Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 8th December 2016, 4:30 PM   #76
warrenr Thread Starter

yeah i have to admit that day I was super paranoid. gentle slow walk as she had the operation the previous day. (she gets 2 daily walks by me every day and I felt it cruel to lock her up when all she wanted was a breath of fresh air). her stitches were obviously in my mind that day hence my massive paranoia. a boxer off leash was not was I wanted that day!
warrenr is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th December 2016, 5:38 PM   #77
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
a boxer off leash was not was I wanted that day!
You need to control the "gut reaction" to panic when some monster is bounding up. Not only your dog picks up on it, but the bounder does too....You've got to pretend that it's all good, and it usually will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 9:15 PM   #78
cbb1935

Quote:
still very jumpy and will scamper away if you so much as move quickly. The only time she comes running from her bed is when she hears the leash jingle (loves her walks)
When a dog jumps up at you, turn your back and ignore it.

After a while she'll learn jumping isn't acceptable.

Quote:
Quiet as anything at home, never barks or anything, but for some reason she's taken a dislike to some dogs. TBH its damn embarrassing holding a crazy barking, growling "cloud" while a massive dog is just sitting there well behaved. Would love to take her to a dog park, but I cant see that working out. she's way too unpredictable. she seemed fine with a poodle once, just sat there sniffing etc, and then a couple of minutes started growling. now she growls at the dog everytime we see it. no idea what even happened to start her off
New home, new owners, new environment. Everythings very new to her.

So she might be getting protective of you as her owner.
Old 11th December 2016, 2:41 PM   #79
warrenr Thread Starter

Happy to say that yesterday I started to walk her in the park with no leash (with no one around and where I can see from a distance if anyone was approaching). she came back when called each and every time (which makes postive reinforcement so much easier).

Of all people I bumped into the lady of the white poodle (yes the one that left a dog turd on my nature strip!) had a friendly little chat, our dogs met and we parted ways. I didnt mention the dog turd incident - I'm sure she knows who I am, given I'd just come out of my driveway, but more importantly, our dogs were fine. my dog only growled a little when we walked past a gate with a crazy barking dog on the other side, but in general she kept to the path and continued on.....

all this was in prep for this afternoon. went to dogs day out at skye. there must have been literally thousands of dogs - no I'm not kidding! massive dogs which I'm sure were horses in disguise, little dogs - dogs all over the place. she didnt bark once. sniffed a couple of other dogs, but in general she was more interested in meeting their owners. I suspect that because no dogs showed aggression towards her, she was perfectly fine with mingling. looking forward to an off leash dog park next. of course the only problem is if a dog shows aggression she stands up for herself and doesnt back off no matter what the size - pretty suicidal really

spoke to couple of other spitz owners there as well. they thought it was hilarious that I watch mine throughout the day on the camera and ring just to her out of bed. apparently they'd sleep 18 hours a day given the chance

what I dont get is - why do they need to shove their noses so far up the other dogs butt? or sniff a turd by rubbing their nose in it? A turd which I can smell (assuming the wind blows in the right direction) from 20 metres? Given their sense of smell is 4 million times better than a humans - I reckon my head would litterally explode. (Actually that reminds me of that cheech and chong incident- now, I'm really showing my age)
Old 11th December 2016, 6:55 PM   #80
cbb1935

Quote:
what I dont get is - why do they need to shove their noses so far up the other dogs butt? or sniff a turd by rubbing their nose in it? A turd which I can smell (assuming the wind blows in the right direction) from 20 metres? Given their sense of smell is 4 million times better than a humans - I reckon my head would litterally explode. (Actually that reminds me of that cheech and chong incident- now, I'm really showing my age)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Strangely not all dogs do this. Our's doesn't. But she will pee and then a minute later sniff the grass. It's like ... do you have short term memory loss, it was you that just peed there.

Its the dogs that eat their own poo or dig that are trouble!

Suonds like shes starting to come out of her shell.
Old 15th December 2016, 11:13 AM   #81
Asako

I have a Japanese Spitz. She'd be about three now, I guess. Lovely dog, but my only gripe is the fur. She sheds a LOT. Especially now with summer setting in, shedding the winter coat. Either have to sweep/vacuum the house several times a day, or brush her regularly (which she loves, so it is the easier option).

My other is a poodle, who doesn't shed at all, so getting this one that sheds everywhere was a bit of a shock. I've had dogs of many types all my life, but never one that sheds so much.
Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 11:21 AM   #82
warrenr Thread Starter

I actually thought there was going to be minimal shedding when I bought mine.....man was I wrong

took her for a drive the other day, window open, hit a rough patch and I was choking on fur. the open windows helped suck it out - but seriously the amount of fur floating around was insane!

she leaves handfuls of fur around the place and we now sweep the floors 2x a day. Even though brushing her removes a full coles bag! I've no idea how such a small dog can leave so much. We're not allergic to her (tested that when I first got her), but yeah its annoying. the only good thing is we're 90% floorboards for her areas (she doesnt go into the bedrooms), and we have one of the vacuum outlets in the kitchen where you just sweep with a broom and open it up to take it away.

it could be much worse though. she's a very clean dog and has only had 2 "accidents" in the whole time we've had her - so I cant complain. losing a heap of weight too taking her for a walk 2x a day LOL
Old 15th December 2016, 11:58 AM   #83
broccoli

Do you furry dog people have furminators? Those things are terrific when the fur is flying. (I don't have the namebrand one, I have a cheaper generic one)
Quote:
Old 15th December 2016, 2:18 PM   #84
warrenr Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
Do you furry dog people have furminators? Those things are terrific when the fur is flying. (I don't have the namebrand one, I have a cheaper generic one)
nope, but I will have this weekend thanks for the tip! I'd nearly buy it for the name alone, but its the quick fur release which sold me. Anything to make it quicker pays for itself in no time
I wonder if it counts as a Christmas present for the missus? LOL At the very least - one for the kids?
Old 15th December 2016, 2:34 PM   #85
broccoli

Quote:
At the very least - one for the kids?
It's sort of "fun" getting all that fur off. You can knit yourself another dog (bunny in my case) with the huge pile.
Quote:
Old 15th December 2016, 3:21 PM   #86
cbb1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
We have the Purina one, but you have to be really careful with the deshedding brushes as often they cut the dog hair (rather than pulling out loose hairs).

We still use it (carefully), as well as a rubber deshedding comb, and a slicker brush.

Furminator have a deshedding spray which helps as well.

At the moment Lil Miss Labrador is shedding heavily (enough to fill 2 shopping bags on a good brush).

https://www.kellyvillepets.com.au/co...ss-spray-251ml

https://www.petstock.com.au/products...lter_dog_brush

https://www.petstock.com.au/products...cker_dog_brush

Seriously ... our dog (thanks to wifey) owns more haircare products and combs/brushes, than even I do!!