Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 24th August 2015, 8:07 PM   #1
n3wbi379 Thread Starter

Default Banned Dog - Dogo Argentino

Hey guys iv taken a fancy to a dogo argentino for the family.... Great toward family and its owner but also very protective with em too.

perfect when im at work on the week ends...

Currently banned in Australia but a bit of searching around, there are breeders across Australia.

How does this work, banned but you can buy it?

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th August 2015, 9:04 PM   #2
Rabnud

It's a banned breed... ie... It's BANNED

For good reason. Unless you have vast experience training dogs then this breed is way out of your league. You would need to be a very dominant and skilled dog trainer.

DO NOT trust this breed around kids if you have any doubt of you're own ability to master it.

And you'll never be able to register it... because it's BANNED
Rabnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 9:19 PM   #3
n3wbi379 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabnud View Post
It's a banned breed... ie... It's BANNED

Thanks for that i didnt relise it was banned.

Didnt really answer the question just an opinion. No more dangerous then a German Shepherd.

How is some1 allowed to advertise and sell something that is banned?

Ps: when i read it was banned and crossed it off the list.

Last edited by n3wbi379; 24th August 2015 at 9:21 PM.
n3wbi379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 9:26 PM   #4
cbb1935
Unregistered / Not Logged In

Anyone in Australia breeding them (legitimately) faces massive fines and potential prison time. Even if they are cross breeding.

Quote:
•Offence for breeding a restricted breed dog. It is now a criminal offence (with a maximum 6 months jail or 60 penalty units) for any person, whether or not they are the owner, to breed a restricted breed dog. The offence is committed if the person deliberately or recklessly allows the breeding. It applies whether or not both dogs are restricted breeds, and when the breeding results in progeny (whether or not any progeny is a restricted breed dog) either born alive or stillborn.
Each state has similar laws - 1 penalty unit = $110.

Specific information for VIC:

Quote:
"Restricted breed" dogs are defined as those dogs prohibited from being imported by the Commonwealth Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956, including the Dogo Argentino, the Japanese Tosa, the Fila Brasileiro, the Perro de Presa Canario (or Presa Canario) and the American Pit Bull Terrier (or Pit Bull Terrier).

Of these, the Pit Bull Terrier and the Perro de Presa Canario are the only breeds currently known to exist in Australia. Restrictions on these breeds include:
  • a permit is required for a person to have more than two of a restricted breed;
  • escape-proof and child-proof enclosures;
  • permanent identification using microchip technology;
  • owners must notify their council if the dog escapes, dies or there is a change of ownership;
  • in the case of a change of ownership, owners must advise prospective owners that the dog is a restricted breed;
  • dogs must be leashed and muzzled when in public places;
  • conspicuous "Beware: Restricted Dog" signs must be displayed on property access points; and
  • minors are not to own a restricted breed or be in charge of a restricted breed in public places.
  • Restricted breed dogs must be desexed
Breeder not in VIC.

In addition to this:
Quote:
Current owners may keep their restricted breed dogs as long as the dogs were in Victoria prior to 1 September 2010 and registered (as any breed) with the local council prior to 30 September 2011.
I.E you cannot legally own that breed.

In NSW
Quote:
Restricted dogs may not be sold, given away, or acquired, and must be spay/neutered.
Breeder can't be in NSW.

In QLD
Quote:
Ensure the dog is spay/neutered
Breeder can't be in QLD.

In SA
Quote:
Must spay/neuter their dogs
May not sell or give away their dog, or advertise to sell or give away their dog
Breeder can't be in SA.

In WA
Quote:
Restricted breed dogs are also required to be sterilised
Breeder can't be in WA.

So anyone telling you they are breeding Dogo's and selling them as such is either a liar, and / or doing so illegally.

As an owner you can't buy or sell them either, and if they are all desexed in every state, they aren't going to be able to breed.

Your best bet if you want something similar is a Mastiff or Bull Terrier / Bull Arab type dog. But PLEASE read up on the breed information, and research research research if the breed will fit your lifestyle, because the dog will pay the penalty if you choose incorrectly

There are far too many dogs in shelters because owners have picked "the wrong dog", or because they've failed to understand the breed they bought.

One reason why a lot of malamutes / huskies / staffies find themselves in shelters. Because the owners tossed them in the too hard basket because they didn't understand the breed they were buying.

Last edited by cbb1935; 24th August 2015 at 9:30 PM.
Old 24th August 2015, 11:46 PM   #5
JugV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb1935 View Post
One reason why a lot of malamutes / huskies / staffies find themselves in shelters. Because the owners tossed them in the too hard basket because they didn't understand the breed they were buying.
Fuck all malamutes or huskies are in shelters, they may change hands but are very very rare in shelters.

