Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 4th April 2014, 8:13 PM   #121
BitAddict

Was tidying up today and found one of these with two Celeron 300As installed in a box:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mai.../abit-bp6.html

Might see if it still runs (I bought it second hand on here ages ago, but it did some heavy lifting as a server for a few years).

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th April 2014, 11:42 AM   #122
Flamin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau1wurf1977 View Post
So that LCD has your retro seal of approval?

Might keep my eyes out for a second hand one...
Haha, I'm no authority on these matters but I guess I can give it my seal of approval if that means anything.

One thing I will admit about the Dell 2405 is that it's Composite input isn't the greatest of quality. But I suppose it is afterall a computer monitor first and foremost so you can expect it to be the major selling point. But I think the fact it can handle 15KHz signals is a big plus and something I didn't expect. I also have a Dell 20" 2007FPb which has the exact same inputs as it's bigger brother, but it can't handle 15KHz.

Speaking of which the Dell 2007 can also do 1:1 pixel mapping but it's sitting idle as I have no use for it anymore. Just putting it out there if anyone is interested, trade or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitAddict View Post
Was tidying up today and found one of these with two Celeron 300As installed in a box:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mai.../abit-bp6.html

Might see if it still runs (I bought it second hand on here ages ago, but it did some heavy lifting as a server for a few years).
Great board! I've got what I could guess you could call one of it's relatives the AB-BH6 currently driving my dual Voodoo 2 test bench. But I think I'm going to replace it soon as I just got my hands on a hoard of old motherboards/CPU's through work, one of which was a Duron 1.2 GHz with a Gigabyte GA-7IXE4. Has the AMD Irongate Chipset which I'm quite fond of from my Athlon Slot A days. AGP, plenty of PCI slots and more importantly for testing my really old stuff 2 x ISA slots. Perfect replacement for the AB-BH6! Well I think at least.

When I get the time over the next few weeks I'm going to go through them all, clean them up, match them with CPU's/RAM and test. Nothing too old in there, for the AMD's it's mostly Socket A/754/939? (I think only had a quick look) and Socket 370/478 and quite possibly one 423, but I'll have to double check. If anyone is interested in this stuff I'll do up a list of what's there.

Anyway now I'm going off to go play with a Matrox G450 Dual Head AGP I also found. I never owned a Matrox before but I've always known of their 2D quality being right up there with the best, if not being the best for their time. Damn they were right.

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 3:30 PM   #123
BuuBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
I dropped in there a while back and the 2 guys I talked to were all glazed stares and unhelpful one line responses. The younger one didn't seem to know what a 486 was, and I walked away under the impression that they were a) both depressed and lacking basic life skills and b) didn't have half of the stuff listed on their website.
Picked up an ISA Tseng Labs ET4000 and a 341 MB HDD off them today.

I emailed them earlier in the week, so the cards and HDD were ready for me. I was dealing with Mark - he's obviously a bit of a retro computer enthusiast.

I think he keeps the older stuff elsewhere and brings it to the store when ordered. Anyway, great experience and I'd deal with them again.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 6:54 PM   #124
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

Great outcome BuuBox!

That Acer Socket 370 motherboard I took under the shower, I think you need to let it dry a lot more than I did

Yesterday it wouldn't turn on. Today it would fire up but the clock would race at like triple the speed. This afternoon it's fully working

Bloody Tualatin CPUs though, they are taller and I snapped that little plastic hook off at my first attempt at mounting the cooler. So now the cooler just sits there without fastening. Works well though, it's a very large one with a 7000 rpm cooler and the temps are 40c.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977; 5th April 2014 at 6:59 PM.
Mau1wurf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 8:13 PM   #125
BuuBox

Yeah I'm happy with the parts - they'll finish off my 386 with fairly correct vintage components. I just don't have a case.

The 370 board cleaned up well. Shame about the clip. I've found using metho can help with cleaning and drying.
Old 5th April 2014, 8:40 PM   #126
shane41

We have twins.

Where you grab that cpu bud??
Looking at them on Ebay & they're stupid prices.

INTEL PENTIUM III 3 SL6BY S 370 1400 MHz 1,4 GHZ 1,40 GHZ TUALATIN

Is that the best to go for ?? SL6BY

Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 9:04 PM   #127
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

LOL same board

How do you find yours? Anything interesting? Did you flash the BIOS? What BIOS version is yours?

Did you also get it off eBay? The seller had a few for $29 with free shipping. I bought a few things off him. I don't think he tests the stuff, but if something is DOA he gives a full refund which is great as you don't lose money on postage.

I got these Tualatin chips years ago for much less than they go for now.

SL6BY is indeed the best one you can get. The top dog so to speak 1.4 GHz, 512KB Cache and gives the Pentium 4 a lesson in clock for clock efficiency.

My tip is to start grabbing the "good stuff" from the Pentium 4 era. They are currently very cheap, lots of stock and easy to find. This will be different in a few years as fresh vintage blood will want to relive Half Life 2 and Farcry on Pentium 4 beasts

Make sure you look at international eBay as well. Often postage for items such as games, RAM and CPUs are just a few dollars.
Old 5th April 2014, 9:11 PM   #128
BuuBox

What seller Mau1wurf1977? I've been looking for a 370 board.

Old 5th April 2014, 9:14 PM   #129
shane41

Nah m8, rescued a bunch of old machines from a back yard.

That's why so dirty. Left outside to the elements.
Thread in my sig tells the story.

This one & many others not been jump started yet.

Still sorting & cleaning atm. Rounding up bits to complete the pc's

Need go look at those HTPC stye Acer Aspire cases on Ebay.
They're like $5 starting price. This board is from one of those.

Maybe able to find a product model on this case??
Old 5th April 2014, 9:42 PM   #130
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post

http://stores.ebay.com.au/eaglebrd/
Old 5th April 2014, 9:44 PM   #131
shane41

Grabbed one of these. SL657

Won't be here till end of month.
Slow boat from china costing $15.64
Old 6th April 2014, 10:07 AM   #132
Flamin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post

As I mentioned in my previous post I've got a few Socket 370 boards plus CPU's (I think they may all be Celeron's though I'll double check) if your interested. If you somehow manage to find that Rendition V1000 you said you lost in the "Super Socket 7 Build" thread perhaps we could do a trade?

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 2:40 PM   #133
shane41

Rolf............looked that card up.

No wonder he'll swap ya.

Pssssssssssst Buubox, pm me. Secret Deal, flaming joe won't know.
Old 6th April 2014, 3:17 PM   #134
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

Shane41, what caps does you Acer board have? Mine are Panasonic and it's unlikely they came with these. I believe they got replaced but the solder joints are fine. If they got indeed replaced it was a very good job.

And if it's not too much trouble, could you tell me what's written on the sticker that's on the BIOS chip please?
Old 6th April 2014, 3:50 PM   #135
shane41

I can't see any branding on the caps.
Taller ones are all black with gold band down the side. 1500uf 6.3v
( 1D1V pink/red writing )

Bios chip reads:

S58M
U19
R01-A3