OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 10th May 2014, 7:12 PM   #1
Tiberio Thread Starter

Default Black Desert

Black Desert Online - Korean MMO

A fansite dedicated to translating alot of the info into english can be found at http://black-desert.com/

Steparu is another great resource for info and media. His playlist for his videos for the 2nd CBT can be found here

There are rumours that the developer is making an english version along side the korean version but are still actively looking for a western publisher.

Black Desert has been under development for over a year, and Pearl Abyss has state that a completely new game engine was created for the game. This was done in order to meet the technical requirements of a large-scale open world that would hold expansive battles such as castle sieges. By having experienced in-house developers, they boldly made their own engine that allowed them to debug and customize their world more easily.

Black Desert is a huge sandbox oriented MMORPG that provides a variety of unique experiences, including strategy-oriented action such as castle sieges and complex battle, and also sophisticated simulation content such as trading, NPC-hiring, and real-estate management.

In an interview, it was stated that the world of Black Desert was divided into two countries – Calpheon and Valencia. These two factions are head to head in competition for The Black Stone, an essential energy resource. Calpheon is a prosperous, commercial-oriented land, while Valencia holds spiritual values above all else.

Black Stones litter the desert area that separate the two countries, known as “Black Desert” to the people of Calpheon and “Red Desert” to the people of Valencia, due to the blood that stains the sand in consequence of the endless battles that take place there. Players write their own story in the deep world of Black Desert.

Classes
The currently released classes for Black Desert are Warriors, Hunters, Sorceresses, and Predators.

More classes, including Valkyries, Archers, Wizards, Bladers, and Assassins, are currently in development.

The three known races are Humans, Elves, and Giants.

In an interview, Brian Oh has stated that more classes are likely to be released and while classes are not gender locked, there is a possibility they will be race locked.

Combat
The game features an action combat system. All classes are able to ride mounts and use their weapons while riding. Mounted combat is not only for hunting, but also for PvP and castle siege.

Mounted combat has several advantages, such as charging while mounting for increased damage, and easier access to knock down enemies. However, mounted combat takes more skill and precision.

Black Desert will feature dungeons. Some dungeons are featured in quest and require objectives to be completed, such as guarding caravans, horse racing, finding lost cats, catching thieves, etc.

Monsters are more difficult to defeat at night time, and grant experience bonuses upon death. Some materials you get from monsters may only be available at night time.

More about the game can be found here

Videos
Some videos of how awesome this game looks.

Bikeman's First Preview with english commentary

Steparu - Black Desert Online Undead Forest Combat System High Level Gameplay
(if you open the video up in youtube and look at the video description it has a breakdown on all the key combinations for the combat)

Steparu - Black Desert Online 2nd CBT Gameplay Giant

Seamless World

115 Places in 24 Mins

Last edited by Tiberio; 10th May 2014 at 7:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Tiberio is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 10th May 2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Moochin_Bastard

Looks pretty freakin awesome

Media Server - Gigabyte Z77X-UD5h WB, i7 2700k, G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb 2133Mhz DDR3, Gigabyte GTX 780 , Antec 1000W PSU, Antec P193 case, Samsung 55".
Moochin_Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 2:09 PM   #3
Tiberio Thread Starter

Bikeman's newest vid.

Old 11th June 2014, 7:22 AM   #4
Lichking

Looks not to shabby..BF is getting old fast...might check this one out asap...being toying with the idea of going back to Wow for a while and Wildstar don't do a lot for me after reading the thread/watching vids so yeah ty for the headsup.
Old 21st June 2014, 11:35 AM   #5
jayced

Apparently in final stages of negotiations with a western publisher. Game looks really interesting, though I wonder how big of an impact latency from AUS will have on the gameplay.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/06...ns-with-na-eu/
jayced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Tiberio Thread Starter

Just went into open beta in Korea this morning.

NDA lifted on streaming too, so you can find alot of streams on twitch.

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Black%20Desert
Old 17th December 2014, 5:49 PM   #7
FerrisXB9R

Combat looks ok, but I'll bet its one grindy as fuck mofo.
Old 29th April 2015, 3:47 PM   #8
droopz

English translations are a little 'auto-google' but playable for the most part.

The KR release that we're playing now moved a little away from the promised sandbox experience but it's still a solid, deep and detailed game.

