OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st August 2016, 7:39 PM   #1
peg Thread Starter

Default ATTN bun lovers! [petition]

Sign and share this.

Last edited by peg; 1st September 2016 at 10:59 AM.
peg is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st August 2016, 9:49 PM   #2
cbb1935

Reads like scaremongering.

When was the last time a change.org petition actually made a change?

Government wouldn't approve it for use/release if there was even the remotest possibility of an impact on domestic pets.

http://www.pestsmart.org.au/rhdv-k5-...ked-questions/
Quote:
Is it safe? (people, pets, wildlife and livestock)?
Yes. No variant of RHDV1 has ever been found to cause infection in any other animal except the European rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus). Even predatory animals that eat rabbits that have died from RHDV1 do not develop an infection.
http://www.pestsmart.org.au/rhdv-k5-...my-pet-rabbit/
Quote:
RHDV1 K5 is a variant of the strain of RHDV1 already used in Australia. RHDV1 K5 is not a new type of virus. There is a vaccine (Cylap®) for prevention of RHDV1 disease that has been available in Australia since 1996.

Prior to registering RHDV1 K5 for use in wild rabbit control, a NSW Department of Primary Industries pilot study through the Invasive Animals CRC examined the vaccine for suitability in protecting domestic and production rabbits from RHDV1 K5. This experiment compared the mortality of a small number of vaccinated and unvaccinated rabbits that were subsequently infected with a high dose of RHDV1 K5.

All of the rabbits vaccinated with the currently available vaccine survived the infection with RHDV1 K5. None of the unvaccinated rabbits survived.

This experiment indicates that the currently registered vaccine will protect pet rabbits against RHDV1 K5.

The Australian Veterinary Association recommends to vaccinate your rabbits against RHDV1 at 10-12 weeks of age and then given an annual booster and health check. Occasionally in the face of an outbreak rabbits may be vaccinated earlier than 10 weeks of age in which case a booster is recommended 4 weeks later. Please consult your local veterinarian for more advice on the preventative measures you can take to avoid your pet or farmed rabbits from being infected with RHDV1.
http://www.ava.com.au/rabbit-calicivirus
Quote:
Vaccination for RHDV2?

A European virus, RHDV2, has recently been discovered in wild and pet rabbits in the ACT and surrounds. It is not known how the virus entered Australia.

RHDV2 can cause death in young kittens (3-4 weeks) and a proportion of vaccinated adults. It is known that the currently available vaccine does not protect all rabbits against disease from RHDV2. While an updated vaccine is being developed for RHDV2 in Europe, a revised vaccination protocol may be warranted, using the vaccine currently available in Australia. The suggested regime is: vaccinate kittens at 4 weeks, then at 8 weeks, and again at 12 weeks or later, followed by yearly vaccinations. For breeding adults, a six monthly booster is recommended.

Note that any benefit of earlier and more frequent vaccination of kittens has to be balanced against the increased likelihood of any adverse event from the vaccine. The suggested off-label regime has not yet been validated in terms of increased protection or risk of adverse events, and feedback from veterinarians would be most welcome while we work to determine the most appropriate way to handle this situation.

Any veterinarian in NSW or ACT who suspects a domestic rabbit may have RHDV2 should submit a fresh frozen 1g liver sample (not formalin-fixed) to the State Diagnostic Veterinary Laboratory at the EMAI. See the August Biosecurity Bulletin link below for further information about submitting samples.

The Invasive Animals CRC is planning to begin assessing the viability of RHDV2 for biocontrol of rabbits in Australia.

Last edited by cbb1935; 31st August 2016 at 9:57 PM.
cbb1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 10:58 AM   #3
peg Thread Starter

Fair post, but much of that reads like government/industry propaganda/spin.

Quote:
What is RHDV K5?
RHDV K5 is a variant of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV1) that causes a fatal haemorrhagic disease in the European rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus). It is specific to the European rabbit, and once a rabbit shows symptoms, death is rapid. There is no treatment or cure for rabbit haemorrhagic disease (RHD); however a vaccine for domestic and production rabbits is available.
Quote:
If it takes 48 hours to kill the rabbit, doesn’t the rabbit suffer during this time?
RHDV is one of the more humane methods of controlling wild rabbits. Basically the rabbits end up with ‘cold-like’ symptoms, become lethargic and then die quickly. Post-infection, there is a rise in body temperature lasting up to 24 hours, followed, in 70–90% of cases, by death up to 48 hours after the onset of a fever (see Humaneness assessment: bait delivery of RHDV). The overall welfare impact prior to death has been assessed as low using the relative humaneness model developed under the Australian Animal Welfare Strategy
Quote:
Animals die from the rapid onset of multiple organ failure. Given the short disease time and the sudden death from rapid organ failure, RHDV continues to be one of the most humane control methods for rabbits.
RHDV - rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus, sounds similar to Ebola virus or worse, in human terms, based on its effectiveness and mortality rate, etc.

"Humane" is relative and contextual. For the sake of argument, lets say that we started using Ebola (which we know causes a horrible painful death) on human populations that society wants rid of, such as lost cause prison inmates. I tend to think it would not pass the humane standards we uphold for our own kind, even for those whom we wish to punish. Perhaps they would of approved its usage in Nazi Germany?

Quote:
RHDV1 K5: What about my pet rabbit?
RHDV1 K5 is a variant of the strain of RHDV1 already used in Australia. RHDV1 K5 is not a new type of virus. There is a vaccine (Cylap®) for prevention of RHDV1 disease that has been available in Australia since 1996.

