 1600x1200 FTW...
Old 18th February 2014, 7:16 PM   #29
adz Thread Starter

Found myself a Cyrix Mobile MII-333GP (4 x 66, 2.2v) today, wonder how it would go in my DOS box, may even be able to yield a small overclock just for fun

Old 19th February 2014, 8:34 AM   #30
BuuBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz View Post
Found myself a Cyrix Mobile MII-333GP (4 x 66, 2.2v) today, wonder how it would go in my DOS box, may even be able to yield a small overclock just for fun
Nice. I find the non Intel (or even AMD) CPUs the most interesting.

I had a Cyrix 6x86 PR166+ when they were first released. A great CPU for the price - although I did upgrade to a Pentium MMX for better gaming performance at some point, coupled with a Voodoo Banshee.

This website is a great read for old CPUs: http://redhill.net.au/c/c-9.html