Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 11th November 2014, 4:16 PM   #1
__Ripjaws__ Thread Starter

Default Cheap Case Review #4 - SHAW GT-GM5 GAMING CASE WITH USB 3.0 REVIEW!

SHAW GT-GM5 GAMING CASE WITH USB 3.0 REVIEW!

I am back with another review of the newest or, sort of newest, SHAW line up of cases. The GM series.
(Edited slightly to do the follow up post)

To recap to date, I have done 3 reviews.
First being the SHAW GT1 Defence
Which wasn't actually that BAD of a case. It had it's flaws but overall wasn't that bad.

Second being the SHAW GT-CDF1 Defence
Which was an improvement over the last case but still not a perfect case.

Then the third which was a MAJOR FAIL, the SHAW GT-BDF1 Defence.
It was not...something usable. At first I liked it then it turned into a shit storm.

Moving on to the fourth review!

So, why did I decide to do this. A simple trip to MSY and curiosity decided I should walk out of there with this case. I have seen some unknown cases on the test bench at my local MSY that I couldn't identify - I now know what they are.

SHAW Case owners club should flock here

Let's just start this review off by saying - $29 can get you a long way now.
Are Super Mem really thinking that "WE CARE WHAT YOU WANT" Slogan on the box is really taking off. We WANT more stuff in their cases when we are all on a budget? Maybe...Let's see. Here we go. Number four GO!

Notes - I am doing this for fun. I have a life. I want others to see that the budget market is still kicking, but how good is it. This is what I am finding out! And because maybe this time around opinions kind of change.....

First looks of the box:

FRONT OF THE BOX | DOES THIS COME WITH A POWER SUPPLY? | Are you sure? |

Ok. First looks of the drawing of the case on the box instantly reminded me of something Corsair..ish..maybe. Or that obscure company who makes ridiculous cases that are kind of good and are green...bleh...whoever they are.

So. This case does NOT come with a Power Supply. It's written on the box a total of 8 times around the box. As well as the name of the case. In case you had forgotten it when cutting open the box to get the case out. It's even printed underneath the box! On the sides! Everywhere. GT-GM5(WITHOUTPOWERSUPPLY) - All one word there.

I'll just mention it again, it didn't come with a Power Supply - RIPPED OFF BIG TIME! Hah. Serious..8 times.

And all the usual crap text on the front from the last 2 cases, they care what we want, trouble free, blah blah blah. The box isn't important, it's what's inside the box. Is another box. That may have another box...boxception. This isn't going anywhere -.-

I must say the design on the box (And the low quality jpeg on MSYs website gave me a positive look on it - even though I have been kicked hard from the last case, I gave it another chance. Why not!?)

Also the weight is the same as the GT-1. Even WITH a Power Supply. Yes they weigh nothing. Have to give an honorable mention to the MSY staff that had a good laugh about a SHAW 975 outputting 300W at most

Packing:

Standard plastic bag over the case and 2 x protective hard foam covers. It survived shipping to the store, so it's a positive. Same as last time, nothing changed. Literally. Nothing changed here. Moving on.

But looking at the case when I had opened the box made me go "Ok..we are in for something big now"

First impressions:

FRONT|

WOAH. Ok. Hold on. This looks really good! Too good. This is a SHAW case.....SHAWly not. No..It looks good. Dust intakes, a nice finish on the plastic, shiny plastic.....let's dig in a bit further here.
Look at those feet on the case! They are like, four feet tall! This is looking good.

Front Panel:

FRONT PANEL | FRONT I/O | EXTERNAL DRIVES

Right. We have a BIG JUMP from the previous cases. It actually looks good. With filters, a nice finish. It's really good. What could it be on the inside though? Better or worse? Is it just another SHAW case thrown at us, or is it from a different family......hmmm....hint.
Also, does the front remind you of the door on the CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Case? That big filtered intake on the front? No? Yes? Eh.

