Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 18th August 2015, 9:41 PM   #61
DonutKing

I agree with Shane, lots of empty cases there - I'd say he's already picked the eyes out of them. Good chance that what's left is full of rodents, spiders or battery acid.

Most of them are ATX by the look of them; which means they are probably Pentium 3/4 or newer, which doesn't really hold my interest.

There might be 60 machines but I think you'd be lucky to get half a dozen worth fiddling with.
DonutKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 18th August 2015, 10:04 PM   #62
shane41

PIA pickup, too many cases. So much effort there.
Can see seller down pub with monies, vacated premises & poor old buyer on his own to collect

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale-Lo...item43e147c398

Invest in these BGA's. @ $40 a pop too high, but they're gonna go mental latter on Socket A rebuilds.
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 8:02 AM   #63
Kafoopsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JidaiGeki View Post
While I reckon this CPU will work, the listing brings up a sore point I have with eBay - sellers listing something as "Used" but then saying it's untested so no warranty/returns. It should be listed for Parts/Not Working.
I list stuff as used and say untested because Parts/Not Working is for stuff that is definitely not working. Chips like this mostly likely do work, but it is too much work to test them. I also say no warranty or returns because I sell stuff permanently, once the transaction is done, that is it. If you purchase it, you are agreeing to not try to return it, even if it doesn't work.
Kafoopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 8:16 AM   #64
shane41

I actually glanced over this post JidaGeki did front page. Now look again thanks Kafoopsy

Quote:
While I reckon this CPU will work, the listing brings up a sore point I have with eBay - sellers listing something as "Used" but then saying it's untested so no warranty/returns. It should be listed for Parts/Not Working.

I have been ripped off by someone selling retro items lately (not this seller) - sold two 5.25" drives as Used, but untested no returns yadda yadda. He posted half a dozen pics of the drives, showing all sides of the drives except this:

The other drive was also rusted badly on the top. It powered up but wouldn't seek. There was no way it would have worked, testing wasn't really required to prove it.

While this could have given me a Significantly Not As Described claim, I didn't want to upset the apple cart too much (bought other drives from him) plus it would have been 2kg postage back to him. He did give me a partial refund, but was a complete tighta**e about it. Just a heads up to other retro hunters out there!
This is a real sore point with me !!

Been burnt many a time on parts that simply do not work. Expensive too.
Nice pictures & parts look beautiful. Writing says my old loved part, should work fine but unable to test it.

Then that no return disclaimer on the end of the add.
Old 19th August 2015, 10:47 AM   #65
JidaiGeki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafoopsy View Post
I list stuff as used and say untested because Parts/Not Working is for stuff that is definitely not working. Chips like this mostly likely do work, but it is too much work to test them. I also say no warranty or returns because I sell stuff permanently, once the transaction is done, that is it. If you purchase it, you are agreeing to not try to return it, even if it doesn't work.
I have bought plenty of stuff that is "Used", but untested, and with the usual disclaimers in the description - and the majority of items actually work OK. Also, you can be lucky and buy something listed as For Parts and have a working item, or repair it, etc.

But look at eBay's definition of Used:
"Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections."
You can't list it as Used unless you've confirmed this - and any buyer would have a right to a refund if an item doesn't work, no matter how many disclaimers you put in the description. Your words do not protect you in this circumstance, it's well documented that there is no "untested" condition, and the description doesn't redefine what Used means.

It's also a heads up for sellers as well, as eBay/PayPal are on the buyer's side, not the seller's. I list things as well, and only list them as Used if I've tested it and it works - avoiding the grief of a refund is worth the time it takes to test the items I sell.

Anyway, I had a bee in my bonnet when I posted because the guy who sold the 5.25" drives was clearly dishonest in his listing, seeing the rust on those two drives would have been an immediate indicator to anyone not to buy. I let it slide for the trouble of $10-$15.
JidaiGeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 11:19 AM   #66
philscomputerlab

eBay will always side with the buyer if there is even the slightest issue. Which is great for a buyer and shouldn't worry decent sellers.

But I never buy something that is listed as not working / for parts. But used? Like said above, it has to be fully operational.
philscomputerlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 11:02 AM   #67
BuuBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
I like this 286: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321829210455

Price is high, but you don't see complete OEM 286 machines come up often, especially ones so clean.
Down to $130.

I'd say $80-$100 would be reasonable.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 1:44 PM   #68
Urbansprawl

Anyone up for QLD cheap box lottery?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/About-60-...s/331635566317
Urbansprawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 1:47 PM   #69
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbansprawl View Post
Anyone up for QLD cheap box lottery?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/About-60-...s/331635566317
the last 2 pages are all about this btw dude.
Old 26th August 2015, 1:49 PM   #70
Urbansprawl

I looked and I still missed it
Urbansprawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 2:41 PM   #71
shane41

Not matter. Think we all worked out good parts sold from it already.
Then get stuck with massive pickup hassle
Old 30th August 2015, 9:36 AM   #72
BuuBox

Was about to post a Creative Banshee AGP for $30 posted on eBay, but the seller put the price up to $45. Lame.

Anyway, this 22" CRT listed on here looks great: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1174378
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 8:40 AM   #73
JidaiGeki

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-P...item280711e900

Better be quick I think! Lucky dip, but for $5 (pickup only in Melbourne) someone will score a massive bargain.
Old 3rd September 2015, 8:50 AM   #74
power

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-P...item280711e900

Better be quick I think! Lucky dip, but for $5 (pickup only in Melbourne) someone will score a massive bargain.
it's an auction, it'll go up quite a bit I imagine.
Old 3rd September 2015, 8:55 AM   #75
JidaiGeki

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
it's an auction, it'll go up quite a bit I imagine.
Has a $5 BIN option ...