Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 26th October 2016, 10:21 PM   #1
SupremeMoFo Thread Starter

Default Medium-small dog suited to a townhouse

Having a bit of trouble finding any two websites that agree on what dogs are suited for large apartments or townhouses.

We've moved to a townhouse - two storeys, around 170sqm inside, with a small concreted courtyard. So there's a reasonable amount of space but no lawn for it. Security wise, the place is fairly close to Fort Knox - a dog could only escape if the front door or back gate/garage door were left open.

What I want -
- medium to large
- not hugely boisterous, wife won't like it
- good with kids without having to be raised around kids
- low shedding
- OK with one long or two shorter walks per day

What I don't want
- the usual shelter breeds. I personally don't like most of them (staffies, greyhounds)
- anything smaller than a beagle
- a watchdog. Had a Cairn Terrier growing up, loved him but oh god the barking!

Any suggestions? Thinking of a labradoodle/groodle, standard Schnauzer or Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier (the latter is fairly boisterous though)

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 26th October 2016, 10:54 PM   #2
oculi

get a cat...
Old 26th October 2016, 10:54 PM   #3
josh_676

Yeah, medium sized dog and no lawn doesn't work well unfortunately .
josh_676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 11:19 PM   #4
callan

A cat would be far better suited to your situation - REALLY.

You MIGHT get away with a Cavalier/King Charles spaniel cross, but although many partisans will disagree you'll need to put in really serious effort to keep a dog happy in your situation IMHO - and you may not succeed.

Sometimes you can't have everything you want, and you've chosen the wrong sort of house for a biggish dog.

Callan

Faith-based morality isn't morality at all. It's obedience.
callan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 11:41 PM   #5
cbb1935

We live in a similar sort of place. Two story freestanding house about the same size (about 200sqm over 2 levels), but we've got about 100sqm of backyard (lawn).

Lawn may be the only possible issue with my suggestion.

What I want -
- medium to large = TICK
- not hugely boisterous, wife won't like it = TICK
- good with kids without having to be raised around kids = TICK
- low shedding = NOT REALLY
- OK with one long or two shorter walks per day = TICK

All dogs will shed, although poodle crossbreeds far less noticable. Problem is you've got to like the button eyed look of poodle crosses. Plus poodles and their crossbreeds get tear stains.

Anyway my suggestion, and it's quite a specific one: Show/English Labrador.

We've got one (so granted I might be a little impartial), but she's exactly what we wanted in a pooch.

We wanted a pooch that we could cuddle, take bushwalking with us, wrestle with, go to dog parks and exercise with, and we both disliked smaller dogs.

Unlike normal field labradors, the show breeds are bigger, stockier, and blocker heads. They look kinda like little cuddly bears

Quiet, relaxed, and really chilled with a beautiful temprament. Older show labs are less boisterious and full of beans, thus perfectly suited to your situation.

Only box they won't tick is low shedding. Twice a year our girl sheds heavily, but it's nothing a fortnightly brush with slicker brush and deshedding spray&brush won't fix. You do get odd fur clouds though.

But if you got a more matures (say 2-3 years or older) show lab, most will be toilet trained, and out of their puppy phase.

Our ones 6 now, but still shows her puppydog side at times.

Only concern I would have is the yard. Larger dogs = larger poos, and with no grass that means poo on concrete! Our dogs happy to laze about / sleep inside, or do her own thing (sleep or amuse herself) with toys in the backyard.

With a small yard, if left outside, some dogs will go stir crazy (happened to a friend of ours).

Our girl gets a walk every few days, or a play in the backyard/dog park every other day.

Downsides:
Shedding (but it's managable)
Snoring (if you can't deal with it, it'll be an issue as they snore LOUD!).
Old 26th October 2016, 11:41 PM   #6
broccoli

I'd go for a small dog. A small dog can still run around a courtyard. A big dog takes 2 strides and has to turn around.

Anyway, my westie would do ok in a smaller place. She is a good girl and she's happy to sit around when you want to. She's not a yapper, unless something's happening.

But it may depend more on the individual dog. They aren't all the same within a breed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 1:07 AM   #7
SupremeMoFo Thread Starter

Fair enough (and thanks for the detailed response cbb).

Cats are not an option. I'm not sure if me or my wife hate them more. Probably her, factoring in that she tends to be allergic to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
I'd go for a small dog. A small dog can still run around a courtyard. A big dog takes 2 strides and has to turn around.

Anyway, my westie would do ok in a smaller place. She is a good girl and she's happy to sit around when you want to. She's not a yapper, unless something's happening.

But it may depend more on the individual dog. They aren't all the same within a breed.
I like miniature schnauzers as well. Was just hoping for something larger. A pair of smaller dogs would be good too.
Old 27th October 2016, 1:35 AM   #8
Beanz

We're looking at a Labradoodle ourselves.

About $2-$2.5k if you get a puppy from a breeder that's part of the Labradoodle association.

Low allergenic and pretty intelligent.

Last edited by Beanz; 27th October 2016 at 1:38 AM.
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 1:50 AM   #9
danyell

No yard for the dog, concrete courtyard. No grass to use for a toilet, the smell of urine and shit on the concrete. And the dog miserable all day whilst you guys are at work.

I think you need to see past your desire and really think hard about having a dog in that environment
danyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 9:00 AM   #10
WJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyell View Post
No yard for the dog, concrete courtyard. No grass to use for a toilet, the smell of urine and shit on the concrete. And the dog miserable all day whilst you guys are at work.

I think you need to see past your desire and really think hard about having a dog in that environment
This.

Also if it's left alone all day it's going to go batshit insane from boredom and bark non stop annoying the surrounding houses which will result in the council getting onto you or the not so happy version...a baited dog.
WJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 9:50 AM   #11
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeMoFo View Post
A pair of smaller dogs would be good too.
When I got my first dog, I was living in a unit. She would be so excited when I got home and I took her straight away for her walk. I got her a "friend" from the orphanage and after that I'd walk in and they'd turn and go "meh" and carry on with what they were doing.

Dogs need company. Another dog during the day gives them that, BUT you need to be very careful to get the right dogs for your home and disciplined in giving them "me" time when you walk in the door.

I (now) have an ENORMOUS backyard. My dog has a lot of space to mess about in (and my former dogs also). Do you know where she is now? Right next to me. Do you know where she usually is? Right next to me.

Space isn't determinative as to whether a dog will be "happy". It needs what it needs, exercise and company and stimulation. You can provide the first by going to the park and beach and around the block. The other two you can provide in a smaller place. If you go out to work, the rest of the time is "dog together time". Having said that, you can't get a working dog and stick it in a courtyard. It wants paddocks. You can't get Usain Bolt and expect him to be happy.

I'd be looking to adopt a pair of dogs who've come from a similar environment. If they are used to your "setup", you won't get issues with a dog not suited to the arrangement telling you so. If you get 2 dogs who aren't happy, you can have some big problems to deal with.

(as for poo and wee, they aren't crapping all day, they'll go once, like us - if they poo on their walk, you pick it up and that's that. A male might mark, but same with wee, they aren't weeing constantly, they'll go when their bladder is full)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 10:35 AM   #12
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeMoFo View Post
Having a bit of trouble finding any two websites that agree on what dogs are suited for large apartments or townhouses.

We've moved to a townhouse - two storeys, around 170sqm inside, with a small concreted courtyard. So there's a reasonable amount of space but no lawn for it. Security wise, the place is fairly close to Fort Knox - a dog could only escape if the front door or back gate/garage door were left open.

What I want -
- medium to large
- not hugely boisterous, wife won't like it
- good with kids without having to be raised around kids
- low shedding
- OK with one long or two shorter walks per day

What I don't want
- the usual shelter breeds. I personally don't like most of them (staffies, greyhounds)
- anything smaller than a beagle
- a watchdog. Had a Cairn Terrier growing up, loved him but oh god the barking!