Front I/O is as usual. One USB 2.0 Port and 1 x USB 3.0 SS Port. Front audio (Which is HD Audio only now). There's also a second port for a USB 3.0 port. It's even labeled on the, well top of the case. And it looks like just a USB port hotglued to the front anyway. But still - why not use the opportunity to use 2 x USB 3.0 ports and use the included internal header? Why not? Save money! (A picture further down shows the PCB)

As for external drives we have 2 x 5.25" Drive bays with filtered intake covers on them. Which is quite nifty I am going to say.

Also as for Power and for reset. Power is that big square in the top of the front bezel, not too bad, it's clicky, can't complain. The reset is next to the USB 2.0 port. It is recessed slightly so you don't accidentally throw a barrel at it and reset your PC.

Side Panels:

LEFT SIDE PANEL | RIGHT SIDE PANEL |

So it's looking like the CDF1 here. With the side panel having a bump to it. There's also a mount for either a 120MM or 140MM Fan. Which is convenient for CPU/VGA cooling.
Same goes for the right side (In terms of the bumped out panel) which indicates there could be some cable management going on here?
Paint is also of acceptable quality and same colors for all parts of the case. They also have very little flex in them also.
Very pleased with this.

Thumbscrews for both sides makes it easier to take off the panels (They were tight when I first got it though).

Back of the case:

REAR

$29. Painted all black. Water cooling holes. 120MM exhaust that's optional AND A BOTTOM MOUNTED POWER SUPPLY (Thank god, they are catching up). For $29? That's good! And it feels of decent quality. We have the same paint coating as the sides to keep with the continuity. Ventilation near the expansion slot covers. They are also pop out expansion covers which is usual with cheap cases. So nothing much to be new here.

Let's say again, for $29? This is too good to be true.

No power supply. No power supply. No power supply. There it's clear. Thank you SHAW or Super-Mem for clearing that up for us. 8 times.

Bottom of the case:

INTERESTING! |

Hang on. $29 again? We have a dust filter for the PSU mount and those feet on the case are awesome! Not only do they bump the case up a certain amount but also improving airflow a LOT for the PSU. That is a HUGE bonus in my books. And they have rubber grips on the feet to reduce any vibrations in the case. Amazing.

Even though the dust filter is cheap - it's included. It's there. That's all that matters. Kudos!

Inside the case:

Ok before this starts - be prepared to see the inside. It's not a mirage. It's true.

| INSIDE | REAR | CABLE MANAGEMENT | HDD DRIVE BAYS | FRONT I\O AND DVD DRIVE BAYS |

!!!
This is a great case inside! Look at it! It's got everything a modern case needs!
Cable management, CPU cutout, toolless mounting, painted all black, not of a cheap quality, an absolutely astonishment to me when I first seen it. I thought back to the Tornado-680 and now look what we have. For $29 you can pick yourself up one of these. You even have tie down bits at the back of the motherboard and cable management is easily achieved.
Stuff it, all the other SHAW cases don't exist. This owns them completely.
It's actually USABLE. And user friendly.
It's not cheaply built, the steel is rolled back, no sharp or cheap edges. Very, very impressed here.

The PSU bottom mount also has rubber bits to prevent vibrations from the PSU.

Now with the drive mounting. You only get one SSD mount for that cage and 2 for the 3.5" cage. You can not change them around or anything. So, you can only mount what they give you which is odd. But hey, the case is a HUGE improvement from last time so I will let it slide *devious look*

The 3.5" drive rail mount things accept an SSD each also. The drives also snap into place (Except 2.5" ones which require screws) but not for the actual SSD rail mount.

Towards the front of the case you can see the PCB for the USB and audio etc. It's cheap, but it will work. The USB 3.0 Port is simply an actual USB port glued to the case that runs to an internal header.

All I can say at this point is that, this is simply amazing. For $29! Value for money here guys!

Behind the motherboard tray:

| BEHIND M/B TRAY | CABLE MANAGEMENT & DRIVES |

So including the bump in the side panel, around 1.3CM of room for cable management. And including the little tie down points, you would be able to make a decent build with this case on the cheap. Those holes are definitely handy and a very nice touch. Plenty of options for working in this case.

