Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Old 5th November 2015, 7:28 AM   #61
RobRoySyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
COMPANION ANIMALS REGULATION 2008 - REG 24

http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/...08265/s24.html

How is your dangerous guard dog suppose to prevent burglary of your property when it is lawfully locked up as per the above guidelines ?
"The Secret Life of Dogs" is an interesting watch, specifically the episode that deals with this "vicious dog" thing and also the separation anxiety problem. Around 80% of the dogs in a large study were found to exhibit symptoms of separation anxiety. Researchers have also been unable to find any correlation between species and a dog's likelihood of attacking someone. the only correlation is the amount of damage different breeds can do. There's a lot of confirmation bias that in turn drives a positive feedback mechanism at work. There's also a real danger here as people assume there's many dogs that are just "safe".

There's also a widespread acceptance of bogus science in our understanding of how dogs behave and how we should treat them. Rudolph Schenkel's study of wolves in captivity gave rise to what is myth that still persists today.

Why everything you know about wolf packs is wrong.
Old 8th December 2015, 7:34 PM   #62
Juggs

all well and good
but the laws the law

if left roaming in a yard its breaking the law so the argument its for safety or guarding my property is a moot point
Juggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 8:54 AM   #63
Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
How is your dangerous guard dog suppose to prevent burglary of your property when it is lawfully locked up as per the above guidelines ?
Probably in the same way people who own guns for 'protection' expect them to be helpful while properly locked away..
I.E.. they are fucking useless and do little more than give a false sense of security to people who can't think beyond lunchtime..

Old 2nd August 2016, 11:02 AM   #64
vladtepes

In my opinion it Bull Terriers get a lot of bad press. It's generally down to the owners, BUT they do require a firm hand and a LOT of dedication to training.

But seriously they are much easier to deal with than a dogo argentino.

As mentioned I seriously wouldn't consider any of those dogs around children, at all, ever. Not even supervised.

If you want a dog that's good with kids - I have a Staffy X Bull Arab and she is the gentlest dog I've ever owned. Such a great 'people dog' and happily runs around the park off leash and has never attacked another dog there. She's the submissive one if anything. Even then, I would never let a young child alone with her because, frankly, children can't be trusted.

Members willing to do pickups for other members

successful trades: see profile.
vladtepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 10:24 PM   #65
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladtepes View Post
If you want a dog that's good with kids - I have a Staffy X Bull Arab and she is the gentlest dog I've ever owned. Such a great 'people dog' and happily runs around the park off leash and has never attacked another dog there. She's the submissive one if anything. Even then, I would never let a young child alone with her because, frankly, children can't be trusted.
It's the unpredictability of both children and the dogs.....I'm not even sure I would trust my own dog (golden retriever) around very young children.
Old 2nd September 2016, 5:03 PM   #66
nicholasporison

Dogo Argentino is dangerous
nicholasporison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 2:52 PM   #67
Zzapped

Baffles me why any relatively sensible person would consider having one of these around children..............
Originally Posted by Agg
another great contribution from zzapped .
Zzapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 9:05 PM   #68
scips

They arnt inherently dangerous, same as a pitbull.

Stupid rules to curb stupid people.

Dogo is used in other countries for service, guide, police etc...
scips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 7:37 PM   #69
dogodeigo

Wink

I live in oz and have had a dogo for 10 yrs . . have had pitbulls or similar dogs for over 20yrs . . and nothing compares to the temperament of him ..kids , small dogs other big dogs with balls ( he is a entire dog) nothing fazes him . . i would clone him in a heartbeat ( i will be keeping a part of him to do so in time) .everyone that meets him can't fault him . they are a awesome breed .he was a absolute machine when i hunted feral pigs in nth qld and a absolute pleasure to take to a dog park with 30 other dogs . im not a danger nor is my dogo . dogos rock
dogodeigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 8:26 PM   #70
cbb1935
Unregistered / Not Logged In