Any suggestions? Thinking of a labradoodle/groodle, standard Schnauzer or Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier (the latter is fairly boisterous though)
Your townhouse sounds a bit like the one I live in. We have a woman who keeps a medium sized dog that annoys the hell out of other residents due to its loud bark sometimes late at night. I wrote a pet policy for the complex to prevent her from getting another dog when her dog died but she sneakily got another one and a few residents thought it would be wrong to stop her having a dog while other people including myself had cats. It was decided to let her keep the dog and it has since been the subject of multiple complaints about the barking, the urine smell etc. I'm glad my townhouse is far enough away that I don't have to put up with the mongrel dog's barking.

The annual body corporate meeting is today. Here's one of the matters to be discussed:

Quote:
That the Owners Corporation Consider action to be taken regarding the behaviour of the occupants of Lot .., as per signed letter attached (including but not limited to - barking dog and smell, noisy motorcycle(s), false and malicious complaints about other residents, rude gestures and obscenities directed at elderly neighbour watering plants on Common Property etc.).
I can already predict what will happen. The woman's son will rev the shit out of his motorcycle the next morning to say fuck you all for complaining about my mother and my motor bike. The woman will be careful to stop the dog from barking too much because of the threat of council being contacted as has already happened a couple of times. She told the council officer one resident has a vendetta against her when in fact multiple residents hate putting up with her dog's barking, smell etc.

The dog doesn't belong in the complex because it's too big, noisy and it stinks. The woman who owns it is in constant conflict with neighbours. There's a tree outside her townhouse that people have to step around so it was resolved to have it trimmed and she refused to allow the tree service guy to do it. It's now been resolved to cut the tree down but for the tree guy to be able to do it a group of us are going to have to hold the bitch back while the tree guy cuts it down and then she'll have us up for assault!
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 11:48 AM   #13
WJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
The woman will be careful to stop the dog from barking too much because of the threat of council being contacted as has already happened a couple of times. She told the council officer one resident has a vendetta against her when in fact multiple residents hate putting up with her dog's barking, smell etc.
If you're lucky she might do something about the barking but in my experience councils have no teeth and no desire to enforce their own policies. In our case the wankers with the nuisance dogs were only allowed 1 dog because of the size of the unit and block and they had the gall to apply for a special permit to keep additional dogs which the council was only too happy to issue despite getting complaints about the barking.

We moved out in the end, no doubt their useless mutts are still barking 24/7
WJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 12:24 PM   #14
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyell View Post

as hard and harsh as this sounds I agree with this post - I also agree with get a cat, they are perfect for unit and townhouse living.
Old 27th October 2016, 4:00 PM   #15
cbb1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJR View Post
This.

Also if it's left alone all day it's going to go batshit insane from boredom and bark non stop annoying the surrounding houses which will result in the council getting onto you or the not so happy version...a baited dog.
Not all dogs are like this. Our girl is happy to sleep outside on her bed, or plays in the backyard with her toys when we are at work (we have CCTV on her so can see/hear her barking).

She prefers human company to other dogs company, the only except being when she goes back to the original breeder she lived at for most of her life (before we got her), where she frollocks around fields with other poochs.

On the flipside our neighbours moved from a larger property to a place with a backyard half our size. Their lab ended up going stir crazy and became aggressive towards them (and their inside dog).

So very much depends on the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
It was decided to let her keep the dog and it has since been the subject of multiple complaints about the barking, the urine smell etc. I'm glad my townhouse is far enough away that I don't have to put up with the mongrel dog's barking.
Blame the owner not the dog. The dog can't bathe itself, and you'll probably find her unit is a pigsty with urine and faeces all over the place.

Some slobs are like that.

But in a NORMAL family, with a CARING owner, you shouldn't be able to smell a dog even lives there (aside from the odd poo done during the day which isn't cleaned up yet).