Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 27th October 2016, 5:07 PM   #16
Hetty

Default Medium-large dog suited to a townhouse

Why don't you go to a dog show and check out all the breeds and see what you like? If you talk to the breeders they'll tell you if their breed is suitable for your situation. You can also get a feel for what is yappy. I would look at Bedlington Terriers for your requirements. Have a google, they do look funny with the show cut, especially their ears, but you'll get the idea. They can be a bit boisterous though. So can most dogs... especially puppies. I thought "greyhound" when I stared reading but I see you're not keen.

Just be wary with all those poodle crosses - they're not guaranteed to take after the poodle side and not shed.

Last edited by Hetty; 27th October 2016 at 5:11 PM.
Hetty is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 27th October 2016, 5:56 PM   #17
SupremeMoFo Thread Starter

Changed title to medium-small

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
We're looking at a Labradoodle ourselves.
About $2-$2.5k if you get a puppy from a breeder that's part of the Labradoodle association.
Low allergenic and pretty intelligent.
Would be good, but that's a pricey puppy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyell View Post
No yard for the dog, concrete courtyard. No grass to use for a toilet, the smell of urine and shit on the concrete. And the dog miserable all day whilst you guys are at work.
I think you need to see past your desire and really think hard about having a dog in that environment
I work Friday, Saturday, Sunday and study full time otherwise (contact hours are fairly low). My wife works full time. There's someone here most of the time. That'll be the case for the next 2 years at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJR View Post
Also if it's left alone all day it's going to go batshit insane from boredom and bark non stop annoying the surrounding houses which will result in the council getting onto you or the not so happy version...a baited dog.
That's why I don't want a watchdog. I've had a watchdog before and it was OK in a rural area where we didn't have to control it, but it was annoying when we moved to an urban area (when the dog was aged 7).

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
When I got my first dog, I was living in a unit. She would be so excited when I got home and I took her straight away for her walk. I got her a "friend" from the orphanage and after that I'd walk in and they'd turn and go "meh" and carry on with what they were doing.
Dogs need company. Another dog during the day gives them that, BUT you need to be very careful to get the right dogs for your home and disciplined in giving them "me" time when you walk in the door.
I (now) have an ENORMOUS backyard. My dog has a lot of space to mess about in (and my former dogs also). Do you know where she is now? Right next to me. Do you know where she usually is? Right next to me.
Space isn't determinative as to whether a dog will be "happy". It needs what it needs, exercise and company and stimulation. You can provide the first by going to the park and beach and around the block. The other two you can provide in a smaller place. If you go out to work, the rest of the time is "dog together time". Having said that, you can't get a working dog and stick it in a courtyard. It wants paddocks. You can't get Usain Bolt and expect him to be happy.
I'd be looking to adopt a pair of dogs who've come from a similar environment. If they are used to your "setup", you won't get issues with a dog not suited to the arrangement telling you so. If you get 2 dogs who aren't happy, you can have some big problems to deal with.
Good advice, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
Your townhouse sounds a bit like the one I live in. We have a woman who keeps a medium sized dog that annoys the hell out of other residents due to its loud bark sometimes late at night. I wrote a pet policy for the complex to prevent her from getting another dog when her dog died but she sneakily got another one and a few residents thought it would be wrong to stop her having a dog while other people including myself had cats. It was decided to let her keep the dog and it has since been the subject of multiple complaints about the barking, the urine smell etc. I'm glad my townhouse is far enough away that I don't have to put up with the mongrel dog's barking.
It's torrens title - not community or strata. I don't want to be the neighbour from hell and I don't want to put up with a barking dog myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
as hard and harsh as this sounds I agree with this post - I also agree with get a cat, they are perfect for unit and townhouse living.
Cats are not for us. Have never met one I'd be happy having as a pet and my wife doesn't like them or trust them.

Last edited by SupremeMoFo; 27th October 2016 at 6:27 PM.
SupremeMoFo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 9:15 PM   #18
scips

If you didnt dislike the greys they tick all your other boxes and would suit your environment.
scips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 9:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scips View Post
If you didnt dislike the greys they tick all your other boxes and would suit your environment.
I should probably go hang out with some more greyhounds before saying outright no to them.
Old 27th October 2016, 9:46 PM   #20
cbb1935

It's going to highly depend too what sort of dogs you like the look of.

Even without a backyard (depending on size of courtyard), a Lab would deal okay (though might get more hotspots if they lay on concrete all the time).

Another thing to remember is in summer concrete can get very hot and burn little pooches pads on their feet.

Our Lab prefers to spend time inside when we are here, and if you have parks nearby, or dog parks not far away, that's your area to give them some exercise.

Remember dogs sleep far more than us humans do *jealous*
Old 28th October 2016, 12:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb1935 View Post
Even without a backyard (depending on size of courtyard), a Lab would deal okay (though might get more hotspots if they lay on concrete all the time).
Another thing to remember is in summer concrete can get very hot and burn little pooches pads on their feet.
Our Lab prefers to spend time inside when we are here, and if you have parks nearby, or dog parks not far away, that's your area to give them some exercise.
Remember dogs sleep far more than us humans do *jealous*
Covered on both points - there's a pergola covering part of the courtyard which is permanently shaded, and there's a fenced dog park in our suburb (and another 3 in surrounding suburbs) where dogs can be off leash at any time as well as several kilometres of trails that are off the street which start within 100m of our front door.

Last edited by SupremeMoFo; 28th October 2016 at 12:42 AM.
SupremeMoFo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 12:59 AM   #22
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeMoFo View Post
I should probably go hang out with some more greyhounds before saying outright no to them.
Also whippets. I didn't suggest them before because you said you didn't like greyhounds, but they are super little dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 10:50 AM   #23
sanjay

greyhounds are the best. find a small female ex-racer from GRSA's adoption program. they dont need much exercise and would much rather be lazy on the couch than running around in a big back yard.
Old 28th October 2016, 3:03 PM   #24

Would prefer a greyhound over a whippet. Alright, I'll look more seriously into the greyhounds and adoption
Old 28th October 2016, 3:29 PM   #25
broccoli

Quote:
Would prefer a greyhound over a whippet. Alright, I'll look more seriously into the greyhounds and adoption
The greyhound adoption people seem to be quite active in the community. They are often up at Pet Stock. Do you have that near you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 3:38 PM   #26
sanjay

Quote:
i am biased given i act for GRV here in victoria and have seen some pretty horrible things that trainers do to their dogs (not to mention the animals used for live bait) every greyhound saved by adoption is a small victory for the species, in my view.

i am moving heaven and earth to try and buy a place (try getting a rental with a dog) so i can adopt one for myself.