Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 22nd October 2016, 6:05 PM   #46
warrenr Thread Starter

2.5 years old, apparently already had a litter - (I'll be getting her desexed soon enough)
The owner has a poodle as well (she's closer to the poodle) which is jealous. it explains why she's a little timid as well. Already coming out of her shell and just following the family around instead of actively exploring.

I cant remember her name (it was a chinese name), she doesnt answer to the name anyway, so I didnt make an effort. She'll get her own name once her personality shines through

very much a lady though. Sat in the car, climbed up a little while we parked at kmart to get all the dog stuff (bedding, food, bowls etc) missus went nuts lol
warrenr is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 22nd October 2016, 6:10 PM   #47
Zee

Congrats on the new family member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspa_lee View Post
Get a cat.
Get a Bengal.

That'll learn 'em...

Z...

Last edited by Zee; 22nd October 2016 at 6:14 PM.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 6:14 PM   #48
warrenr Thread Starter

I was considering a cat- but due to allergies, it was out of the question

Last edited by warrenr; 22nd October 2016 at 6:16 PM.
Old 22nd October 2016, 8:51 PM   #49
cbb1935

Awwww. Isn't she a cutie!!!

Congratulations on the new family member.

Now comes the expensive part... toys, etc etc etc

Seems every time my missus takes our princess out somewhere, I come home to a new toy!

If she is going to be travelling a lot in the car, get yourself something like the Kurgo Hammock (kids can sit next to her in the back).

Couple that with the EzyDog seat belt harness, and a decent walking harness, and you should be right

Last edited by cbb1935; 22nd October 2016 at 8:54 PM.
cbb1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 9:50 PM   #50
warrenr Thread Starter

the wet dog smell is a killer so I'll be going to the pet store tomorrow. (she's been on 2 walks in the rain)

She doesnt seem interested in toys or other dogs at all. brother in law came over with his dog and they totally ignored each other. both seemed content to just hang around humans and not run around or anything

funny thing is, I was trying to get her used to the back yard, she insisted on walking on the concrete garden edging and not the grass???? Then on a walk, the same thing. except for a quick leak on the nature strip. Kids had the toilet bags ready (just in case) - never know who's watching LOL
Old 22nd October 2016, 9:55 PM   #51
kombiman
Re-Member

Our pug wont walk on grass outside our yard at the moment because bindiis!
Old 22nd October 2016, 10:30 PM   #52
cbb1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
the wet dog smell is a killer so I'll be going to the pet store tomorrow. (she's been on 2 walks in the rain)

She doesnt seem interested in toys or other dogs at all. brother in law came over with his dog and they totally ignored each other. both seemed content to just hang around humans and not run around or anything

funny thing is, I was trying to get her used to the back yard, she insisted on walking on the concrete garden edging and not the grass???? Then on a walk, the same thing. except for a quick leak on the nature strip. Kids had the toilet bags ready (just in case) - never know who's watching LOL
Ahh wet dog smell... Our lab doesn't get it much at all, but she LOVES water and any chance to splash about in it. She gets a bit whiffy if her undercoat remains wet, so gets washed probably more than she should, but getting them dry after they get wet, and a quick brush can work wonders.

We've got a Dog Towel bag (http://doggybag.net.au/go/doggy-bag-australia/) which work really well too.

There is also stuff like Silk Detangler spray or DGG Express Spa 4 in 1 which helps. Spray it on the coat, give it a quick brush through, and really helps the smell.

Grooming is a good way to bond... specially with a new dog.

Sounds like she's a typical Spitz (just less barking which is great). Spitz are more human dogs than dog dogs. They prefer human companionship (same with our Lab - she follows my wife everywhere).
Old 22nd October 2016, 10:50 PM   #53
broccoli

Quote:

The things she does will change as she settles in and gets to know you. Any toys aren't "her toys" yet. In time, they'll have her slobber on them and she might be more interested in them. Some dogs aren't that interested in toys and it can depend on the toy. My "princess" had a huge pile of toys, but she liked her chicken, she could ignore the rest, she would play with her chicken.

