Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 15th August 2016, 10:14 PM   #1
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Default New Monster Boy & Wonder Boy III remake

Two games in one thread. Whaaat?

First up, if you've never played "Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap" (Sega Master System and Game Gear) or "Dragon's Curse" (PCEngine/Turbografx-16), then you need to stop everything you're doing, and play this immediately. This is one of my all-time favourite games, and did action-adventure-metroidvania sublimely before it was even a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder...ragon%27s_Trap
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/won...wonderboy3.htm

You don't need to play any of the other Wonderboy games to understand/appreciate this one (although they are fun). This title follows on directly from Wonderboy II: Monsterland, although again you don't need to play that to understand or enjoy this one. Also, don't confuse this with "Wonderboy III: Monster Lair", which is a totally different (and completely crap) game.

Dragon's Trap / Dragon's Curse is mandatory playing for anyone, retrogamer or not, as it's a defining game for so many reasons. It's available on Wii Virtual Console, or on "Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 29: Monster World Complete Collection" for PS2. Original Master System cartridges go for pretty cheap on eBay too.

With that background, on to the new stuff:

Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap - http://www.thedragonstrap.com/

* Nintendo Switch: http://www.nintendo.com.au/shapeshif...intendo-switch
* Playstation 4: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...TWBDRAGONSTRAP
* XBox One: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...p/bvg6n37lfl8m
* PC/Windows due June 9: http://store.steampowered.com/app/54..._Dragons_Trap/

Developers Lizard Cube are taking on a fully licensed remake of the original Master System title, with complete blessing from Ryuichi Nishizawa (working for the above-mentioned, completely separate, Monster Boy project). They're focusing on high-quality hand drawn artwork that looks amazing.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

http://www.monsterboy.com/

Previously (and bizarrely) titled "Monster Boy and the Wizard of Booze", this is a new titled by Game Atelier and has Ryuichi Nishizawa on staff (one of the original Wonderboy III devs).

Both titles are aiming for console and PC release, so everyone should be catered for. I'm really keen for both!

Last edited by elvis; 24th May 2017 at 11:52 AM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 15th August 2016, 10:33 PM   #2
Boneman

I had to call the SEGA Hotline a few times to finish this one.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 10:48 PM   #3
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
Ah, gaming before the Internet.
Old 15th August 2016, 10:59 PM   #4
Grant

OMG, Wonder Boy III is pretty much my favourite game of all time, and was the first game I ever really sank into. I've recently posted that I like the chippy sound of the SMS Programmable Sound Generator chip over the "better" synth chip in the Japanese SMS, and this game is about 80% of the reason why - the town music has these weird pseudo-stereo layered sounds that come out in the square-wave version, and they're lost in every other version of the track I've found (including the high-def remake in this trailer, though that was still pretty great).

I've got the whole game and each song pretty much memorised, and enjoyed playing it both in 50hz and 60hz (the reggae tune "Side-Crawler's Dance" is better in 50hz).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman
Man, I remember calling the hotline and they were useless - I ended up telling them where to find the Legendary Shield, then the tip appeared in the next Sega Club newsletter
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 11:08 PM   #5
Boneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Ah, gaming before the Internet.
It was a glorious time. Unless the game you just spent $80 on sucked ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
OMG, Wonder Boy III is pretty much my favourite game of all time, and was the first game I ever really sank into. I've recently posted that I like the chippy sound of the SMS Programmable Sound Generator chip over the "better" synth chip in the Japanese SMS, and this game is about 80% of the reason why - the town music has these weird pseudo-stereo layered sounds that come out in the square-wave version, and they're lost in every other version of the track I've found (including the high-def remake in this trailer, though that was still pretty great).

I've got the whole game and each song pretty much memorised, and enjoyed playing it both in 50hz and 60hz (the reggae tune "Side-Crawler's Dance" is better in 50hz).

Man, I remember calling the hotline and they were useless - I ended up telling them where to find the Legendary Shield, then the tip appeared in the next Sega Club newsletter

The sound of the door opening is imprinted on my brain, its a classic. Nice to see a fellow SEGA club member, do you still have your T-shirt and Sonic watch?
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 11:11 PM   #6
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
Nice to see a fellow SEGA club member, do you still have your T-shirt
Hahaha I had the T-shirt! Lost it years back in a move. Probably rags somewhere now.
Old 18th August 2016, 6:02 PM   #7
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Two new Monster Boy gameplay videos released. Sounds like they're narrated by a French Brain (from "Pinky and the Brain").

Music sounds great!

Old 2nd September 2016, 1:34 PM   #8
Atrak

Thumbs up

Hell yes! Definitely looking forward to these, very fond memories of playing both the originals.

Though I think they should have kept that awesome title.. "Monster Boy and the Wizard of Booze"
Atrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 7:28 PM   #9
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrak View Post
Hell yes! Definitely looking forward to these, very fond memories of playing both the originals.

Though I think they should have kept that awesome title.. "Monster Boy and the Wizard of Booze"
Apparently "Wizard of Booze" was the dev title before they got approval to even run with the license. I agree though - it's a much cooler sounding title.
Old 9th September 2016, 10:01 AM   #10
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

A great post from the Lizard Cube guys about the effort that goes into getting the little details right of the up coming Drangon's Trap remake:

http://www.thedragonstrap.com/blog/p...seEngineering/

The lead developer is the same guy who wrote the "MEKA" Sega SG1000/SC3000/MarkIII/MasterSystem emulator. Anyone who's played with that will know the amazing debugging options it offers, and how much original hardware knowledge the developer has. I'm really glad it's someone like him doing this project.
Old 28th September 2016, 11:49 AM   #11
roamin

original wonderboy was the best! i remember that shit on the commodore 64 when i was about 6-7 years old.

wish someone would make a new version of it.

ahhhhhh best tune ever! similar to the old bubble bobble.

Last edited by roamin; 28th September 2016 at 11:51 AM.
roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 11:52 AM   #12
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Old 6th October 2016, 7:58 PM   #13
Grant

So cool that the whole Dragon's Trap remake was possible because some (mega-talented sega-fanatic) French dudes reached out to the original developer and he happily responded - if he was unreachable or less friendly, it wouldn't have had the momentum to be what it is now.

From a software/art preservation point of view though, the geeky documentation of the internals of the original SMS game is worth as much as creating a remake that can be enjoyed by future generations
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 1:52 PM   #14
power

So this is out now? No-one appears to be playing?

Wonder Boy Returns
Old 13th October 2016, 2:02 PM   #15
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
So this is out now? No-one appears to be playing?

Wonder Boy Returns
I saw that video the other day, but can't bring myself to buy it.

I do love the Wonderboy franchise, but the first title really is as simple as gaming gets. I know Dragon's Trap is a literal remake that doesn't change the formula at all, but the source game had enormous depth to it that was eons ahead of 8-bit adventure games at the time. Even Wonderboy II, for all its flaws, was a substantial game.

The first title though, as big and bright as the characters and graphics were, was a "rinse and repeat" job from the first level onwards. That's already a tough starting point. The remake also seems to be of a really low quality, looking more like an ugly, rushed flash game and less like something that was really well thought out and planned.

Part of me wants to support it purely on the principle of the matter, just to bring more attention to remakes of old games and promote others trying this in the future as well. But a bigger part of me feels it'll just be shovelware I'll never play for more than 10 minutes.