Taking off the front panel:

| FRONT PANEL OFF | DUST FILTERS | FAN OPTIONS | FAN MOUNTING |

Taking off the front panel was a "snap". Get it? Just came right off nice and easy.
Now we see two fan mounts that could be possible on the case for 2 x 120MM Fans. However, how they mount is on the front bezel, there are 2 little areas for the fans to clip into (Which I show in the pictures). They were a bit fidgety at first to get in but once they were in they were secure and the fan blades never hit anything.

You can also see the dust filters for the intake covers and the power on button just there.

Build quality:

Excellent. For $29. Excellent is all I can say.
So yeah there's a few mistakes that I can see so far.

Not enough of the drive rails (Trust me, there's no others included).
3 x External 5.25" bays but only 2 are accessible (Due to the case likely being used for the other GM series)
A random 3.5" internal bay that would have been used as an external bay for a card reader or whatever.
And accessories is just a bag of screws and 1, only one, water cooling grommet.

Otherwise, impressive. I would have to make a build with it to completely test the theory.

Here's some extras also -

Video Card Size | This is a GTX 260 in here. Biggest card I have at the moment. No problems for clearance. A high end video card would be able to fit in here not a problem. Even an SLI setup or XFire setup would be achievable. That's if you wanted to. Not like...I'm telling you to.

CPU Cooler | Testing the theory here that this does in fact support huge coolers. This Thermalright cooler is the biggest I have. I chucked a 120MM Fan under it to sort of emulate the height. I can say you can have a decent cooler in here but you won't be able to have the side fan in use though.

Recap over it's simple features -
Mid Tower "Gaming" ATX Case (Mini/Micro/Full ATX Support)
Front HD Audio. 1 x USB 3.0 Port with internal header, 1 x USB 2.0 Port.
Option to install 2 x 120MM Front Fans, 1 x 120/140MM Side Fan, 1 x 120/80MM Fan.
3 x 5.25" External Drive bays (2 are actually only external)
4 x 3.5" Internal Drive bays (Two with rail mounts, one using screws, one 3.5" in the cage you can't put anything in)
3 x 2.5" Internal Drive Bays (One included rail mount, the other two aren't used)
Note: You can also use the 3.5" Rail mounts to have 1 x SSD mounted on each.
NO POWER SUPPLY. Thank you SHAW. We appreciate it.
RRP: $29 AU.

Conclusion:

So here we have an actual usable case from SHAW. None of this cheap sharp metal, none of whatever were wrong with the old SHAW cases. This is simply a bang for buck case. If you need to build a PC on the cheap for a friend or for yourself, whatever. I recommend this case no problems! It's high quality, it's all black, dust filters, bottom mounted PSU, PSU rubber mounts, everything. There's a few things that bother me, but other than that, it's quite an acceptable case!

Positive Notes:
*Price - $29 @ MSY For any budget build really!
*Cable management holes are a HUGE bonus.
*Bottom mounted PSU! Finally!
*Dust filters for front intakes and PSU intake.
*The bottom feet with rubber grips make the case look awesome (IMO)
*The case actually looks good!
*Plenty of fan mounting options.
*Watercooling options are definitely available.
*Options to fit a variety of drives.
*Paintjob is of high quality.
*The whole case is of high quality.
*The box still gives me the giggles.

Negative Notes:
*Odd choices with drives only including 2 x 3.5" rails and 1 x 2.5" rail.
*No fans included.
*Small amount of accessories (Screws and 2 x Water cooling grommet) - Edited - I found 2 in the small bag that came with it.
*Expansion screw holes do not have threading in them which makes GPU installation slightly difficult.
*SSD Cage was a bit bent when I got it out of the box.
*The cages can not be removed.
*The name SHAW is still associated with it.

