Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
View Poll Results: What 8-bit Commodore machines do you have in your collection?
Commodore KIM-1 0 0%
Commodore PET/CBM 2 3.70%
Commodore CBM-II (B128/B256/128-80/256-80/500/600/610/700) 0 0%
Commodore MAX 0 0%
Commodore VIC-20 8 14.81%
Commodore 64 (The older brown fat model known as the "Breadbin") 30 55.56%
Commodore 64C (The newer beige slim model) 26 48.15%
Commodore 64GS 0 0%
Commodore SX-64 3 5.56%
Commodore Educator 64 0 0%
Commodore 16 3 5.56%
Commodore 116 (Cost-reduced version of the C16 sold only in Europe) 1 1.85%
Commodore Plus/4 4 7.41%
Commodore 128 7 12.96%
Commodore 128D 6 11.11%
Commodore 128DCR (Cost-reduced and bug-corrected version of the C128D) 2 3.70%
Commodore Prototype/Unreleased (C65/C900/LCD/Other) 0 0%
Commodore Emulator - I don't have real Commodore 8-bit machines anymore 9 16.67%
Commodore Emulator - I've never seen/owned real Commodore 8-bit machines, but wish I did! 1 1.85%
Commodore Candy - I thought Commodore was a car model...? 1 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th March 2015, 7:43 PM   #61
partybear

My c64 is pretty rough, I pulled it apart last night and had a good look and it's been thoroughly molested.

I remember at one point in highschool I pulled it apart and was working on it, I can't remember why but I obviously got bored and stopped. I didn't even put the screws back in, I just dumped it in my shed haha.

Click to view full size!
partybear is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th March 2015, 8:20 PM   #62
Mickatroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by callan View Post
It is an external Commodore 128 power supply, with a C64 cable grafted on the end of it, and the label transferred. The schematic (I think!)can be found HERE.

It's a linear design, not switchmode, but it's still lot better built than the C64 widowmakers, so you've done well there.

Thanks for the pictures Callan, significantly more current for 5v than the 64 PSU based on your 128 label.

Are you sure it is linear? I found another link to schematics that indicate it is switchmode. I thought it was switchmode because the chokes seem totally pointless for any linear regulator I have heard of. I confess to not understanding the circuit properly though and have not looked up the IC details on the interwebs yet.

Partybear your C64 is a totally ruggedised Frankenstein's monster affair . I am not even able to figure out where the case is from. It looks C64C but the keyboard and motherboard appear not to match. I should add, that cardboard heat trap you have over the mobo is the first thing I permanently remove too.

Last edited by Mickatroid; 20th March 2015 at 8:22 PM.
Mickatroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 9:09 PM   #63
partybear

The cardboard was all sticky and had lots of dead ants on it, even if I wanted to keep it it disintegrated haha.
Old 20th March 2015, 9:18 PM   #64
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by partybear View Post
My c64 is pretty rough, I pulled it apart last night and had a good look and it's been thoroughly molested.

I remember at one point in highschool I pulled it apart and was working on it, I can't remember why but I obviously got bored and stopped. I didn't even put the screws back in, I just dumped it in my shed haha.

pix
I'll have to take a photo of my breadbin C64, its just as bad. Still boots though, constantly looking for a new case and keyboard.

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 16GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 9:25 PM   #65
Mickatroid

I have had good results restoring badly marked vintage Commodore stuff with wet and dry abrasive paper (a couple of grades helps). You need to sand at a speed that means very little heat is generated.

I follow this with a vigorous rub with a metho soaked piece of paper towel. As the towel warms up from friction it starts to feel slightly sticky, that is the point to stop (the things we do for retro computers...) This process sort of re-melts the surface and totally obscures any remaining scratch marks from sanding.
Old 20th March 2015, 10:07 PM   #66
partybear

I had a good look at it and gave it a clean and to be honest other then missing a key it is in really good condition.
It looked bad at first but it is just dirt it is cleaning up nice.

I can't seem to find any information on it, why does mine look different?
Old 20th March 2015, 11:37 PM   #67
callan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickatroid View Post
Thanks for the pictures Callan, significantly more current for 5v than the 64 PSU based on your 128 label.

Are you sure it is linear? I found another link to schematics that indicate it is switchmode. I thought it was switchmode because the chokes seem totally pointless for any linear regulator I have heard of. I confess to not understanding the circuit properly though and have not looked up the IC details on the interwebs yet.
You may actually be right, if for no other reason that the heatsink is far to small for a 4.5A linear regulator - it would have to dissipate far more heat than that small plate could manage..

Quote:
I had a good look at it and gave it a clean and to be honest other then missing a key it is in really good condition.
It looked bad at first but it is just dirt it is cleaning up nice.

I can't seem to find any information on it, why does mine look different?
That's a bit of a traif. it was a third-party case, made by Micro-Accessories SA (based in Adelaide, Australia).They had an injection mold made up that made cases that could be used to retrofit the innards of a breadbin C64 into a case which approximated the C64C case. I've also seen one in black.
Your circuit board is a 250407 board from early 1983, and those cases came out in about 1987 - I remember some of those coming out at our local C64 user group: I though they looked a bit odd at the time, as the keyboard stood "proud" of the case.

