Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Old 21st March 2017, 1:06 PM   #5206
Matthew kane

Those caps are fucking evil. I swear .

Anyways going through about a thousand pics on my photobucket trying to find some old XFX 8800gtx's I sold years ago..

Dumping some interesting pics here.

Got tons of this, sold em for as low as $5-10 a pair. Spewing now....

Very old test rig from 15 + years ago. Motherboard was a MSI-6383 (from memory) which served as my ideal P3 overclocking board, was ranked within top 3 of few Celeron and Pentium 3 world overclocks on ripping.org before site was pulled down. Mobo was given to psychoticorc last year, monitor, keyboard all that shit thrown away many moons ago.

Actually the pic was taken at the time when I broke a Celeron 700 or 800? record @ 1.2 or 1.3ghz? on air via pin volt mod and mobo hard mods, Ati Rage 128 AGP card, 256mb low latency SDRAM RAM, very basic and old 250watt ATX psu....ahh the memories...

ATi 9800 Pro 256mb AGP card giving me grief, so I took it personally (even after reflow and recap)...

Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | Zotac AMP! Edition GTX 980 Ti | PNY GTX 465 unlocked to 470 | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter

Last edited by Matthew kane; 21st March 2017 at 5:33 PM.
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 1:31 PM   #5207
WuZMoT

LOL I'm sure some of these guys will cringe over that but you tried...
Old 21st March 2017, 1:33 PM   #5208
shane41

Matthew Man you just have to give into it. You want to run some old machines for LoL's & the nostalgia. I get that & many here are doing.

But to sell parts for next to nothing all them years ago.......fugg me Many of these guys have an idea of costing on parts lately.
eg. $160 for a SS7 just recently. Some of the DDR2 sets I have $50 a pop.
Said it many times I take a big hit on " many broken parts " then that bloody expensive shipping all the time.

Buying the most beautiful parts in the world Matthew is never cheap.Still those double ups go in here for the guys @ my cost.
Like those ram sets bought in EU? No go hey
Old 21st March 2017, 2:13 PM   #5209
shane41

Yet to try these...... who can remember them? do you ever see them 4sale?

Example for you Matthew. I can go after 9800pro's too & I have.

Old 21st March 2017, 2:16 PM   #5210
Matthew kane

You can only hold onto old gear for so long. Then you run into issues holding on to them, otherwise you will end up with accumulated crap over and over again. I'am glad I offloaded most my stuff years ago because I will definitely have issues offloading them if I was selling it now.

I would never pay for the prices for some of the older gear that is being sold on ebay simply because I know they are not worth that much regardless if the stuff is no longer being or not and I can most likely get it cheaper the next day.

The stuff I sold off years ago were all on the high side of pricing, compared to what was listed on ebay at the time.

For collectable DDR1 and DDR2 ram, its micron D9 chips or bust, all else I don't bother with.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | Zotac AMP! Edition GTX 980 Ti | PNY GTX 465 unlocked to 470 | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter

Last edited by Matthew kane; 21st March 2017 at 2:18 PM.
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 2:19 PM   #5211
BuuBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
So I had this Trusted psu cable tied in good & proper.
You would all trust it right, good brand & all that?
That's a 2004-ish PSU though?

At 13 years old, I wouldn't trust it. Even with minimal use, probably 10,000 hours on it.

Looks like the caps would fail the physical inspection.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 2:35 PM   #5212
shane41

It's important Matthew at least some of it. Many of us in here are trying to save these parts & they can keep running if you are prepared for maintenance.
Super Sevens are a testament to that Bloody great & fire up near 20 years later. Cannot say the same for 2006 onwards. Problems always......
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
That's a 2004-ish PSU though?
At 13 years old, I wouldn't trust it. Even with minimal use, probably 10,000 hours on it. Looks like the caps would fail the physical inspection.
Around that I'd say matey or newer. Capacitors man always the issue. But a good power supply is still good looked after.
So I'm fine to try do era correct whenever possible. But yes mission critical " rare bastard parts " I'll put on a modern Seasonic.
Still good the old Antec's & only a handfull of caps to do in them. 40A 5V that's why they are saved.
Old 21st March 2017, 2:58 PM   #5213
shane41

