Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 22nd July 2016, 8:31 PM   #31
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
$1500 for a mongrel dog? Crazy!
About $200 under what my dog costs these days. And he's pure bred, with full papers.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 23rd July 2016, 1:37 PM   #32
warrenr Thread Starter

Ive set a limit of $500 but could probably budge to $700. got to be realistic about it! Given the criteria its going to take the kids ages to find something in that budget which should give me more time to sort out insurance costs and making the house pet friendly

I want a dog again as well given the kids are older, so we'll get the whole family on board this way and do the research first (as a family) rather than an impulse buy
warrenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 1:46 PM   #33
anotheruser

was going to suggest a japoanese spitz purebreed although it will take a fair while before one is available from a breeder near you. The fear I have of a puppy farm dog or any other badly bred one is a generic malformation causing an early death that would be crushing as well as the terrible conditions the dogs live in usually. Japanese Spitzs' definitely shed hair once a year around september, but they also look after themselves much like a cat and it is a low maintenance coat.

I cannot see a legitimate dog being available from a breeder for that price, although you may get lucky at the pound and after you have selected a breed, they seem to have rescue societies that rehouse dogs to keep them out of the pound.

http://dogzonline.com.au seems to have only certified breeders on it unlike many of the other websites.

Another good spot to go is your local dog show and talk with the breeders to work out the type of dog that suits your needs. The right dog can take years to get as you wait for the breeder and they suggest a good candidate that matches what you want.
anotheruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 8:29 PM   #34
Madengineer

What's with these fancy designer breeds and shit?

Whatever happened from just grabbing the nearest Jack russell/Lab/Collie/Kelpie? Shitzu? Fox Terrier?
Old 18th October 2016, 7:54 PM   #35
warrenr Thread Starter

well I could just get any dog, and find that it can jump a 6 foot fence with ease, has a double coat and moults its own body weight hourly or drools bucket loads.

Not interested in a working dog which needs 5 hours of heavy exercise, so I'm doing the research and biding my time.

Still looking btw - I've been getting "potential" candidates daily from my kids for months now LOL

One problem though is the smallish dogs at the rspca tend to go fast. I did find one I liked but it had "behavioural" issues and they talked me out of it
Old 18th October 2016, 9:49 PM   #36
cdtoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
well I could just get any dog, and find that it can jump a 6 foot fence with ease, has a double coat and moults its own body weight hourly or drools bucket loads.

Not interested in a working dog which needs 5 hours of heavy exercise, so I'm doing the research and biding my time.

Still looking btw - I've been getting "potential" candidates daily from my kids for months now LOL

One problem though is the smallish dogs at the rspca tend to go fast. I did find one I liked but it had "behavioural" issues and they talked me out of it
well the husky meets most of those requirements but it won't drool
cdtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 5:54 PM   #37
WJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtoaster View Post
It will probably howl though and annoy everyone within a 2 block radius, a husky may need some serious training to avoid that.
WJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 6:50 PM   #38
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtoaster View Post
Make sure your back yard is well fenced, and sunk fencing. They like to have someone around though, so if they are left around all day by themselves then that's probably not a good thing. They are probably about a medium level shedder....and as above, they have a tendancy to howl. Depending on the breed they might need a fair bit of exercise.
Old 19th October 2016, 7:04 PM   #39
warrenr Thread Starter

sorry - they were traits I'm not after! :P

What I need is something small, will live in the house, and doesnt shed (much)

more importantly, I need to then introduce my kids to the dog and confirm they itch the crap out of themselves within minutes

Basically - I'm in no rush at all, and just want to make sure I do it right
Old 19th October 2016, 7:44 PM   #40
timsarg

adopt a greyhound .

i only walk her for 15 minutes a day , she literally does a lap of the footy oval and then wants to get back in the car and go home and continue her 22 hours of daily sleep.

you wont find an easier dog to look after .

99% of greys don't bark

awesome for apartments

but seriously go to a rescue home or one of the many volunteer groups who actually care for a dog .

our grey cost $300 to adopt and came desexed and vaccinated

i have two cats and two kids both under 6 .
timsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 7:52 PM   #41
holdennutta

I've only ever had rescue dogs and I pretty much can't see me ever buying something not a rescue dog.

I think that a greyhound would be a great adoption these days. Quite possibly our next style of dog but our current two are only 18mo and 3yo so it's a looooong way off.

Just make sure you like whatever dog you get as it'll be you looking after it :P
(Not speaking as a parent but someone who still remembers doing to my parents what your kids are doing to you. As much as I loved that dog I think my parents did the majority of the maintenance).
holdennutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 9:29 AM   #42
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
Basically - I'm in no rush at all, and just want to make sure I do it right
Good attitude. Do a lot of research about types of breeds, there's heaps of info out there. I took a good year or two before I finally decided and settled on a dog I was happy with.
Old 20th October 2016, 10:23 AM   #43
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
about types of breeds
Also, it can boil down to an individual dog. I never wanted a dog until I met my "princess" when she was a puppy. I didn't want "a dog" but I wanted her. You'll know when you meet the right dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 5:23 PM   #44
warrenr Thread Starter

well after years of nagging and months of serious looking we picked up a dog this morning. I vacuumed the house for one last time (yeah, its never going to be the same again) Japanese spitz advertised for 500 - but we paid 700 LOL. she was perfect. when we knocked on the door to inspect she wasnt barking, wasnt running around like a maniac even when the leash was put on her etc
my son was with us, he loved her straight away and so did the missus. (pretty much why I was happy to pay the extra - apparently they mistyped the price.) My son didnt itch, there wasnt fur all over him when he hugged her (well a bit, but he still didnt itch), the missus was keen so its a win all round

Daughter came home later that afternoon to a MASSIVE surprise..................

Even in the car it was the most well behaved dog. Its slowly settling in and just follows the family around the house. a little timid, but slowly coming out of her shell. She's happy to run up and down the stairs now, but surprisingly insists on not running around the house. on her walk, the kids were surprised she walks so fast

I guess for the next couple of weeks I'll be picking up shit in the house while she's house trained. Apparently she is house trained, but I'm not going to get my hopes up :P

Click to view full size!

Last edited by warrenr; 22nd October 2016 at 5:25 PM.
Old 22nd October 2016, 5:57 PM   #45
broccoli

She's pretty, I wanted to get a Japanese Spitz. How old is she, what's her name and why were they selling her?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote