Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
View Poll Results: What 8-bit Commodore machines do you have in your collection?
Commodore KIM-1 0 0%
Commodore PET/CBM 2 4.00%
Commodore CBM-II (B128/B256/128-80/256-80/500/600/610/700) 0 0%
Commodore MAX 0 0%
Commodore VIC-20 8 16.00%
Commodore 64 (The older brown fat model known as the "Breadbin") 28 56.00%
Commodore 64C (The newer beige slim model) 23 46.00%
Commodore 64GS 0 0%
Commodore SX-64 3 6.00%
Commodore Educator 64 0 0%
Commodore 16 3 6.00%
Commodore 116 (Cost-reduced version of the C16 sold only in Europe) 1 2.00%
Commodore Plus/4 4 8.00%
Commodore 128 7 14.00%
Commodore 128D 5 10.00%
Commodore 128DCR (Cost-reduced and bug-corrected version of the C128D) 2 4.00%
Commodore Prototype/Unreleased (C65/C900/LCD/Other) 0 0%
Commodore Emulator - I don't have real Commodore 8-bit machines anymore 8 16.00%
Commodore Emulator - I've never seen/owned real Commodore 8-bit machines, but wish I did! 1 2.00%
Commodore Candy - I thought Commodore was a car model...? 1 2.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th December 2014, 2:21 PM   #16
Mickatroid

Feeling like a bit of a vandal taking out the shiny cardboard and putting on the heatsinks (a common recommendation)

Click to view full size!

But the overall result is good

Click to view full size!

Edit, I should add I am powering the C64 with a straight 5v at the PSU instead of the usual 5.2ish. Should also help it to keep its cool.

Last edited by Mickatroid; 4th December 2014 at 2:28 PM.
Mickatroid is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th December 2014, 6:46 PM   #17
Mickatroid

Well, at least I am interested in this thread

Have ordered up one of these from a local plastic supplier in 6mm clear. Going to use it as a C64 cover (old style case). Should keep off the dust but still leave the computer on display. I love the thing.

Click to view full size!
Old 10th December 2014, 7:29 PM   #18
Mickatroid

OK so here is the resulting dust cover. Cut and bent to order by 'ACT Plastics' in Canberra There is a cartridge in the cartridge port too, you can just see the edge of it in the photo, it all fits nicely.

Click to view full size!
Old 10th December 2014, 8:09 PM   #19
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Nice cover Mickatroid!

I was cleaning out the study the other day and found this:

All I need to do now is restore my breadbin C64 and start machine language programming again....

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 16GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 8:59 PM   #20
callan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu!d View Post
Nice cover Mickatroid!

I was cleaning out the study the other day and found this:

All I need to do now is restore my breadbin C64 and start machine language programming again....
Hehe - mine is pretty ragged and "loved". These days you're lucky if you get a "quick setup guide" with your new PC - back then you got ROM routines and a full schematic!.

Nice cover, Mickatroid, and a very nicely done PSU thinggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupin View Post
I like the look of this. There are a few things on tape that I play via emulation.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/1...2iec-with.html
I got one of those Princesses a week or so ago. It's a fantastic bit of kit, and very well thought out. Now I just need to get a new tape drive (mine carked it ) The guy was very quick sending it out, I have no complaints there. It's a bit pricey though - but still nice.

Callan

Faith-based morality isn't morality at all. It's obedience.
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 9:25 PM   #21
Mickatroid

Thanks Callan. You have been very helpful on things c64. Can you also say if the heat sinking I did looks OK? The computer works well.

Also if you PM me I will post you a datasette (untested but free) if you like.
Old 11th December 2014, 7:41 AM   #22
sean0118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickatroid View Post
New C64 PSU thingy. Takes a 9V AC and a 5V DC plugpack and brings it all together.
That's a pretty elegant solution, I like it!
sean0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 7:53 PM   #23
Mickatroid

Not a new idea in terms of how to power a 64 but I have never seen it done this way before. I had planned to use the original enclosure but but was unable to open it without destroying the resin filled beast. Salvaging the logo was an afterthought.

