Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th October 2016, 4:18 PM   #16
power

How sad, one dude bought it played it and gave it a thumbs down. Also I think he may not remember how WB used to control

Quote:
It could use some fixing. Stage 1-2 doesn't seem to load at all, at least on easy mode, but other stages seemed to work normally. The slipping is pretty bad at parts, and feels like ice physics on dry land, which makes landing on moving platforms tough. The jump arc seems very off, like the character hits his head on an invisible ceiling and sharply drops downward at an acute angle after reaching peak height, instead of the more natural curve from the originals. The game is designed around this, yes, but it feels very strange. Perhaps give an extra option for the high jump, such as doing so only while running. Giving options for reducing graphical and particle effects, such as the light beams in the cave stages, would help with performance issues on weaker computers. The frog enemy could use more inbetween frames in movement as the current animation goes unnaturally fast considering his animation, causing him to be more of a threat than he should be (the bee enemy is a good example of going fairly normal. Perhaps consider studying that as reference?). Overall, not terrible, but as is, needs fixing to be actually "good" and bug-removal as well, such as the stage 1-2 instance, and possibly a tweak of the momentum and jumping physics to be not as awkward. I cannot recommend this game right now as is, but I hope that the dev team can improve the game to where I can.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th October 2016, 7:10 PM   #17
Krumm

I loved wonder boy and played it endlessly on the c64, not having played the arcade version are the boss battles in that steam version like the arcade? The Commodore 64 basically repeated the same boss over and over with different heads and speed increase
Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 10:38 AM   #18
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Monster Boy confirmed for Nintendo Switch:
https://twitter.com/FDG_Games/status/790495122823733248

And some Halloween inspired updates on their dev blog:
https://twitter.com/FDG_Games/status/790495122823733248
Old 28th October 2016, 12:02 PM   #19
Kie

So we don't quite have a release date for the Wonder Boy III remake do we? I'm not that keen on Monster Boy, but really looking forward to playing my favourite SMS game again

Quote:
Originally Posted by newpc View Post
VR seems to give me a head after 10 mins.
Kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 2:15 PM   #20
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kie View Post
So we don't quite have a release date for the Wonder Boy III remake do we? I'm not that keen on Monster Boy, but really looking forward to playing my favourite SMS game again
Nope, no release dates confirmed for either yet. I'm absolutely busting for both though.
Old 28th October 2016, 2:21 PM   #21
hippyhippy

It would be great to play these old games where u can actually save the state. Remember the old days when u turned off the machine u had to start from the beginnibg so unless u had like 8 hours to play.. ud have to cheat to finish it haha ...
hippyhippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 2:25 PM   #22
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post
It would be great to play these old games where u can actually save the state. Remember the old days when u turned off the machine u had to start from the beginnibg so unless u had like 8 hours to play.. ud have to cheat to finish it haha ...
Wonderboy III had password save on all versions. Never forget the classic "WE5T 0NE" save code cheat.

The only downside was the password save only worked in the church in the village, so if you were stuck in some of the longer sections, it was a long trek back. Likewise if you died out on a longer adventure, you lost a bit of time. However it wasn't completely starting from the beginning every time like Wonderboy and Wonderboy II: Monsterland.

I don't like the idea of infinite save states - I think that's too much and would just cause people to use that to make the game too easy. But maybe more regular save points throughout the game (add random churches around the place, or at least just outside the boss dragon dens to save before and after boss battles) would work as a middle ground.

Last edited by elvis; 28th October 2016 at 2:33 PM.
elvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 2:29 PM   #23
hippyhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Wonderboy III had password save on all versions. Never forget the classic "WE5T 0NE" save code cheat.

The only downside was the password save only worked in the church in the village, so if you were stuck in some of the longer sections, it was a long trek back. Likewise if you died out on a longer adventure, you lost a bit of time. However it wasn't completely starting from the beginning every time like Wonderboy and Wonderboy II: Monsterland.

I don't like the idea of infinite save states - I think that's too much and would just cause people to use that to make the game too easy. But maybe more regular save points throughout the game (add random churches around the place) would work as a middle ground.
YES ... that west one cheat brings back memories hahah .. also remember playing mario 2 and 3 from start to end without cheats... used to take ages...
hippyhippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 2:34 PM   #24
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post
YES ... that west one cheat brings back memories hahah .. also remember playing mario 2 and 3 from start to end without cheats... used to take ages...
Haha yeah, and all these kids today complain about Dark Souls difficulty. They'll never know the struggle.
Old 28th October 2016, 3:46 PM   #25
Stooge007

man, this brings back memories

i had an original Sega Master System (the ~ 2' long one, with cartridge and game "cards" that were about the size of a playing card)

played through Dragons Lair, i remember having to hire it a few times in a row from the video shop!!!

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 3:51 PM   #26
Daft_Munt

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
However it wasn't completely starting from the beginning every time like Wonderboy and Wonderboy II: Monsterland.
Wonderboy on the SMS had a cheat were could jump stages/level after completing a level.
Daft_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 3:53 PM   #27
Stooge007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft_Munt View Post
Wonderboy on the SMS had a cheat were could jump stages/level after completing a level.
1,1,2,2,1+2(hold) then use up and down to select levels (iirc)

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 4:51 PM   #28
Daft_Munt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge007 View Post
1,1,2,2,1+2(hold) then use up and down to select levels (iirc)
Thats the one.
Daft_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 12:08 PM   #29
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Both titles confirmed for Nintendo Switch:

https://twitter.com/FDG_Games/status/820184092952170496

http://www.thedragonstrap.com/blog/p...intendoSwitch/
https://twitter.com/lizardcube/statu...79403336929280
Old 10th February 2017, 9:34 AM   #30
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Despite the Master System's musical lackings, I always found the soundtrack to WBIII to be one of the catchiest around, and an all time favourite of mine.

Watching the dev diaries now, and listening to the music they're doing, this is going to be awesome.