Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Old 20th July 2016, 4:43 PM   #16
Sico Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbu View Post
Whatever you do, don't buy one from the local shopping centre places as it will be from a puppy farm.

Either directly from the breeder or from an animal rescue place.
Get a rescue dog, or just hold onto one. I currently have one, all food and vet bills are paid for, just got to put up with it until you can teach it not to piss inside then it generally gets adopted lol.
Old 20th July 2016, 4:56 PM   #17
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Kids will lose interest.
You don't know that, and the thing with dogs is they don't really let you lose interest because they pester you to play with them. Unlike small animals (rabbits, guinea pigs) that can be ignored in a hutch, a dog will seek you out and make you take interest by sitting on you.

I have a young girl come and help me clean out my animal enclosures. She's got dogs at her house and she has a cat, and she is still interested in my dog, always wants to bring her in the car or take her to the park. It depends on the kids.

Fostering an adult dog is a better way to suss out their determination to have a dog (a dog, not just a cute playful puppy). If you foster somebody and like him/her, you can keep it, you don't HAVE to give it back, they are all up for adoption, otherwise it'll get a forever home somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 5:41 PM   #18
warrenr Thread Starter

The foster idea looks pretty good actually and could solve all my problems.......but as mentioned the kids do tend to itch when around "some" of our friends dogs - so I guess it "may" depend on the breed. sounds like a great way to trial the whole thing and give a dog a chance as well

PS I'm definately not interested in a puppy - more like a dog that 6 - 12 months old.

I doubt the kids will lose interest - they'll play with it forever - they just wont do the hard yards :P (They had a rabbit when younger and loved it. we were all heartbroken when a fox got to it and to this day they still talk about it and want another one. I had to do the move the cage thing, clean its bedding etc - but yeah the kids would always play with it. little critter ended up living in the house during the day just following everyone around).
warrenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 7:11 PM   #19
WJR
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
You don't know that, and the thing with dogs is they don't really let you lose interest because they pester you to play with them.
And yet so many winners get a dog then when the novelty wears off it's left in the back yard bored shitless, barking at the sky and annoying everyone within a kilometer radius. Not saying the OP will do this but it seems to be pretty common in my area.
WJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 9:13 PM   #20
cbb1935
Unregistered / Not Logged In

A few things to note re Spitz cross breeds:
1. Spitz aren't a hyperallergic breed.
2. They are a high energy dog despite their size.
3. They can bark.. A LOT!!
4. The can be nippy.
5. They shed hair.. A LOT!!

In regards to getting a dog, if you were in Sydney Monikas Doggie Rescue allow people to take their adoption dogs for walks.

Rescue dogs are great, but I have heard of a few tales before about dogs starting to turn in personality shortly after rehoming, and requiring to be returned. With kids involved, I'd err on side of caution.

Breeders are a good source of great personality and stable dogs. If you can find one with a retiring breed bitch that is worth looking into. Most will be a few years old, in excellent health, have all relevant DNA tests done for degenerative diseases, and can often be bought on a no breed policy without papers for much cheaper.

www.dogzonline.com.au is a great resource for such things.

Given a potential allergy (I'm not allergic to dogs but every so often get hives from our one)... I'd stick with Poodles or poodle crossbreeds (groodle/labradoodle/mini labradoodle/cavoodle/etc). They rarely shed, they are pretty quiet dogs, and well suited to inside life.

Food for thought there anyway..

Another thing .. don't undervalue the potential health and psychological benefits of a dog. Remember a dogs love is unconditional..... even when your having the shittiest day, they can cheer you up.

Last edited by cbb1935; 22nd October 2016 at 8:34 PM.
Old 20th July 2016, 10:02 PM   #21
warrenr Thread Starter

This one is a spitz x poodle. One thing I noticed is that there was a definate lack of hair left on my daughters black jacket, and these seemed to be really calm compared to the crazy pack in the next window.

barking isnt an issue (inside dog). I'm a little wary of $$ as well. The dog was 1.5K and I know I'm going to spend another $500 on other stuff (dog door, crate, bedding, toys, vacinations etc)
TBH I really felt sorry for these dogs, dragged out of their glass enclosure every 5 secs for some kid to hold them.
Missus is a bit wary of a rescue dog as potential behaviour issues. tbh though I'd rather a dog that was checked out by the vet at RSPCA then a pup from a pet store

Still in 2 minds and could probably bribe the kids to get a rabbit again

Its a big change getting a dog and I know its going to be expensive...require alot of ongoing care. will keep an eye out for a rescue dog - seems to be a win win all round that way
Old 21st July 2016, 12:20 AM   #22
cbb1935
Unregistered / Not Logged In

If you look at the fur, it's not a poodle coat, it's a Spitz coat... so will definitely shed.

Dogs don't shed all year round (our Lab sheds really heavily twice a year, and outside that only the odd hair).

Costwise she set us back $3k but the emotional companionship she offers is second to none.

Dogs are not cheap at all... but the costs come in waves. $200-$250 in dog food lasts about 3 months. $200 in flea/tick/worming lasts 3-6 months.

Getting started costs (toys, bedding, collars, leashes, harnesses, etc etc) are the big up front cost.