Prior to registering RHDV1 K5 for use in wild rabbit control, a NSW Department of Primary Industries pilot study through the Invasive Animals CRC examined the vaccine for suitability in protecting domestic and production rabbits from RHDV1 K5. This experiment compared the mortality of a small number of vaccinated and unvaccinated rabbits that were subsequently infected with a high dose of RHDV1 K5.

All of the rabbits vaccinated with the currently available vaccine survived the infection with RHDV1 K5. None of the unvaccinated rabbits survived.

This experiment indicates that the currently registered vaccine will protect pet rabbits against RHDV1 K5.
http://www.pestsmart.org.au/

Quote:
In 1950, after research was conducted by Frank Fenner, myxoma virus was deliberately released into the rabbit population, causing it to drop from an estimated 600 million to around 100 million. Genetic resistance in the remaining rabbits allowed the population to recover to 200–300 million by 1991.

To combat this trend, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) comprehensively tested, over three years from June 1991, the release of calicivirus to cause rabbit haemorrhagic disease (RHD). The virus escaped from a quarantine compound on Wardang Island, South Australia, where field tests were being carried out on the potential of the virus for biological control of wild rabbits, and by late October 1995 it was recorded in rabbits at Yunta and Gum Creek, in northeastern South Australia. By the winter of 1996, the virus was established in Victoria, New South Wales, the Northern Territory and Western Australia. The success of the virus was found to be higher in dry areas, because of a benign calicivirus found in the colder, wetter areas of Australia, which was immunising rabbits against the more virulent form.

A legal vaccine exists in Australia for RHD. There is no cure for either myxomatosis or RHD, and many affected pets are euthanised. In Europe, where rabbits are farmed on a large scale, they are protected against myxomatosis and calicivirus with a genetically modified virus. The vaccine was developed in Spain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbits_in_Australia

Quote:
Dr Alex Rosenwax from Waterloo in Sydney, reports that he has had five unrelated unusual cases of rabbit deaths over the past few weeks. All presented with gastrointestinal stasis and were febrile with anorexia. The signs appeared to be consistent with calicivirus and all died within 6-48 hours, despite intensive treatment. All came from one general area of Sydney, and they had been vaccinated in the past.
http://www.ava.com.au/13312

No vaccination is 100% effective (despite their claims that their likely tiny experimental bunny group all survived post vac.) What if my vaccinated rabbit dies, who's going to compensate me for my loss? Meanwhile it's entirely possible that this expensive band aid fix becomes almost totally ineffective in the next decade or so.

End of the day it's up to the individual to decide whether they support this or not, there are pros and cons to be considered here as with most things. Feral rabbit populations need to be kept in check, no argument there, but personally I question the efficiency, humanity and safety of using this eradication method. Lets keep in the mind the previous strain RHDV1 for the most part was effective for only a decade or so and the other strains (RHVD2) are in fact known to species jump (to hares.)
Old 5th September 2016, 7:58 AM   #4
FerrisXB9R

Would you mind expanding on your initial post? I'm not clicking a random link to "bun lovers" The content could range from baked goods to bums.
Old 5th September 2016, 4:48 PM   #5
timsarg

online petitions are a waste of time
timsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 10:38 AM   #6
peg Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisXB9R View Post
Would you mind expanding on your initial post? I'm not clicking a random link to "bun lovers" The content could range from baked goods to bums.
https://www.change.org/p/we-are-agai...his-happening?

There you go.
Old 10th September 2016, 10:30 AM   #7
Juggs

if it meant irradication of all pest rabbits id gladly accept the consequence a few pets get knocked over too

environment before lifestyle choices
Juggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 2:01 PM   #8
noober69

Domestic foreign species are a luxury not a right. I agree with others, we need to exterminate all the wild rabbits, so if domestic animals get caught up then that is a shame but not a reason to stop protecting our environment.

I have no issue with many pets please understand our environment it more important that your introduced fluffy bunny.

I personally find it ridiculous that rabbits are even offered as pets in Australia. They cannot be let outside for any period of time, meaning these poor creatures sit inside all day.

My kids love their pet rabbits (not my choice) but I am also surrounded by hundreds of wild ones. Bad year for them for some reason.
noober69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 2:25 PM   #9
Sico Music

I agree with the others, this is stupid. Rabbits are a serious pest in Australia and coming from a farming background I've seen the damage the buggers do. Whilst some of the current viruses I have seen first hand (mixo) they aren't effective enough. I've seen mixo take out a whole colony for about a year then a year later the colony is overflowing again with the buggers.

Also looking at the petition page they claim that there are better ways to manage numbers without actually providing any. Viruses are probably the best method, they just have to get a highly effective virus. I can easily proclaim that shooting them is ineffective, I've probably shot 1000's over the years and it's made no serious dent on their populations but does at least keep them out of the sheds for a while.

Pet rabbits shouldn't even be allowed, the rest of the states should take a note from queensland.
Old 17th September 2016, 8:40 AM   #10
Juggs

even if you kill all the wild rabbits

all you need is two domestic rabbits to escape and it all starts again
Juggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 8:56 AM   #11
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sico Music View Post
Pet rabbits shouldn't even be allowed, the rest of the states should take a note from queensland.
They used to be banned here, and then they changed it to allow them.

I really don't know enough about this topic to form a view. There's already a risk to pets from myxomatosis, so any added risk may not make much difference. I agree that farmers' interests take priority here. It's their livelihood. I'd be upset if my pets died of a management disease, but I don't depend on my backyard's vegetation to survive....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote