Search our forums with Google:

Old 27th July 2015, 5:42 PM   #106
War1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8response View Post
Or you could just get lucky....

movie
O.O

that destroyer captain must have fallen off his chair!

on the training note:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ZoupGaming

ZoupGaming does the "Help an Ensign" series (he just started).

oh, and my in-game name is the same as my user ID here...
War1910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 27th July 2015, 7:38 PM   #107
Coopz

Man the loss streaks are as bad at WoT, 10 losses straight, lol, rubbish teams, kamikaze flat tops captains, team oblivious to the objectives and they are always on my team. Last 4 games my side didn't sink a single enemy ship
Still struggling with the St Louise car ferry.. Has no range or punch, enemy cruisers can hit it long before it gets near range and their big guns hurt.

Also a bit dumb how destroyers disappear and reappear at medium range, no fog, just looks stupid.
Coopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 8:26 PM   #108
Vladdo

Yeah.. I can't work out why stuff disappaears? it's seriously annoying..
Old 27th July 2015, 8:48 PM   #109
FerrisXB9R

It's ships with better concealment moving out of their detection range. eg: A Umikaze destroyer might have a detection range of 6.1km That means to see him, you either have to be within 6.1km of him, OR he has to fire his cannons or aa guns, increasing his detection range by a couple of kms. Most destroyer gameplay revolves around controlling your distance from everyone, and firing your torpedoes from outside detection range, for the most surprise. No other ship type really needs to play this way, but it's THE pivotal point about destroyer play.

So if a DD isn't firing his guns, and you're not within his detection range AND LoS, he will disappear. Him firing his torpedoes wont break concealment either.
Old 27th July 2015, 9:31 PM   #110
Coopz

I get the detection range I just think it's badly animated, my last game a enemy destroyer was blinking in and out of range every 3 seconds, felt like a connection issue. If it was bad weather or foggy it would be more understandable but on a clear day it just looks ridiculous.
Coopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 9:39 PM   #111
GDavid

Ever tried looking through a heat haze?
GDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 9:52 PM   #112
mtma

Typical sea heat-hazes are incapable of completely covering even 14m leisure craft at 7km.

So no. The blinking is just the way wargaming intended the game mechanic to be and explaining it with reality is just clutching at straws.

ED-
I'm not saying it couldn't be graphically nicer, just that it's in the 'just because it looks bad is offset against by the need of the game mechanic' basket.

Last edited by mtma; 27th July 2015 at 10:05 PM.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 4:59 AM   #113
The MWNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by |BeFoRe| View Post
Man that kawachi ship is the biggest pile of excrement..

got half way through it's grind and gave up from the frustration and ended up pay2win free XP's straight to the myogi, then spent like 6+hrs having the time of my life playing the myogi.
The Kawachi is tough im struggling with it right now, especially when you get in games vs t6 with 5-10km more gun range.

Games with lots of carriers tend to be un-fun too as this thing is just too big and slow to do much other than slam it in reverse and cross your finger if you get caught unaware.

That said I'm starting to have more good games in it lately, it doesn't work well alone so you have to stick with other ships, as mentioned turn towards torp bombers makes their life harder especially if you are running stock with no AA guns. It's cannons can also be really frustratingly inaccurate but when you hit, well people know about it. I've one shot many a destroyer.
The MWNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 10:54 AM   #114
XxNOUGHTxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
I get the detection range I just think it's badly animated, my last game a enemy destroyer was blinking in and out of range every 3 seconds, felt like a connection issue. If it was bad weather or foggy it would be more understandable but on a clear day it just looks ridiculous.

13:40 he explains about this happening with smoke screens and why.
The only other thing I can think of was that he was tacking back and forward and going in and out of view range
Old 29th July 2015, 12:14 PM   #115
GDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtma View Post
Typical sea heat-hazes are incapable of completely covering even 14m leisure craft at 7km.

So no. The blinking is just the way wargaming intended the game mechanic to be and explaining it with reality is just clutching at straws.

ED-
I'm not saying it couldn't be graphically nicer, just that it's in the 'just because it looks bad is offset against by the need of the game mechanic' basket.
Guilty as charged your Honour.
GDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 7:25 PM   #116
twisar

Well we are talking about a company that makes a game where a 12foot high 200 ton metal tub sitting in the middle of a paddock is invisible from 500m away. So complaining about the reality of WoWs ranges must take that sort of thing into account. Their reasoning will be it is a game mechanic to promote evenness of play, not a ship simulator.
Old 30th July 2015, 2:44 AM   #117
The MWNN

IT does seem that a well played destroyer can really carry a team moreso than the other ship classes. Especially when undertiered.

I played with a platoon of other destroyers last night and we moved around the level in a pack and absolutely wrecked face, no coms its wasn't even hard.
The MWNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 9:20 AM   #118
Mathuisella

loving ships just wish more of you bastards were online
You can evidently see who here holds an attitude of trying to improve and happiness, as compared to the sourpusses that frequent here.
Mathuisella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 9:37 AM   #119
Commie_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MWNN View Post
IT does seem that a well played destroyer can really carry a team moreso than the other ship classes. Especially when undertiered.

I played with a platoon of other destroyers last night and we moved around the level in a pack and absolutely wrecked face, no coms its wasn't even hard.
I guess it depends on the destroyer, in my limited experience it seems like you're often relying on the enemy missing their broadside. likewise i've one-shot a few destroyers before.

I'm finding cruisers are my carry class, had a 1.5k base xp game last night in the phoenix raining HE down on tier 7s.
Commie_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 10:02 AM   #120
B.D.R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MWNN View Post

That works well IF you don't get torped by the clowns

I was working over a couple BBs with torps, and the fuckwit right next to me, and I mean almost scrapping paint, decides to get in on the action too, so tries to torp the same BBs......to bad I was in the way

Also been one shotted by my own team quite a lot, by being in the way apparently

The life of a DD captain is not all loot'en and whore'en I tells ya
While they are slightly different, for this purpose they are close enough to be indistinguishable.
B.D.R is offline   Reply With Quote