OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 15th October 2015, 3:56 PM   #31
JugV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsarg View Post
get a greyhound . awesome family dogs and low maintenance .

fuck getting a dogo . i'm actually gobsmacked you're even thinking about a breed of dog like that with a family .
I seriously doubt you can even get one in Australia. Probably a dog with similar appearance being touted as a dogo.
OCAU Drummers Club #36
"I feel like I'm Han Solo, you're Chewie, she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked up bar."
Your pet is only a part of your life, but you are all of his
JugV2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 15th October 2015, 3:57 PM   #32
Copie

Quote:

fuck getting a dogo . i'm actually gobsmacked you're even thinking about a breed of dog like that with a family .
Given the way the OP types, it would match the stereotype anyways.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 4:52 PM   #33
cbb1935
Unregistered / Not Logged In

OP has abandoned the thread it seems anyway.
Old 15th October 2015, 7:37 PM   #34
MagyaR

Quote:

I had a greyhound for 5 weeks, too big, very chilled dog, but my place wasn't big enough, she kept reversing out of spots because she couldn't turn around and she was too big for my rear seat!
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 11:31 PM   #35
Recharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb1935 View Post
E.G Getting a Kelpie or Border Collie, when you want to sit around all day after work, leave it in a small backyard, and never exercise it, is asking for trouble as its the wrong breed for such a person.
our boarder collie is a lazy SOB, sure, loves to go for walks and the park and chase other dogs in play, but at home, nope, laze around all bloody day lol

mind you, he comes from a breeder that has worked towards decreaseing their working nature for a more house type animal.

glorious bastard he is too.

the day he came home

I did NOT want a dog, at all, but, look at his face!! ~SQUEEEE~~~
I'm british on my mum's side and think most aussies and aussie culture in general is just absolutely degenerate.

Last edited by Recharge; 15th October 2015 at 11:35 PM.
Recharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 12:36 AM   #36
cbb1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recharge View Post
our boarder collie is a lazy SOB, sure, loves to go for walks and the park and chase other dogs in play, but at home, nope, laze around all bloody day lol

mind you, he comes from a breeder that has worked towards decreaseing their working nature for a more house type animal.

I did NOT want a dog, at all, but, look at his face!! ~SQUEEEE~~~
heheh cute! Guarantee you give in to "puppy eyes" as well really easily? LOL

That's like our girl though. I always wanted a dog growing up and at first I was like "hmmm really not liking a Labrador as EVERYONE has them".

But she's a real cutie with a really affectionate nature.

Yes she snores like its the end of the world.
Yes she hoovers down food even with an antigulp bowl.
Yes she farts and clears rooms.
Yes she does the stupidest of things that you want to go mad at her for, but you are too busy laughing.

But we love her all the same
Old 16th October 2015, 12:53 AM   #37
Recharge

Quote:
heheh cute! Guarantee you give in to "puppy eyes" as well really easily? LOL
actually, not at all, somehow I seem to be missing that aspect of humanity, "cute looks" just don't ave and effect on me.
I'm british on my mum's side and think most aussies and aussie culture in general is just absolutely degenerate.
Recharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 10:16 PM   #38
davros123

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wbi379 View Post
Hey guys iv taken a fancy to a dogo argentino for the family.... Great toward family and its owner but also very protective with em too.

perfect when im at work on the week ends...
What? Oh yeah, let's buy the most aggressive dog I can find and leave it with the kids while I go off to work.

What could possibly go wrong.
yeah well I just reported my own post...ferk....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
If you have become content with the size of your e-penis, sticking clear of rack mounted stuff will save you heaps of $$$.

Last edited by millhouse; 17th October 2015 at 3:45 PM. Reason: No need for the insults.
davros123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 4:45 PM   #39
Juggs

The only dog I want in my back yard is something the kids can kick away or lift off themselves if it brainsnaps

ive had two border collies one from a puppy farm (didn't know at the time) which was a lazy not exercising type as above

and a pure breed which was mentally over hyperactive

guess you cant really pick what you get
Juggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 1:27 PM   #40
lennie

It barely matters the type of dog if its purpose is to prevent burglary imo. Burglars won't break into a house because there is a poodle, as opposed to a dogo or whatever.

A professional burglar who really wants to get in, will deactivate a dogo just as easily as a poodle.

In which case, the op is actually wanting an attack dog, fighting dog, or a hunting dog. For all cases there are better breeds than the dogo. So basically its about bragging rights. So just get a cross bred white bully and photoshop a fake dogo pedigree.

Its the alarm factor your average burglar is avoiding. I can't cite stats. But I reckon you might find that homes with maltese are just as unlikely to be broken into as homes with Rottweilers. Its just my opinion of course.

