Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 5th November 2016, 6:44 PM   #1
holdennutta Thread Starter

Default HN's Betta and Friends Aquarium Log

Original Title was:
Just got given a Betta as a gift

...Animals as surprise gifts really strike me the wrong way. Potentially unfair on the animal and the recipient. But anyway - we now have this Betta, which looks quite cool actually but I think the tank is probably way too small?

I'd like to look after it properly!

I've had a read of the OCAU wiki as a start but can anyone lend me some good tips in caring for this little dude?

Maybe a better tank that's suitable without breaking the bank.

I have learned Betta Males aren't great with other Males but can they be social with other species? If so I'd probably go a slightly larger tank than for a single Betta as adding a few others would be nice. But if it's likely to be an issue then probably just looking for a tank suitable for a sole fish.

Ta

Last edited by holdennutta; 20th November 2016 at 7:39 PM.
holdennutta is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th November 2016, 8:20 PM   #2
broccoli

Get this. http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/blu...l-black-p-9247

I had each of my boys in one, they were ok in there. They won't get on with anyone and the tank's too small for anyone else (I did have an apple snail in with mine, they got on ok, but I decided they were better off on their own.) You'll need a heater. 25W, no bigger. They like it quite warm.

Get him Hikari betta pellets and feed the teeniest tiniest little bit (like a couple of pellets).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.

Last edited by broccoli; 5th November 2016 at 8:22 PM.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 2:48 PM   #3
luke o

I used to have a big tropical fish tank. As noted if your are not living at the very top of Queensland in the actual tropics then you will need a tank heater or he'll die in winter.

They are ok in tanks with other fish, so long as they are the only Betta (or Siamese Fighting Fish but that terms gone out of fashion). Don't get teeny tiny fish or he'll think they are food and bite their tails off. Any fish about 3/4 his size or bigger will be tolerated rather than eaten.
luke o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 4:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up going full retard and getting an Aquamanta VF38 tank, heater, some more gravel and a thermometer.

I'd like to add a few other fishes in future so the added capacity is good for that and the shop guy said that managing the quality of water in slightly larger aquariums is easier as changes happen more slowly.

Gotta go get it set up now
Old 7th November 2016, 10:59 PM   #5

Is 29'c too hot for the little guy?

He backs onto the hottest side of the house unfortunately. Yesterday he seemed pretty stable at 28' with the heater set to 28. Hit 29 today, so I've dropped the heater to 27 in the hope that a lower starting temp will only raise him to 28ish..

Shall see.
Old 7th November 2016, 11:49 PM   #6
broccoli

I think that's a bit high, I think I used to keep mine at around 25/26. He wouldn't like getting cold, but you don't have to cook him ()

EDIT: was the tank he came in heated? If not, bumping the temperature up all at once might stress him a lot, although if he's already in there there's not much you can do about it now.
Quote:
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
Old 8th November 2016, 1:00 AM   #7
Annihilator69

Just remember they breath oxygen via the air, so don't fill the water level in the tank too high.

If they're sick then lower the water level so they don't have to swim so high to get air as they will get tired.

Try not to have sharp objects in there that he can get his tail cut up in and get stuck.
Mine liked sitting on things about 1/2 way down in the tank to chillax sometimes.
Trades List
Annihilator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 8:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
I think that's a bit high, I think I used to keep mine at around 25/26. He wouldn't like getting cold, but you don't have to cook him ()

EDIT: was the tank he came in heated? If not, bumping the temperature up all at once might stress him a lot, although if he's already in there there's not much you can do about it now.
Haha. He seems quite active and tends to gravitate to where the heater is which I thought was odd given it's a little on the warm side already.

Even when we did the fresh water from the cold tap it was higher than 26' so I doubt we're gunna have much luck getting it down that low unless I rig up some kind of cooling. Maybe I could make something out of a PC rad and some tubing

Tank he came in wasn't heated but the old and the new tanks were quite similar in temp when we transferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilator69 View Post
Just remember they breath oxygen via the air, so don't fill the water level in the tank too high.

If they're sick then lower the water level so they don't have to swim so high to get air as they will get tired.