Jap and RU versions are imminent so it will be interesting to see how they approached it.
droopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 9:34 AM   #9
droopz

Game is currently down for maintenance and update. (New class getting added YAY) so I thought I'd throw up some screenshots i've taken over the last few days.

There is a very rebust screenschot and screensaver system in the game which sylizes and filters the shots. Took this shot of my fishing Tamer when I can back from AFK.

While there aren't exactly a huge number of armour model in the beta currently, the ones that are in are extremely well made, have a full set of destruction meshes to show durability level and layer things like blood, water and mud.

The rain and swimming also soaks your character for a while, which tends to make them look uncomfortably sweaty.

Trying to take that last shoot, just before I got drilled by someone one their horse lol

droopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 5:13 AM   #10
hotsuma

I tried to play this game a while back but the whole needing a social security number and everything being in Korean made it hard.

If anyone could allow me to use a spare account they have that would be dope.

Watched bikeman's video the other day looks absolutely stunning .

The unfortunate thing is Korean mmo's tend to be pay to win (archeage I'm looking at you) but I'm absolutely amazed at the graphics and design of this game.
...\(__)L... Feed me a stray cat
hotsuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 10:23 PM   #11
Wodan

If you have no luck finding someone to set you up with the ssn/i-pin whatever, check out Newgameway.

Just updated mine this morning to have another go. Only played a little during the Blader patch update. The English patch is quite good but some of the crafting/workers/housing is stumping me, I'll have to read up on it.

As for the graphics, my card is pretty old (7870) and the game runs great at high settings.
Wodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 5:37 AM   #12
Pinkeh

Haha im playing TERA at the moment but BDO looks like a good fit.
ASUS P8P67 EVO | I5 2500K @ 3.3GHZ | KINGSTON HYPER FURY 2x8GB DDR3 RAM | GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 512GB + WD CAVIAR BLACK 4X6 TB | NZXT PHANTOM FULL TOWER | 3X DELL U2311H @ 5760X1080 RESOLUTION
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 4:07 PM   #13
Sphinx2000

Closed beta for BDO starts tomorrow for pre-orders, with live for all at the end of the month.
https://www.blackdesertonline.com/preorder/

Anyone getting in to this one? It looks like there is content for days......

One off cost with no subs sounds good.
Will Oceanic ping hurt though with that combat?

edit: latest trailer:

Last edited by Sphinx2000; 17th February 2016 at 4:50 PM.
Sphinx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 4:29 PM   #14
Pinkeh

The twitchy combat is noticeable with 100-200ms of ping. Recommend a tunnelling service to reduce your ping. Battleping might help.

I think at minimum you'll get 200ms from Sydney to west coast USA. Although some Perth residents have reported decent pings too.

$30/50 packs seem ok. $100 is not worth it. I'm not repeating another Archeage incident.
ASUS P8P67 EVO | I5 2500K @ 3.3GHZ | KINGSTON HYPER FURY 2x8GB DDR3 RAM | GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 512GB + WD CAVIAR BLACK 4X6 TB | NZXT PHANTOM FULL TOWER | 3X DELL U2311H @ 5760X1080 RESOLUTION

Last edited by Pinkeh; 17th February 2016 at 4:41 PM.
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 9:21 AM   #15
Khanage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkeh View Post
Recommend a tunnelling service to reduce your ping. Battleping might help.
Looks like Battleping are still deciding whether they will be supporting BDO. They had issues getting the tunneling service working during CBT1, and will try to resolve these issues during CBT2 (fingers crossed).
Succsessful trades with: SixX, Cazmo, maxed, rodgo, XandraX, pnklnd (x3), thedude, Seishi, shazzad0c, leggit, Macattack51, Sarkazein, mxmai, Rugal, 1shot1kill, dangsta, anthonyl, jET_M@X, Headkicker, tuppaware, SomeFReaK, shaddo, petal666, Moogar, Kenetixx, Plunger, KLoNe, enigma, LaGhostWhoWalks, Lord Belial, Tyrael, Sachima2000, poison, Busta-P, sven222, kingprawnie, Bloar, jinchuuriki, triggerhippie, Malarkey, esprit, caseydhnaram, jumpy, MaD oVeRcLoCkEr, alexc, Elmf, poey120
Khanage is online now   Reply With Quote