As for the grass, she might not know what it is yet, or maybe she got into trouble if she pooed on the grass or it had bindii. Who knows? Again, she might loosen up and go there when she relaxes and knows that she lives with you now. (or maybe she's heard from that poodle...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 11:03 PM   #54
cbb1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
The things she does will change as she settles in and gets to know you. Any toys aren't "her toys" yet. In time, they'll have her slobber on them and she might be more interested in them. Some dogs aren't that interested in toys and it can depend on the toy. My "princess" had a huge pile of toys, but she liked her chicken, she could ignore the rest, she would play with her chicken.
Did the chicken have a grunter or a squeaker in it ?

I've noticed different dogs respond to different stimuli. Ours loves grunters more than squeakers, but is also a fan of squeakers.

Got her a new Econaturals Dog which has crinkles, squeakers, and grunters and she goes mental over it.

WarrenR ... just found this place near you: http://www.petsplus.com.au and prices seem fairly reasonable. You might have to leave your wife at home though else it's guaranteed to get expensive

Also don't forget that most pet shops allow you to bring your dogs in, so that can be a good way to gauge if she likes a toy or not.
Old 23rd October 2016, 6:23 AM   #55
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
well after years of nagging and months of serious looking we picked up a dog this morning. I vacuumed the house for one last time (yeah, its never going to be the same again) Japanese spitz advertised for 500 - but we paid 700 LOL.
Gorgeous, but congrats on seeing your house completely hair free for the last time

Obviously question but why did you pay $200 more than the asking price?
Old 23rd October 2016, 7:15 AM   #56
warrenr Thread Starter

They said it was a mistake (ie they saw us coming. It was listed late Friday and I was online at 6 am searching. I left 1 SMS, 1 email and the missus called 2x and we were still second in line! Due to the immediate interest they bumped up the price. After seeing her I was happy to pay extra as she ticked all the boxes. (The other buyer was a no show, heavy rain and they over 150km one way to travel)

Her first night was uneventful. Stayed in her bed all night (I saw her peeking into our room during the night and then she went straight to her bed). Originally her bed was in the hallway between all our rooms (house is custom designed so that all our rooms are on the ground floor) so I only have to heat and cool 1 floor all night. With double glazed everything there's no drafts. Anyway, she kept trying to sleep at the foot of the bed until I moved her bed Just outside the door so she could see us.

Nothing chewed, no shit anywhere at this stage. She's been Let out into the back yard, trying to train her to go into one corner by placing the training pad there. (Apparently she uses them so I bought 200 last night online). They're just like big sheets of absorbent paper towels with a waterproof backing.

Haven't heard her make a single noise, but we've got a very happy furball in the backyard ATM!

So far she's perfect but early days yet. REminds me of my kids. Brought them home from hospital, they slept all day and just required feeding every couple of hours etc.....the real maintenance came later!

Edit - she peed again on her walk and actually pood as well this time. (Kids cleaned it up). Appears this dog is completely trained!

Last edited by warrenr; 23rd October 2016 at 7:32 AM.
Old 23rd October 2016, 9:46 PM   #57
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
They said it was a mistake (ie they saw us coming. It was listed late Friday and I was online at 6 am searching. I left 1 SMS, 1 email and the missus called 2x and we were still second in line! Due to the immediate interest they bumped up the price.
Yeah sounds very much like they did exactly that....bump up the price based on the interest. I was thinking $500 was quite low. But regardless, matters little when you love your purchase so much anyways I think you've done very well....and seems house trained to boot too, bonus!
Old 24th October 2016, 1:21 PM   #58
FerrisXB9R

Now just don't get sick of it when the honeymoon period is over.
Old 24th October 2016, 7:17 PM   #59
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisXB9R View Post
Now just don't get sick of it when the honeymoon period is over.
Agree. Would be very easy to re-home I'd say though. But I don't think they should like the giving up type.
Old 24th October 2016, 8:08 PM   #60
warrenr Thread Starter

She's a little money pit (clipped and washed today) - on top of all the other accessories, flea powder, shampoo, brushes, bowels etc

Next big outlay is going to be the spaying. Any ideas how much that will be?
I'm thinking about just going to the RSPCA and getting her checked at the same time. she's part of the family now - well worth the wait and search :P