If everyone is not 100% committed to getting a dog (you, wife and kids), it's going to be tricky though.
Old 21st July 2016, 1:16 AM   #23
mmBax

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
tbh though I'd rather a dog that was checked out by the vet at RSPCA then a pup from a pet store
Just throwing it out there, although the RSPCA will sell you a rescue that's been desexed and wormed etc, they don't exactly come with a 10 year guarantee or anything. Friend of mine got a rescue, the dog had cancer and hip problems - lets just say it had a fantastic 12 months, still better than its alternative.

Can I vote for a Pomapoo if there's an option. Pomeranian/Poodle cross. It's what my Mrs has. It's a small dog, eats about as much as a rabbit would. Ours has more poodle hair so it's shorter/curlier and doesn't shed. She doesn't bark much. I guess you could consider it hypo allergenic if you're looking at the poodle side of things. Ultimately though if you get one with more poodle hair, you'll be looking at brushing and haircuts. By all accounts I've read it's meant to be a once a day brush. I can't remember the last time I brushed her. She gets long hair, if it starts to look ratty we normally get a mobile groomer to come and give her a trim. Maybe once every 2-3 months for 50 dollars, call that expensive but my other dog would easily eat that much money in food.

She's about 5kg or so maybe, stands about 30cm high. Loves people etc etc etc.

Pic for interests sake.
Scibb by Chris Baxter, on Flickr
mmBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 6:52 AM   #24
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJR View Post
And yet so many winners get a dog then when the novelty wears off it's left in the back yard bored shitless, barking at the sky and annoying everyone within a kilometer radius.
Exactly right. There is a reason the RSPCA had advertisements saying "dogs are not toys" to be discarded when you're finished with them. That's because that's exactly what happens, they are given as birthday/crissy presents and neglected after the initial fun factor wears off. Again, not saying this will be the case with the OP, just something to keep in mind if the commitment and responsibility is not 110% there.
Old 21st July 2016, 10:19 AM   #25
neRok

Another thing to consider OP, don't these small dogs live 15 years or so? Your kids could be moved out in 5-7 years, leaving you with the dog for a long time.
neRok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 10:19 AM   #26
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb1935 View Post
If you look at the fur, it's not a poodle coat, it's a Spitz coat... so will definitely shed.
You don't know that. My "princess" was pomeranian/maltese and she never shed. She didn't need grooming. She'd roll in mud and look a mess, and then it would all dry and drop off her and she'd look like she just stepped out of a groomer's. When I got her, I thought I'd be constantly attending to her "hairdo" but she was so low maintenance it wasn't funny. You wouldn't know with a puppy until after you got it and it grew up.... That's another advantage of adopting an older dog, you can assess/ask about shedding/smell/physical attributes as well as personality ones.

You can get a "dud" dog through rescue, or you can get a puppy with "issues". You cannot guarantee any of it.... People die, and their dogs need to be rehomed. Perfectly healthy, well-adjusted, loved pets get put up for adoption as well as "problem ones". People move overseas, get divorced, lose their jobs and have to move into a flat. There are many reasons that dogs get put up for adoption that don't indicate anything "wrong" with the dog. Most rescues will give you a "honeymoon period" to assess the dog yourself before formalising an adoption.

If YOU don't want a dog, don't get a dog. Just be honest with the kids and go for the new rabbit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 10:44 AM   #27
FerrisXB9R

I'm going to just be blunt with you.

Don't get one.

Man up, tell the kids no.

OR

Go into this venture wholeheartedly.

Dogs aren't fucking assets or toys, and they are a lifelong (for the dog) commitment. If you're not 100% keen, don't buy into something you'll resent later.
Old 21st July 2016, 10:47 AM   #28
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisXB9R View Post
I'm going to just be blunt with you.

Don't get one.

Man up, tell the kids no.

OR

Go into this venture wholeheartedly.

Dogs aren't fucking assets or toys, and they are a lifelong (for the dog) commitment. If you're not 100% keen, don't buy into something you'll resent later.
Serious question, how did the OP end up with kids - they are pretty much the same thing.
Old 21st July 2016, 12:50 PM   #29
warrenr Thread Starter

Yeah kids are expensive! Private schooling which is why I'm wary about cost right now. In 8 years time hopefully we can go to town on cost! I know the effort full well having had 2 German shepards before I was married :

I'll basically do what it takes for family, and yes this dog will become family hence why I'm not taking it lightly.

In short, I'm now keen, missus isn't. I have some reservations regarding cost right now and it needs to fit a fair bit of criteria so I'll take this one real slow. I'll even get the kids to clean out their turtles tank which I've been doing all this time lol (yeah not a good start, but hey they're my pets too)

Thanks for the input though!
Old 22nd July 2016, 4:17 PM   #30
millhouse
Chief Tiger Dentist

$1500 for a mongrel dog? Crazy! You could get a purebred poodle cheaper than that. This is no doubt what would generally be termed a "puppy farm" pup. If that concerns you, do not purchase it. It is not a breed.

Low shedding dogs are not necessarily allergy free. See for instance - http://www.aafa.org/page/pet-dog-cat-allergies.aspx.

Dogs shed hair at all times. CBB's experiences are nice 'n all, but not rules to live by.

Having a dog in your life, as you've hopefully experienced, is a good thing, and frequently is a positive for the kids. It may not be of course, but usually is.

Initial cost is a consideration, however be aware as others have posted that costs do not stop there and unexpected costs do crop up from time to time.