Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 22nd September 2016, 9:20 PM   #1
havabeer Thread Starter

Default A change of color.... And some mods

The beautiful words of captain hero inspired me that it's time for a change of color, and a bit of an upgrade

So short Time ago my system sat at this:
I5 4690k cpu
Gigabyte soc x97 mobo
2x Titan X (maxwell)
16gug 1866 ram
1000w seasonic psu
Little devil v8 case
2x 360 rads
1x 480 rad
D5 pump

I honestly really liked the orange theme, but the case mods like lighting I just never got right and the orange tube never really popped like I wanted it too as I was originally aiming for a UV build but just never came out like I wanted to

Then another spanner was thrown in the works... The Titan XP, for a silly reason I decided to buy 2... Basically I had a friend who lived in the USA buy two of them and ship them out to me. With her attempt at a sexy photo shoot

So with the new Titans coming I knew it was time for an upgrade so with that a great spend was under way for an upgrade to:
  • I7 5860k cpu
  • As rock x99 killer 3.1 mobo
  • 16 gig 3266 ddr4 ram
  • 2x Titan XP
  • 1200w corsair psu
Keeping basically all the water cooling parts the same other then adding some fill ports

Now a problem arose out of all this, I specifically chose my gigabyte soc mobo as it is basically the only oranges themed available. My new mobo is red, and would look fairly silly in a orange themed mobo. So I decided it was time to convert the whole color scheme of the Build over to red.

A short this of the case changes I wanted to make at the same time as my upgrade:
  • paint mobo tray black
  • Swap out case mesh with something nicer looking
  • Paint other parts red
  • Swap to clear acrylic tubing and Use a red based coolant
  • Use some decent white LED strip lighting to really light up the case

So I got into it, I don't have too many build photos of this stage so will post what I have:

My Titans turned up a while ago and I've had them in the current build just to test what they can do.

In all their glory

First thing once I had them out of the box was to rip the air cooler off and install my new EK blocks

I did manage to do a bit of benching on the cards while in the old system. Will be able to compare this later in the new system. So I bought up a few more parts I thought I'd need and started on the case. This is my first time modding a case so it's all a bit of a (expensive) learning curve

Was never a huge fan of the mesh that is in little devil v8, doesn't really stand out or look anything special.

So I hacked it out with a multi tool

It didn't do as neat of a job as I'd like and wasn't too sure how I'd be reattaching the new mesh as the case is aluminum and I don't have the skills or tools for welding aluminum. Only thing I could come up with is to run some strips around the edges to cover the cuts and attach the new mesh

At the same time I decided to paint the other parts of the case that needed it red. It too me about 4 trips to bunnings to find the right color that will actually be close-ish to the coolant I bought. The display color charts which would match the coolant perfectly came out completely different once you started painting. So I had to just settle on a nice red that is close as I can get.

So I ordered some new honey comb style mesh, I personally think this looks a shit load Better then the rectangle stuff that was there. I'm just unsure if I should paint it red, black, or silver. There isn't a lot of other silver over the whole build other then the water cooling fittings. The black blends in a bit much for my liking. I do like the red but I think it looks a bit dicky on the front. I have some red LED fans going there so once running should look fine

With the rad behind the red it really gives it a nice pop, but as I mentioned looks odd at the front. I also started installing my fill ports, I would have a sold my house for a step drill at that point, bought one other holes that may need drilling.

So that's where I'm at for now, can hopefully get some more done over the next few days. Would love some opinions of what to do about the colors.