Activity today, too much typing & about to buy more caps Tackle to top left first....... Someone out there gets it, just how beautiful they are.
Don't waste anytime Matthew go get what you want or need. Past experience on nice parts......they go very expensive, then vanish

Old 21st March 2017, 5:10 PM   #5214
Krumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
I will be asking the sparky about dimmable lights - mancaves need to be dark sometimes. I'll be asking him to install lots of powerpoints and have at least one data point on each wall - do you guys have any other tips for a functional home office?
Don't forget ya cat6 and redundant cables if the budget extends to it.
Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 9:09 PM   #5215
Flamin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Don't forget ya cat6 and redundant cables if the budget extends to it.
Coax cable FTW. Just don't forget the terminators!

#hardcoreretro

Seriously though, actually would be pretty cool to set up an old school network just for kicks. I can't remember if it was 10Base2 or 10Base5, but the last time I saw a Coax network was at my local TAFE in the mid-nineties learning Novell NetWare. I honestly doubt I'd remember how to use it as it's been so long!

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection

Last edited by Flamin Joe; 21st March 2017 at 9:12 PM.
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 10:38 PM   #5216
DonutKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post

Seriously though, actually would be pretty cool to set up an old school network just for kicks. I can't remember if it was 10Base2 or 10Base5, but the last time I saw a Coax network was at my local TAFE in the mid-nineties learning Novell NetWare. I honestly doubt I'd remember how to use it as it's been so long!
I actually had a DOS network running IPX/SPX over 10Base2 with a few computers back in the early 2000's. Mostly made up of old computers that people were throwing out. I had a few rounds of Doom and Warcraft 2 with some of my mates.

10base2 was thinnet with the T connectors and terminators - 10base5 was thicknet and used an AUI box.

I've never used 10base5 but 10base2 was pretty easy... just connect em in a line, make sure all the computers are running, (or you'll break the bus) and make sure each end has a terminator. Some of the network cards had a utility you needed to run to switch from the RJ45 port to the BNC/coax port.

Getting the drivers running was the most painful part... If you were using windows 95 you just bound TCP/IP or IPX/SPX to the adapter and off you went... DOS was a different story, you had to load the card driver, LSL.COM and the IPX protocol driver.... chewed up heaps of memory.
TCP/IP was even worse.

Amazing the things you remember after all those years
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:42 AM   #5217
Flamin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutKing View Post
10base2 was thinnet with the T connectors and terminators - 10base5 was thicknet and used an AUI box.

I've never used 10base5 but 10base2 was pretty easy... just connect em in a line, make sure all the computers are running, (or you'll break the bus) and make sure each end has a terminator. Some of the network cards had a utility you needed to run to switch from the RJ45 port to the BNC/coax port.
10base2, that was it. I remember learning about it in TAFE and in doing so looked at how they had it set up with all the T connectors and learning about the various configurations like Token Ring which like the name implies everything connected in a ring formation. Unfortunately (maybe forntunately lol) I never really got any hands on experience setting it up myself outside of TAFE as I basically jumped to using CAT cables later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutKing View Post
Getting the drivers running was the most painful part... If you were using windows 95 you just bound TCP/IP or IPX/SPX to the adapter and off you went... DOS was a different story, you had to load the card driver, LSL.COM and the IPX protocol driver.... chewed up heaps of memory.
TCP/IP was even worse.

Amazing the things you remember after all those years
Oh yeah, DOS! A few months back I continued my battle with getting networking on my XT. If it's not bad enough finding a suitable card that can run in an 8 bit ISA slot then finding room to "fit" it amongst other cards taking up very limited IRQ, DMA, I/O ports, it's the 640K that will do you in lol. Finally got it all working.

I played around with TCP/IP as well just for the lol's. I think it took a 200K+ chunk out of my RAM but hey I could ping Google from my XT.

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:56 AM   #5218
BuuBox

I think the only logical conclusion is for badmofo to run coaxial as well as CAT6.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:03 PM   #5219
shane41

Haha old dudes I had Pioneer Coaxial speakers in my Mazda in the 90's too
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:34 PM   #5220
badmofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
I think the only logical conclusion is for badmofo to run coaxial as well as CAT6.
Sounds expensive but you guys know best