Source - I am a director of an animal rescue.

Dogo's are required to be a single animal household with a strong, dominant, intelligent and consistent owner. This is an impossible ask in Australia. Most dogs that are in need of these requirements in an owner end up being PTS.
OCAU Drummers Club #36
"I feel like I'm Han Solo, you're Chewie, she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked up bar."
Your pet is only a part of your life, but you are all of his

Last edited by JugV2; 24th August 2015 at 11:49 PM.
JugV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 12:10 AM   #6
cbb1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugV2 View Post
Fuck all malamutes or huskies are in shelters, they may change hands but are very very rare in shelters.

Dogo's are required to be a single animal household with a strong, dominant, intelligent and consistent owner. This is an impossible ask in Australia. Most dogs that are in need of these requirements in an owner end up being PTS.
When we were weighing up options of getting a med/large dog recently and looking at the RSPCA and other large rescue organisations, a large majority of dogs up for rescue were staffies/huskies/malamutes.

My point still remains though.. about knowing the breed before you get the dog, and get a dog that suits your lifestyle.

Unfortunately far too often people buy the dog for it's looks than its suitability.

Or they get the dog and don't understand the breed well enough.

E.G Getting a Kelpie or Border Collie, when you want to sit around all day after work, leave it in a small backyard, and never exercise it, is asking for trouble as its the wrong breed for such a person.
Old 25th August 2015, 1:16 PM   #7
WJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wbi379 View Post
How is some1 allowed to advertise and sell something that is banned?
They probably do it the same way the Pit Bull breeders get around BSL....call it something else.
WJR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 1:21 PM   #8
holdennutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb1935 View Post
E.G Getting a Kelpie or Border Collie, when you want to sit around all day after work, leave it in a small backyard, and never exercise it, is asking for trouble as its the wrong breed for such a person.
QFT...

Our Kelpie X gets a walk twice a day and vigorous tug-o-war sessions after those walks and I still get the impression he could do more!

That said - He doesn't seem to be destructive or overly sad when we go to work so maybe he's happy.
holdennutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 12:32 PM   #9
Craggles

With so many other breeds available in Australia I just cant understand why you would even consider wanting a dog like this.
Old 26th August 2015, 12:49 PM   #10
JugV2

Even if you were able to buy one, given it is a banned breed, if something happens and it did bite someone (god forbid it bit a kid) can you imagine the shitstorm that would rain down upon you?
OCAU Drummers Club #36
"I feel like I'm Han Solo, you're Chewie, she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked up bar."
Your pet is only a part of your life, but you are all of his
JugV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 1:05 PM   #11
Juggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugV2 View Post

this is incorrect before buying our latest dog i went through the pounds in sydney 60-70% were staffy or staffy crosses a large number of huskies were present, at least over 20 dogs between the pounds i looked at
Juggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 1:06 PM   #12
Tinian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craggles View Post
With so many other breeds available in Australia I just cant understand why you would even consider wanting a dog like this.
I'm against BSL, but with the Dogo, you can be assured that almost anyone in Australia who specifically wanted that breed is the wrong person to do so. The Dogo is seriously aggressive to anything that is unfamiliar and is inherently unsociable towards strangers and other animals.

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself
Tinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 2:11 PM   #13
kombiman
Re-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinian View Post
I'm against BSL, but with the Dogo, you can be assured that almost anyone in Australia who specifically wanted that breed is the wrong person to do so. The Dogo is seriously aggressive to anything that is unfamiliar and is inherently unsociable towards strangers and other animals.
What could possible go wrong with your kids, their friends or visitors?

Why would you want such an animal?
Old 26th August 2015, 2:19 PM   #14
Tinian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombiman View Post
What could possible go wrong with your kids, their friends or visitors?

Why would you want such an animal?
It's not a definite that harm will accrue, but they are very protective and not the most social. They also have great capacity for harm.

That being said, they're reportedly magnificent hunting animals which is unsurprising given that's what they were bred to do.

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself
Tinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 3:22 PM   #15
cbb1935

Unfortunately bogans have tarnished the name of many breeds. Then you have those breds that have disposition to being aggressive.

E.G.
1. Rotties get a bad name, yet police and security use them as they are highly trainable. With a deadbeat owner they can be trouble. With the right owner wonderful sooky dogs.

2. Someone I know had a Doberman. Big muscular dog. As you approached the house, she'd snarl and bark and you'd hope like hell the fence was going to hold. Yet you'd go inside and as long as her owner was home, she'd roll on her back and want her tummy rubbed. Amazingly affectionate, but jump their fence and I reckon you'd be in pretty bad shape.

That's why its so important to match your lifestyle with the right breed. Heck even a Lab or Jack Russell can bite under the wrong circumstances.