Cheers

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 23rd September 2016, 9:25 AM   #2
havabeer Thread Starter

Just a little bit more fiddling today, glued the mesh in place and just getting a feel for how it should all look

Last edited by havabeer; 23rd September 2016 at 2:56 PM.
havabeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 9:26 AM   #3
havabeer Thread Starter

Well for one of those projects of "it'll be done in a week" getting towards the best part of a month later have finally just about finished. after the mobo issue i posted i basically sucked it up and bought another, MSI pro carbon worked perfectly straight out of the box so time to RMA the Asrock killer.

i state this all the time, i'm no photographer, i use my wifes ok-ish point and shoot camera so pics never do it justice

but here's how it turned out:

might be wondering what the 4 angle brackets in the picture below are, after seeing a a feature a few of the newer case's that are coming out with i decided i'd try the same

custom piece of glass as a side cover. it's reflective as hell in the photo's i dunno what to do about that but i think it looks great. a few people tried to tell me to go perspex but it's always looked a bit cheap in my opinion and scratches so easily.

the glass definitely helps to finish off the build. machined up the knobs at work on the lathe. in all it wasn't actually "that" expensive to do, was $150 all up, considering some glass cases run from $175 - $1600 i think its reasonably priced mod

i had originally intended to put another piece of the honeycomb mesh over these fans, but I trialed it and thought it looked a bit "busy" i think if i had of opted for a tinted piece of black glass it would have been fine, but with the clear it just clashes a bit

couple of photo's with the case lighting on, it does come out horrible in the pics but i really like it. it just helps to highlight the chrome fittings and it's on a switch so can be turned off if needed. it does make the coolant look a bit pink in the photo's looks fine in person

the battle station in its entirety.

might try and take a few shots of it in the dark later tonight and see how they turn out. will also post up a few bench marks as well

anyway give me your thoughts/comments

Last edited by havabeer; 18th October 2016 at 5:12 PM.
Old 29th September 2016, 8:04 AM   #4
roamin

coming along nicely by the look of it! good to see another build underway!
roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 8:05 AM   #5
roamin

everyone loves a box licker!

if you dont mind me asking, what did it cost you in the end to import your cards?
roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 2:12 PM   #6
havabeer Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamin View Post
if you dont mind me asking, what did it cost you in the end to import your cards?
Worked out about $1800 a card, I could have save around $120 a card more if my friend lived in a state with out sales tax

Last edited by havabeer; 29th September 2016 at 2:28 PM.
Old 30th September 2016, 12:54 AM   #7
havabeer Thread Starter

So nothing like coming off night shift and being awake at 2am to get some tube runs done

Apologies for iPhone quality photos, Slowly coming together

Old 30th September 2016, 6:47 AM   #8
_slacker_

Looking good there man
Old 30th September 2016, 8:39 AM   #9
mad_mic3

Looks clean as
mad_mic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:10 PM   #10
havabeer Thread Starter

So I've done some playing today and getting close to complete:

So managed to get all the tubing done, really in happy with the cabling going to the GPU's, not too sure what I can do about it though with out going to a custom cable

Also played around with a bit of lighting, decided to go with some led strip lighting, figured white would be the best option to higher light everything rather then red which I could see end up looking tacky

After that it was time to do some filling, having the dual fill ports up top helped, and no leaks is also a plus. Still have some prettying up to do then I'll get some decent photos rather then iPhone ones

Old 5th October 2016, 7:49 PM   #11
havabeer Thread Starter

Had a slight set back last night with the one of the fill port fittings having a small leak, due to a pinched o-ring... And of course it's the one in the hardest spot to try and replace, so a semi drain and a few choice swear words it's back and filled.

Hopefully a Windows install tomorrow to get things up and running.

Considering buying one of evga's power link to fix this stupid problem of the GPU power cables sticking out so far

Old 6th October 2016, 10:05 PM   #12
havabeer Thread Starter

Little bit more tidying up. Just need to get some better photos

Old 7th October 2016, 5:03 PM   #13
VirtualNinja

Those coloured case header cables upset me
VirtualNinja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 8:12 PM   #14
havabeer Thread Starter

Yeah they're the power button switches stupidly enough this case doesn't have any front usb or audio jacks. I may just end up painting them in situ as they're an absolute nightmare to get in and out with the bottom GPU installed, which doesn't come out easy with hard tubing
Old 8th October 2016, 10:39 AM   #15
VirtualNinja

Have you got any MDPC-X floating around?
VirtualNinja is online now   Reply With Quote