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogodeigo View Post
I live in oz and have had a dogo for 10 yrs . . have had pitbulls or similar dogs for over 20yrs . . and nothing compares to the temperament of him ..kids , small dogs other big dogs with balls ( he is a entire dog) nothing fazes him . . i would clone him in a heartbeat ( i will be keeping a part of him to do so in time) .everyone that meets him can't fault him . they are a awesome breed .he was a absolute machine when i hunted feral pigs in nth qld and a absolute pleasure to take to a dog park with 30 other dogs . im not a danger nor is my dogo . dogos rock
Congratulations on admitting you are breaking the law.

Fines are rather large too.

Dogos are not only a restricted breed, but must be neutered in ALL states (and you can't have them in all states).

Breeding them carries even bigger fines and potentially prison time.
Old 24th October 2016, 8:54 PM   #71
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogodeigo View Post
he was a absolute machine when i hunted feral pigs in nth qld and a absolute pleasure to take to a dog park with 30 other dogs . im not a danger nor is my dogo . dogos rock
Until he mauls another to death, or even worse, a child.
Old 8th November 2016, 3:43 PM   #72
Smoke87

Man after having a VERY large stafy or mastiff cross lunge at me and snap with an audible 'clap' of his jaws, I'm carrying a hammer in my car on trips to the dog park. This was after giving him a good pat to let him smell my dog on me after he had a go at my dog. I had the all-clear from the owner who then had the dog on the leash. A witness exclaimed he thought the dog as a protection dog or trained to do this on leash; who the f* does this then takes such a dog out in public?!

Once these dangerous breeds lock, you can find yourself unable to dislodge them. I won't hesitate to put down a dog locked onto my dogs, nor would I hesitate getting through an owner prior to do so if it means saving my dog.

~ I don't care for anyone wishing to argue whether they are classed dangerous nor 'its all to do with the breed'. I just don't care because consistently it is mastiffs and staffies that exhibit undesirable behavior that quickly and predictably escalates to dog fights at every dog park I've been to. Don't bother to attempt arguing the matter with me, I won't engage you.
Futuremark is my favourite games developer.
Smoke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 4:40 PM   #73
WJR
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke87 View Post
Man after having a VERY large stafy or mastiff cross lunge at me and snap with an audible 'clap' of his jaws, I'm carrying a hammer in my car on trips to the dog park.
I carry a heavy club like stick everytime I go the beach thanks to the flogs who insist on walking past the great big DOGS MUST BE ON LEASH sign and then letting their 30+ kg of fur and teeth tear all over the place with zero control.

Some dog owners try to do the right thing but the majority are spastics who shouldn't own a pet rock.
WJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 8:54 PM   #74
holdennutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJR View Post
I carry a heavy club like stick everytime I go the beach thanks to the flogs who insist on walking past the great big DOGS MUST BE ON LEASH sign and then letting their 30+ kg of fur and teeth tear all over the place with zero control.

Some dog owners try to do the right thing but the majority are spastics who shouldn't own a pet rock.

I carry an item as well when I walk our two after getting attacked in our street by two very large dogs. (Basil ended up needing an op & other such repairs).

Not anything aggressive enough to get myself in trouble for having it on me. But enough to easily kill an attacking dog if the need arose.

Holy crap I hope I never end up in that situation again where I have to make the decision to use it. I'm the kind of person who'd kill an attacking dog to save my dog and then feel horrible about it.

Last edited by holdennutta; 9th November 2016 at 12:27 PM.
holdennutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 12:25 PM   #75
Smoke87

I'd feel awful too; I'm feeling awful about forcing a house mate to adopt out her dog because he isn't cared for. He's not been walked nor taken to the park for 3 months. She wonders why he is now getting bitey, is aggressive to my female at 6 months old and destroys ANYTHING he gets his teeth on.

No longer my problem in 11 days...
Futuremark is my favourite games developer.
Smoke87 is offline   Reply With Quote