The third possibility is a protection dog. Which as mentioned, requires a lifetime of ongoing professional training. I would never trust a protection dog around unfamiliar children. Regardless of how well trained. If its a natural instinct protection dog that is wanted. Once again, the dogo is far from a preferred breed.
lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 3:38 PM   #41
cbb1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie View Post
It barely matters the type of dog if its purpose is to prevent burglary imo. Burglars won't break into a house because there is a poodle, as opposed to a dogo or whatever.

A professional burglar who really wants to get in, will deactivate a dogo just as easily as a poodle.
Yes and No.

I'd say it's more about the size of the dog being a factor.

E.G

SMALL/TOY BREEDS
Like a Mini Foxie, or Maltese or other toy/smaller dog, even if its yapping or barking away, is only going to nibble on a burglar if they jump into your backyard and attempt to break in. Yap Yap Yap won't offput a determined junkie/thief.

In other words they'll ignore it and continue about their business.

MEDIUM SIZED BREEDS
A staffie/Border Collie / medium sized dog, they'll think twice jumping into a yard, because some medium dogs can deliver a decent bite.

They'll second guess breaking into that house.

LARGE BREEDS
I'll include giants here.

Labs / German Shepherds / Rotties / Bull Terriers / Goldens, will definitely have a burglar reconsidering jumping the fence. All are capable of delivering a mauling quite easily, and will go on the defensive if they sense ill intentions and read bad body language.

They won't normally enter a yard with dogs like these in them.

A burglar could easily punt a smaller dog, and possibly even a medium sized breed with steel capped boots. But a larger breed they'll want to make sure the first kick counts, because if it doesn't you'll get whats coming to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie View Post
Its the alarm factor your average burglar is avoiding. I can't cite stats. But I reckon you might find that homes with maltese are just as unlikely to be broken into as homes with Rottweilers. Its just my opinion of course.
Theres a few deterrants.

1. A large breed dog that can give the impression - go the hell away or you'll get bitten.

2. Security cameras - give the impression the property is under surveillance and they'll be possibly spotted.

3. Quality door locks with all external dead bolts - makes them reconsider your place vs someone elses.

4. Alarm system with glass break, garage door, motion and door impact sensors, and fitted with a few 120db piezo screamers in key areas. - If they get inside the noise is unbearable and they are disorientated and focussed on getting the hell out as fast as possible.

So it's all about making your place less of a target to those around you.

It's unlikely someone is going to break in wearing a motorbike helmet and full leathers. Or for that matter a balaclava, earphones, leather clothing to avoid bites, etc.
Old 20th October 2015, 3:50 PM   #42
Revenge

Quote:
Yap Yap Yap won't offput a determined junkie/thief.
Yeah... they just love the fact that the dog is making a heap of noise, no issues with that.

FFS.. noise is the worst enemy of the burglar.

Old 20th October 2015, 8:24 PM   #43
lennie

Ok, so I did a bit of cursory searching on the dog size thing. If anything, the anecdotal evidence suggests that small dogs are more of a deterrent than large dogs. Simply because they tend to be noisier and more determined to keep making that noise.

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/qu...st-house-theft

https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/blog...australia.html

slightly more imperial data suggest the dog size has minimal effect:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~n51ls801/securitydogs.html#fnB8

This one suggests that its just the noise that does the job. As many dogs when confronted with burglars back away, and even do tricks for them:

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/...home-security/

One thing is certain. Any dog is the greatest deterrent. Especially if it makes noise.
lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 9:34 PM   #44
clonex

You included no giants

Come across lot of dogs with work daily and most bark but body language says they wont bite.
Still makes you think once or twice before you open gate.

Little ones will let everyone in the street know when its in their range.

Last edited by clonex; 20th October 2015 at 9:38 PM.
clonex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 12:36 AM   #45
cbb1935

clonex: I was going to address great danes / bernies / mastiffs / leonbergers under that post but got distracted and left them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
Yeah... they just love the fact that the dog is making a heap of noise, no issues with that.

FFS.. noise is the worst enemy of the burglar.

Small dog + steel capped boot + swift kick = problem solved, and an even bigger problem when the owner comes home.

A small dog cannot deal with an adult kicking it with force, and won't be concerned with barking, if it's just had half its ribs broken (or been bricked in the head).... and yes, this sort of thing has happened quite a bit in the past (sadly).

Then theres the ability to easily muffle a small dog. Or the fact if its a yap yap type, chances are it barks all the time anyway and people will ignore it.

A larger dog is far more resilient, and if you don't do the damage in the first kick, you are going to get mauled.