Try not to have sharp objects in there that he can get his tail cut up in and get stuck.
Mine liked sitting on things about 1/2 way down in the tank to chillax sometimes.
We've got the tank up fairly high but there's still heaps of space for snorkelling for air. Good tip on lowering when sick. Makes sense.

We're pretty sparsely populated in the tank so far, we need to get a few more bits and bobs. Will try to make them all as smooth as possible
Old 8th November 2016, 9:02 AM   #9
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdennutta View Post
We're pretty sparsely populated in the tank so far, we need to get a few more bits and bobs. Will try to make them all as smooth as possible
I spent a fortune on silk plants. They looked quite nice for pretend plants and they are soft and floaty, no pokey bits. They are probably still around "somewhere", I'll have a look.
Quote:
Old 8th November 2016, 1:12 PM   #10
leroyxx

Make sure you keep a eye on the water for the next little bit, as quite possible you will get the water fluctuations as per new tank.

I'm glad you got a bigger tank, they will happily live in the larger tanks for a couple of years! Re, other fish - nothing thats known to be nippy, or you'll loose his magnificent fins. They'll need to be fast as well, in case he decides to have a go at them, probably with some kinda hideing decorations in the tank.

Oh, we need a pic too of the new tank!
I run the FOTM Stopped Chimp Challenge Captain 2010/2011/2012 Addicted to Folding Club Member #1458
Folding@Home 90,000,000 Points Milestone Folding@Home Millionaires Club IFOTY 2011/2012
leroyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 1:33 PM   #11
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyxx View Post
Make sure you keep a eye on the water for the next little bit, as quite possible you will get the water fluctuations as per new tank.
I don't think my 20L ever cycled, one fish in 38L is even less likely to produce enough poo to produce sufficient ammonia to do anything in the filter.
Quote:
Old 8th November 2016, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
I spent a fortune on silk plants. They looked quite nice for pretend plants and they are soft and floaty, no pokey bits. They are probably still around "somewhere", I'll have a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyxx View Post

I'm glad you got a bigger tank, they will happily live in the larger tanks for a couple of years! Re, other fish - nothing thats known to be nippy, or you'll loose his magnificent fins. They'll need to be fast as well, in case he decides to have a go at them, probably with some kinda hideing decorations in the tank.

Oh, we need a pic too of the new tank!
Quote:
I don't think my 20L ever cycled, one fish in 38L is even less likely to produce enough poo to produce sufficient ammonia to do anything in the filter.
What's this cycling thing you're talking about? Sounds concerning

I'll look up the silk plant stuff, thanks for the lead.

Pics in the morrow!

I'm going to try and rig up a small fan to blow across the top of the tank to help cool it. Are Bettas likely to jump out if I leave the lid up?
Old 9th November 2016, 8:10 AM   #13
broccoli

Quote:
I'm going to try and rig up a small fan to blow across the top of the tank to help cool it. Are Bettas likely to jump out if I leave the lid up?
I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the temperature is stable. I don't think bettas are jumpers.
Quote:
Old 9th November 2016, 5:39 PM   #14
leroyxx

Quote:
What's this cycling thing you're talking about? Sounds concerning

I'll look up the silk plant stuff, thanks for the lead.

Pics in the morrow!

A tank with nothing in it will eventually cycle with the additive of some fish food or similar. So a tank with a fish in it will cycle. Would pay to look it up, a single betta should be ok in a cycling tank.

Dont think they are much of a jumper, should be right with a open top. I have successfully used a old power supply, rigged up with pc fans attached to it pointed at the surface of the water to cool a tank or three down at the time.
I run the FOTM Stopped Chimp Challenge Captain 2010/2011/2012 Addicted to Folding Club Member #1458
Folding@Home 90,000,000 Points Milestone Folding@Home Millionaires Club IFOTY 2011/2012
leroyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 6:58 PM   #15

I left the lid up today and the temp was about a degree lower than yesterday around 27' so that's nice.

It was probably a coincidence but the little dude seemed like he got excited when I got home from work. Started swimming around the front side of the tank really vigorously haha.

Here's some pics!