Hope you have all enjoyed reading this long review.
I can't stress enough how each case has been hit and miss and then we have this one that just completely eats the others for breakfast.
And at $29. It's unbeatable value! Even the CoolerMaster ones don't offer cable management (To an extent). But they do include a fan. Hard to justify. I like the look of this much more to be honest. And if I had to build a PC for someone on a budget, this would most likely be the case to use.
It's not too big, bulky and aggressive. It maintains the simplistic look, but gives the user a case that looks more than $29.

I am doing this for fun like I mentioned. Their PSUs will still always be explosive shit bombs. But the cases are actually something to think about now. No I am not getting sponsored by MSY to do this. And to say positive things about the case. I just can't get over the fact for the price, you get all these great features.

Don't flame me for judging a SHAW case. I know they are bad, but out of interest, I bought this and I don't regret it

Thanks for reading! (I need a punch for everytime I mentioned SHAW)

Post your comments and opinions below!

Last edited by __Ripjaws__; 15th July 2015 at 7:50 PM.
__Ripjaws__ is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th November 2014, 4:25 PM   #2
FqqTBawL

I bet it comes with a Power Supply.....
FqqTBawL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 6:57 PM   #3
ChoppedLiver

A shaw gaming case.

Is that a case that you use to keep your board games in ?
ChoppedLiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 7:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedLiver View Post
A shaw gaming case.

Is that a case that you use to keep your board games in ?
Yeah I suppose. When I get to the reviewing (soon). You will see how many times it's written on the box.
Old 11th November 2014, 8:07 PM   #5
Smokin Whale

As the Official Chairman of the SHAW Case and PSU Owners club, I am excite.
Old 11th November 2014, 8:32 PM   #6
JunkDogg

Now this I am looking forward to.
JunkDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 8:48 PM   #7
Ratzz

I had to look up the case, just in case it actually looked half decent for a change

Nope

Has anyone ever wondered why many case manufacturers have ONE usb 3.0 and a usb 2.0 on the front? Don't usb 3.0 headers always support TWO ports?

Since 2.0 is backwards compatible. I've always thought this to be rather strange. To paraphrase a certain well known young quasi-hispanic girl... 'why do we have both?'

My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 9:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
I had to look up the case, just in case it actually looked half decent for a change

Nope

Has anyone ever wondered why many case manufacturers have ONE usb 3.0 and a usb 2.0 on the front? Don't usb 3.0 headers always support TWO ports?

Since 2.0 is backwards compatible. I've always thought this to be rather strange. To paraphrase a certain well known young quasi-hispanic girl... 'why do we have both?'
Looks can be deceiving! And the 2 x USB Port issue is within the review. They decided to have a punch out for another USB 3 port but decided to use one.

Full review up now for everyone!
Old 11th November 2014, 9:21 PM   #9

Full review up now!

It took a bit of time but it was worth it.

Looks can be deceiving with the tiny little JPEG on MSYs website.

See for yourself
Old 11th November 2014, 9:42 PM   #10
Smokin Whale

Awesome! Long live SHAW!

*fanboy squeal*
Old 11th November 2014, 10:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Whale View Post
Awesome! Long live SHAW!

*fanboy squeal*
Not what you expected was it :P
Old 12th November 2014, 3:01 PM   #12
Asteroid

Damn that's all right, a little ugly but ok. How big is it externally? Sort of standard midi-ATX size?

I might get one of these to re-case the htpc.
Old 12th November 2014, 5:14 PM   #13
c_hegge

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Ripjaws__ View Post
This case does NOT come with a Power Supply.
Thank Goodness!!

Btw, can you crush it and roll the side panels up with your bare hands? Just like I did to this case?

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!
Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium
c_hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 8:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Damn that's all right, a little ugly but ok. How big is it externally? Sort of standard midi-ATX size?

I might get one of these to re-case the htpc.
Well it's no bigger than your standard CoolerMaster RC series case.
Think of the K380 and it's a little smaller than that to be honest
Old 12th November 2014, 8:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hegge View Post
Thank Goodness!!

Btw, can you crush it and roll the side panels up with your bare hands? Just like I did to this case?

pix

pix

pix
Hah, this one COULD be crushed but not so easy. It's stronger nowadays