I have a dymo label on the bottom saying what to plug in where should I get vacant minded one day...

Hope no one follows my output lead wire connections yet. Am pretty sure that they are right but need to do my paranoia checks still. Am trying to get a power socket to make a test bench including perhaps a moderate load.
Old 11th December 2014, 9:57 PM   #24
callan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickatroid View Post
Thanks Callan. You have been very helpful on things c64. Can you also say if the heat sinking I did looks OK? The computer works well.

Also if you PM me I will post you a datasette (untested but free) if you like.
Heatsinking looks great!.

I have to nick off to Adelaide for a family emergency - but I'll take you up on your offer when things are straightened out! - thanks!!

callan

Faith-based morality isn't morality at all. It's obedience.
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 6:49 AM   #25
Mickatroid

Thanks Callan. I really did feel like a vandal with those heatsinks but feeling better now. The thermally conductive epoxy and the heatsinks are from Element 14. I'll wait to hear from you on the datasette. As I said, it's untested but Canberra vintage stuff is usually the pick of it, it's dry and salt free here. It's also cool much of the time.

I have been keeping an eye on the C64 Reloaded project that icomp is doing. The wiki entry at icomp has not had any new details and forums around the place are short on info but then I noticed a photo of a rev. 2 MOBO in the wiki. It was put up in early November. Looks like it is still going ahead.
Old 15th December 2014, 8:54 AM   #26
lupin Thread Starter

Got anymroe details on if the heatsiks are worth it or not, and what chips did you put them on.
Old 15th December 2014, 10:55 AM   #27
shaneb74

I pulled out my C64 over the weekend and while it's working I think it's having some issues, using RF and an analogue tuner the picture is surprisingly good, however using the composite cable I have for it the picture was far worse. I'll take some snaps but any idea's why RF output would be substantially better than composite?

Cheers,
Shane.
shaneb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 7:18 PM   #28
Mickatroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupin View Post
Got anymroe details on if the heatsiks are worth it or not, and what chips did you put them on.
The wisdom of the ages, including Callan's, is that heatsinking of the hotter C64 chips is a good idea. Even ancient plain text documents appear to say as much. I do not argue with such resources.

The top three to keep cool seem to be the SID, the PLA and the CPU in addition to VIC which should be sinked but may need new thermal compound. Pictures of where to find them abound. This website is actually very interesting reading. Quite modern and up-to-date too. Others put heatsinks on the ROMs and all sorts. I suppose the ROMs are, unlike a true SID for example, somewhat makeable.

So, is it worth it? I have no measurements. However, I can say a few things. First the cardboard RF cover must be limiting air circulation. I have read (somewhere) that a c64 without the cover throws out less noise than a 1541 or a cartridge. Clearly though maintaining original RF compliance means it has to stay. Mine is off and I have not identified any troubles as a result.

Second there is not that much heat to dissipate. The PSU is rated to 9v 1A and 5v 1.6A. 17 Watts-ish total. I may get around to doing some measurements but I would guestimate that the stuff in the case consumes far less than the 17 watts. The PSU should be able to though out enough to run a cartridge and a Datasette at very least for example. This means that modest heat sinks should be a great start though I am thinking about putting a motherboard chipset heatsink on VIC and discarding the Commodore tin plate whatsit.

I used parts from Element 14. Electrolube heat conducting epoxy ($20) and Fischer heat sinks (89c). Careful with epoxy it is dangerous toxic stuff that should not be used by anyone ever.

Honestly I just want the thing to last well, I think the heat sinks can only help.
Old 16th December 2014, 8:47 PM   #29
badmofo

I've documented my recent(ish) Commodore adventures in a thread over at Vogons - might be of interest here?

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36418

It covers a C64 restoration, the purchase of a 1541 Ultimate II, using heatsinks, the 'super PLA', modding a C128DCR to allow the internal drive to be switched off, and using a C128 PSU on a C64.

Fun times!
badmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 7:24 AM   #30
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Badmofo,

Where did you get the casebadge?

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 16GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote