Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th November 2014, 10:40 PM   #16
__Ripjaws__ Thread Starter

Build log:

Pictures coming very soon. Just doing the install on it and tidy the build up a bit and should be good to go.

Building:

I am actually quite surprised it went as well as it did. I know it took me a while to finally get it together, but I have and it was about an hour to assemble (A few breaks inbetween and the idea of a multi-LED fan in there) and it was done.

First step: Preparation.

Took both side panels off flawlessly. Took the front bezel off (To install fans).
Had to pop out one of the 5.25" bays for a DVD drive. I could not take it out by pushing the little clips out of the way, had to use a flat head screwdriver to nudge it out.
Zalman 120MM Red LED Fan clipped into the front bezel. And I decided to remove the USB 3.0 port from the case.
Why?
I ordered this CLICK ME to install to the top of the case since it has the second USB 3.0 port blocked. May as well take advantage of it. And use some awesome hot glue!

Second Step: Installation.

DVD Drive goes in. And the toolless clips for the drive bays, kind of...fell apart. They aren't one piece like the CoolerMaster variants. It holds the drive in..just. Screws are obviously needed on the other side.

I/O Shield (This is damaged due to using a very stuffed AMD board, but it works ), popped in with no dramas.

Motherboard, standard..er....standoffs. Screwed the board down with the included screws. No problems.

Power Supply, a little odd at first but eventually got it. The little rubber strips kind of got stuck to the PSU and had to jimmy it in. Got it in the end. Used the screws provided to install it.

SSD. Used the SSD rail mount. I screwed it in and placed it in the bay. Done.

Video Card - PROBLEM

NO THREADS |
I used a GTX 465, so it's dual slot. I stuck it into the PCIE slot and began to screw down at the expansion slot area to secure it. When the screw began to just pop back up. So I thought - use the smaller threaded screws. Nope they went straight through. It turns out - as far as I can tell and work out - there is no threading on the screw holes on the case. Thus you have to kind of "make your own" with the normal standard case screw. The card is in but that was a major problem there. (Taking the expansion slot covers off were easy also).

Third Step: Cabling
CABLE MANAGEMENT | CLOSE UP
I honestly did what I could and happy with it. I used the cable management holes to take use of the front panel wiring, 24 Pin, 4 pin, both 6 pins and both SATA power cables from the Seasonic PSU. And the SATA cables for both the DVD and SSD. I cable tied it all down and put the extras beneath the 3.5" drive bay. I was able to close the side panel with a bit of force but it doesn't stick out or anything, quite pleased with it.

Result:

FRONT | BACK |

Building in this $29 case was easy. And if you haven't already read and seen the review above, do so at your own will cause it's a bit TL;DR .
I can't stress enough that this budget case is perfect for any build really. With fan options etc you can't go wrong.

Only downfall, the problems listed in the review and the fact the expansion slot screw holes (Is that how I can describe them?) are not threaded make it a bit difficult to install a GPU etc. That one mistake made this case lose it's rep slightly. If I can put it that way

Other than that, happy with the result and will post pictures up tomorrow hopefully (And edit this post also).

Thanks for reading again!

Last edited by __Ripjaws__; 21st November 2014 at 5:57 PM.
__Ripjaws__ is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st November 2014, 5:59 PM   #17

All updated and ready to go. Review is done. I looked at it, I built in it, and I put it to one side. Easy!

Thanks!

For those interested - I invested in a GT-GM4 case (Not pictured on the MSY website, which is kind of why I bought it)

Here's what it looks like HERE

What was changed from the GM5?

The front. It looks more. I don't know. I prefer the GM5 look to be honest.
Everything else is exactly the same, I mean the same - EXCEPT!

You can NOT mount 2 front 120MM fans in the GM4. As the front of the bezel goes down into a very narrow shape at the bottom.
You could chuck some Scythe tiny 120MM fans in there, but you need the special screws for the case, which don't come with it.
Expansion slot threads for screws still not fixed.
3 x 5.25" external drive bays, however only 2 are actually external with the third having the actual case structure behind it.

I ended up using parts from this to make a bit of a franken/case from the GM5 (Which is actually not too bad I will admit)
Accidentally ripped the front power button off from the inside as I yanked the bezel off and it kind of came with it.

Anyway, not going to go into too much detail. The GM5 takes the win (You should all see it now with it pumped up with RED LEDS lol!)

Last edited by __Ripjaws__; 21st December 2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 30th December 2014, 3:16 PM   #18
n2p4u

Got this case and built a system in it...

Things to note,

* only 1 DVDRW is really usable as the cabling for the front panel ports interferes with the top one and the bottom has no removable cover...

* DVDRW Locking mechanisms are useless

* There is enough room for 212+ Evo to be mounted

* The back panel screw slots arnt threaded as above and are a BITCH to screw things in....

Last edited by n2p4u; 6th January 2015 at 9:36 AM.
n2p4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 8:37 AM   #19
mangomanau

Just wanted to say thanks for the reviews on this case.

Ive bought two for other people now and my thoughts are the for the price I absolutely luv the case.

There are few things to be picky about.

I didnt like the tooless attachments for the DVD (5 1/4 slot) either. When i was plugging in the power to the DVD the unit popped out.
I went to put screws in the other side and found the case was wonky and the holes didnt match up.
The case sides dont go on all that well, which im guessing is because the metal on the case is not the thickest (but heh i prefer cases which are lighter anyway).

Raised feet are nice under the case, as is the removable bottom dust filter (a little crude but a nice addition).

Also i like that there are no holes in the top of the case (which i hate because i dont build gaming machines which need the ventilation and im worried people will put things on top of the case which will drop in through the grille).

I like the front mesh on the front as i prefer to mount a fan in the front.

Now my two main issues with the case were.
The front USB 3 (or rather top) does not seem to work as a USB 3.
It plugs in with the USB 3 header but does not achieve speeds faster than USB 2. I only noticed because one of the system i installed said the device is not connected to a high speed usb port. Its definitely not a motherboard issues as i tested the case with other mainboards and also plugged in one of those USB expansion boards you get for the 3 1/2 inch slot.

My other main beef was with the screws for the mainboard, there were some screws to use but they are the kind of screw i use to screw in the DVD. IE they didnt have the serrations on the bottom of the screw head so they lock onto the motherboard slots without having to tighten them much.

Im pretty sure normally you would get screws to do that with a case.

Anyway im not a system builder by trade, so my points may be invalid or incorrect.

Last edited by mangomanau; 6th January 2015 at 8:40 AM.
mangomanau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 8:33 PM   #20
zyn0

Default Will r9 290 fit?

I have this case and am looking at buying a r9 290. Do you reckon it'll fit in the case?
zyn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 6:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyn0 View Post
I have this case and am looking at buying a r9 290. Do you reckon it'll fit in the case?
Probably but I wouldn't recommend putting it in this case as there's no threads for the screws for your video card. Because of it being a big card, it will fit, it's just that the dodgy mounts - I don't trust. Up to you however
Old 16th January 2015, 7:21 PM   #22
Smokin Whale

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Ripjaws__ View Post
Probably but I wouldn't recommend putting it in this case as there's no threads for the screws for your video card. Because of it being a big card, it will fit, it's just that the dodgy mounts - I don't trust. Up to you however
Wait what? Are you sure you didn't just use a screw with the wrong thread? I've never come across a case where you couldn't tighten it with the right screw, and if that was the case and the hole was stripped for whatever reason, that's when the zip tie comes into play.
Old 17th January 2015, 9:44 AM   #23
zyn0

Yeh just gonna YOLO it especially as I really dont want to fork out $70 for a new case (well next time i do buy a case, it's gonna be high quality lmao). And the screw holes seem alright. I fitted it with an old graphics card I found lying around and the screws seems OK. My power button stopped working though so i have to short to turn on my pc OTL.
zyn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 1:13 AM   #24
Smokin Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyn0 View Post
Yeh just gonna YOLO it especially as I really dont want to fork out $70 for a new case (well next time i do buy a case, it's gonna be high quality lmao). And the screw holes seem alright. I fitted it with an old graphics card I found lying around and the screws seems OK. My power button stopped working though so i have to short to turn on my pc OTL.
Awesome Don't forget to join the SHAW owners club (see sig)
Old 12th July 2015, 8:28 AM   #25
grrrr

Quote:
Third Step: Cabling
CABLE MANAGEMENT | CLOSE UP
I honestly did what I could and happy with it. I used the cable management holes to take use of the front panel wiring, 24 Pin, 4 pin, both 6 pins and both SATA power cables from the Seasonic PSU. And the SATA cables for both the DVD and SSD. I cable tied it all down and put the extras beneath the 3.5" drive bay. I was able to close the side panel with a bit of force but it doesn't stick out or anything, quite pleased with it.

Result:

FRONT | BACK |
I think you mounted your SSD the wrong way. It should plug in the back. If you mount 3.25" HDDs they mount the other way with the cables at the back.
Old 15th July 2015, 5:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
I think you mounted your SSD the wrong way. It should plug in the back. If you mount 3.25" HDDs they mount the other way with the cables at the back.
The little rails they are on don't go the other way. They only click in one way like the older Thermaltake/Cooler Master cases if you know what I mean.

But I know what you mean, that's a rookie mistake sometimes but nope, it was intentional, couldn't mount it any other way
Old 15th July 2015, 7:45 PM   #27
grrrr

le sigh... i will have to take pictures..

The hdd mounts go that way but your hdd should have its plugs in the back side...The SSD is backwards in the HDD cradle.

This is only because I have mounted 2 larger hdds and there is only way way to screw them into the white cradles.

Drop Box Link so you know what I mean.. System build isnt finished in these pics....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pqu14sxg5...muCsD4nna?dl=0
Old 15th July 2015, 7:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
le sigh... i will have to take pictures..

The hdd mounts go that way but your hdd should have its plugs in the back side...The SSD is backwards in the HDD cradle.

This is only because I have mounted 2 larger hdds and there is only way way to screw them into the white cradles.

Drop Box Link so you know what I mean.. System build isnt finished in these pics....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pqu14sxg5...muCsD4nna?dl=0
Ah I get you now. Couldn't have it the other way or the cables and stuff stuck out too much that I couldn't get the side panel back on. I think.
Old 15th July 2015, 8:31 PM   #29
grrrr

There should be heaps of room behind the SSD but the regular HDDs need the 90` bent SATA connectors.
Old 16th July 2015, 5:24 PM   #30
supers

good job, thanks very much
supers is offline   Reply With Quote