Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 1st April 2014, 8:53 PM   #106
Flamin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
I emailed them this morning and they replied back within 30 minutes. I'm picking up a few items on Saturday.

They've got a few interesting bits and pieces on their website. I'd like this, if I had a use for it: http://www.a1usedcomputers.com.au/sh...idproduct=4216

Dual Slot 1 motherboard with 2 x Pentium III 500MHz CPUs installed and a bit of RAM for $55.
Yeah that board is pretty awesome and a great price imo. Onboard SCSI to boot! Would of jumped at it a few years back but these days I prefer my servers to be quiet and energy efficient.

Let us know what the shop is like. If I'm ever in Melbourne again in the not too distant future I wouldn't mind dropping in if it's worth the effort. Would be fantastic to walk into a shop and see old gear for change.

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd April 2014, 8:48 AM   #107
badmofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
Let us know what the shop is like. If I'm ever in Melbourne again in the not too distant future I wouldn't mind dropping in if it's worth the effort. Would be fantastic to walk into a shop and see old gear for change.
I dropped in there a while back and the 2 guys I talked to were all glazed stares and unhelpful one line responses. The younger one didn't seem to know what a 486 was, and I walked away under the impression that they were a) both depressed and lacking basic life skills and b) didn't have half of the stuff listed on their website.

But maybe they were just having an off day.
badmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 12:18 AM   #108
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

Got this little Philips 18.5" LED monitor because it has a 4:3 aspect ratio button. 4:3 aspect ratio monitors are hard to find. One option is old 1024 x 768 monitors, but they are indeed old with slow refresh times and poor colours.

At the other end of the extreme are 20" 1600 x 1200 LCDs. Hard to find and not cheap. 1920 x 1200 screens are also an option if they have a 4:3 aspect ratio mode.

Here some images:

Mau1wurf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 12:50 AM   #109
shane41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau1wurf1977 View Post
Got these 3 Pentium 4 motherboards. The large AOpen has SIS chipset, the other ones are Intel.

I got them for 99 cent each, but postage was $15 a pop and it appears the seller paid $21 which is odd, seeing the seller used an eBay satchel and each box only weighs a Kg. Has AusPost increased prices on 3Kg Satchels?

Also the AOpen board (Intel chipset) doesn't post. Shame as this was the one I wanted to use for my Voodoo 2 benchmarking marathon

"Adventurous packing". Bubble wrap and stuck in a satchel

Some images:

With the Abit I Expected some fancy looking BIOS, but nope, looks pretty standard. There was a BIOS password but I CMOS cleared it.

Non POSTing AOpen Intel chipset board

Know how it feels, buying boards that don't post.

3x New boards purchased Ebay. 2x are second hand that arrived
& did not post.

The one gem in the rough was this.

Bought some cheapy cpus. Bit bashed up for 5 bucks.

3x had a fair bit of pins that needed work.

The score was

2x palamino 1.4 & 1.5 ghz
1x Thoroughbred, about 1.8ghz IIRC
1x Barton xp2600

Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 1:20 AM   #110
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

Nice board!

Turns out that SIS chipset board from AOpen has a few caps which are bulging. And I played around with the Abit board and it froze a few times. So basically all three boards are dodgy and I paid $15 shipping each

I think many of these boards suffer from cap damage. Currents / temperatures used to be a lot higher compared to 486 and early Pentium gear.

A typical Pentium used maybe 20W, a P4 up 70W+
Old 4th April 2014, 8:32 AM   #111
badmofo

Quote:
Got this little Philips 18.5" LED monitor because it has a 4:3 aspect ratio button. 4:3 aspect ratio monitors are hard to find. One option is old 1024 x 768 monitors, but they are indeed old with slow refresh times and poor colours.
Very interesting, could you explain more about this please? I'm completely retarded when it comes to resolutions, aspect ratios, etc but I'd like to have a modern option if my CRT kicks the bucket.

In 4:3 mode, what sized image do you end up with? About 17 or 18" I'm assuming? And what does the screen do with DOS resolutions? It will still have to scale it I suppose, but at a 1:1 ratio?

How does it look in DOS games? Is ghosting still an issue with as screen this new?

What model number is it and where did you get it?

Thanks!
badmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 10:16 AM   #112
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

The image ends up being very small. I will measure it and let you know the diagonal in inches.

Scaling is great, no complaints. Speed / ghosting is typical of a TN, not an issue and miles better than "real" 1024 x 768 LCDs which use ancient panels.

It works great under DOS through VGA or DVI, doesn't matter. Under Windows you can then play 1024 x 768 and have perfect pixel mapping (because the monitor has 768 vertical pixels).

Played some Splinter Cell last night and it works great!

On the 1280 x 1024 screen I found that many game don't even have that resolution, just 1280 x 960, which is the resolution they should have used to make 17" and 19" Monitors.

I might do a video on this topic explaining the issue a bit more.
Old 4th April 2014, 10:52 AM   #113
BuuBox

I like using a 24" 16:10 monitor - as long as it has 1:1 pixel mapping and a few scaling options.

Gives you 1600x1200 at 1:1, a decent size screen, and a 4:3 mode for scaling lower resolutions.
BuuBox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 11:13 AM   #114
shane41

Quote:
Nice board!

Turns out that SIS chipset board from AOpen has a few caps which are bulging. And I played around with the Abit board and it froze a few times. So basically all three boards are dodgy and I paid $15 shipping each

I think many of these boards suffer from cap damage. Currents / temperatures used to be a lot higher compared to 486 and early Pentium gear.

A typical Pentium used maybe 20W, a P4 up 70W+
Was a big fan of AOpen & still am.
Have a keyboard still & scored some nice server style AOpen cases.

Friend has an AOpen socket7 board stashed for me. Think it may be a 440mx chipset. This does post.

Negotiating some Asus A97 mb's too.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=a...11%3B300%3B225
Old 4th April 2014, 11:51 AM   #115
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
I like using a 24" 16:10 monitor - as long as it has 1:1 pixel mapping and a few scaling options.

Gives you 1600x1200 at 1:1, a decent size screen, and a 4:3 mode for scaling lower resolutions.
I'd love to grab one, but reviews that look into this are hard to find. We got some 1680 x 1050 16:10 at work with a 4:3 button (Benq). Good enough, but not ideal.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977; 4th April 2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 4th April 2014, 12:39 PM   #116
shane41

Quote:

Snip.
I'm so over dodgy sellers!

See there he nailed you with 3x boards. Noticed after I re-read.
As you agreed to 3x lots of $15 postage, you have no recourse.

I'm negotiating with an excellent seller atm...............

For 3x Asus sp97 boards sporting 133 pentiums.
Just awaiting testing of the 2x final boards before shipping out Monday.

If these work out, you interested in one? I could divert it your way.
Do have a spare 200mmx pentium here & there purchased ebay too.
Old 4th April 2014, 12:49 PM   #117
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

I'm set with Socket 7 boards

One highlight from last week, a new-in-box, never used, even smelling new, Asrock P4i65G

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/p4i65g/

I have a used one as well and they are a pleasure to work with. Also nice and compact compared to the Asus, Gigabyte and Abit boards.

I will use this board for my massive Voodoo 2 scaling project for the Pentium 4 platform.

I got a S370 board to pickup from the Post Office. It has a Tualatin compatible Intel chipset, but is an Acer OEM board. So I will only find out through trying if it takes the Tualatin chips.

If not I will have to use a different board from Gigabyte with VIA chipset.
Old 4th April 2014, 1:28 PM   #118
shane41

Have one of these, sure I fired it up last week. Looks new too.
No idea where I got this one now.

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/...ds/1215_2.html

Have some OK socket 370 boards, but need a tidy & a few caps done.
I'm fine with that type of soldering.

Biggest of those type cpu's here is a 1ghz, followed by some 933's.
Then a misfit 1200 celeron.

Got one of these ( Super clean + tidy ) like Brand New.

Gateway 400c fitted with Celeron 400. Way way better than the ebay pic.
Oem but nice anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-G6-3...3D321219697812
Old 4th April 2014, 6:22 PM   #119
Flamin Joe

Quote:

*** hugs my Dell 2405 ***

Use to be my main monitor being driven by the latest gear, now it gets a XT, Amiga 500 and anything else I can throw at it. 1:1 pixel mapping, a plethora of input options (DVI/VGA/S-Video/Composite) makes it a winner in my books.

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 8:05 PM   #120
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

So that LCD has your retro seal of approval?

Might keep my eyes out for a second hand one...

Wondering if there are any current 16:10 screens with retro compatibility (4:3 aspect ratio mode).

Picked up that Acer motherboard and while it was well packed, it's filthy as. Full of dust, unbelievable that these professional resellers don't even bother with a little cleaning. I wonder if they even test the stuff or just let the customer test it...

Was so pissed I stuck it under the shower. It's drying now and I might test it tomorrow

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977; 4th April 2014 at 8:13 PM.