I'll probably have a spare keyboard somewhere here, if you want one to replace your rather war-weary one

Callan

Last edited by callan; 21st March 2015 at 1:45 PM.
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 2:58 PM   #68
nimmers

Quote:
Where did you buy the 9v ac wall wart, my psu is dead.
I used a SNES Power Supply.
nimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 4:16 PM   #69
nimmers

I ended up kickstarting this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ing-in-new-coo

Couldn't resist that clear case, looks awesome. Looking for a second c64 to put in it. Do any of you guys have any tips for buying these beyond just trawling the usual second hand places?

Having an absolute ball since getting mine working again. Hadn't played Rainbow Islands in probably 23 years and nearly finished it first go, that jumping rainbow spam is permanently in my muscle memory it seems.
Old 21st March 2015, 6:00 PM   #70
Mickatroid

I did a clear one too, it looks like you pledge for whatever colour but add $5? Then at the end you answer a survey?

The C64 Reloaded might be a good start and something out of the ordinary to show off through your new case. Coupled with a SwinSID (see above) it would be a super modern hi-tech C64 The reloaded's wiki entry is also interesting, hopefully preorders will start soon.

EDIT: I don't think your existing board would fit (if you decided to use it or another one from an old C64). The kickstarter moulds fit the newer narrower boards found in the C64C. I don't dig the SID in them much, have ordered another SwinSID and will set it to 6581 mode, I think the SwinSID only uses 5v regardless of the emulation setting.

Last edited by Mickatroid; 21st March 2015 at 6:05 PM.
Old 21st March 2015, 6:12 PM   #71
nimmers

Quote:
I did a clear one too, it looks like you pledge for whatever colour but add $5? Then at the end you answer a survey?
Not how I read it - it seems like you can't get a clear one without a coloured one to me. Did you get this e-mail:

Quote:
The transparent case is a $39.93 (plus $5.00 shipping in the USA or $10.00 shipping worldwide) add-on to your original pledge.

If you backed this project at the $35 reward and would like to add 1 transparent case to your total you would add $39.93 (plus $5.00 shipping in the USA or $10.00 shipping worldwide) to the total amount you pledged for a total of $89.93 in the USA or $104.93 worldwide.

If you backed this project at the $69 reward and would like to add 1 transparent case to your total you would add $39.93 (plus $5.00 shipping in the USA or $10.00 shipping worldwide) to the total amount you pledged for a total of $128.93 in the USA or $148.93 worldwide.

If you backed this project at the $99 reward and would like to add 1 transparent case to your total you would add $39.93 (plus $5.00 shipping in the USA or $10.00 shipping worldwide) to the total amount you pledged for a total of $158.93 in the USA or $183.93 worldwide.

If you backed this project at the $195 reward and would like to add 1 transparent case to your total you would add $39.93 (plus $5.00 shipping in the USA or $10.00 shipping worldwide) to the total amount you pledged for a total of $259.93 in the USA or $289.93 worldwide.

If you would like to add more than 1 transparent case add $39.93 (plus $5.00 shipping in the USA or $10.00 shipping worldwide) for each additional case.

Example

If you would like to add 3 transparent cases at $35 reward and you live outside the USA you would add $149.79 to your current pledge of $55.00 for a total of $204.79.
I'm not too fussed about the differences, I only had a 64c when I was little. Hopefully I can pick up a working one thats really yellowed and the owner will sell me cheap

EDIT: There's examples in the e-mail, PM me your address and I'll forward it if you didn't get it - it seems like a lot of people are confused about how to get a clear case.

Last edited by nimmers; 21st March 2015 at 6:16 PM.
Old 21st March 2015, 6:25 PM   #72
nimmers

Quote:
The C64 Reloaded might be a good start and something out of the ordinary to show off through your new case. Coupled with a SwinSID (see above) it would be a super modern hi-tech C64 The reloaded's wiki entry is also interesting, hopefully preorders will start soon.
That is pretty tempting...
Old 21st March 2015, 6:31 PM   #73
Mickatroid

Edit: I think you are right nimmers. Back a coloured one then bump up the pledge by enough to cover a clear one as a second case.

I got this reply from kickstarter to my 'can I be sure to get a clear one email'

"You have to back a colored case to be able to add on a clear or beige case. You can not get just a clear or beige case. At the end of the Kickstarter you will get a survey it will allow you to decide how you want your extra fund used and select which add on you want and how many" (sic).

Last edited by Mickatroid; 22nd March 2015 at 7:58 PM.
Old 21st March 2015, 10:47 PM   #74
partybear

Thats pretty cool that it is an aftermarket case, I might take you up on getting some keys but I'll wait until I can confirm it works.
Old 28th March 2015, 1:29 PM   #75
Mickatroid

Have been making some new case clips for an old shape C64 using my milling machine and some polyethylene. Am not sure how to attach them yet, there are some imperfections in the mold where I want to glue them on.

Click to view full size!

At this stage hot glue is a contender given its ability to fill gaps. I may even machine some slots/pockets to sit over the lumps in the case. More photos to come.

Hmm, just put a bevel on the back behind the hook to make absolutely sure that it does not foul any components (not that it was going to) look nice though, much less blocky.

Last edited by Mickatroid; 28th March 2015 at 1:44 PM.