Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th November 2016, 8:53 PM   #1
Jlirv Thread Starter

Default Wire strippers for 16-22AWG wires (custom sleeving)

I went mad and I've bought sleeving to start custom sleeving. It'll be an expensive learning experience but for the price of one set I could teach my self how to do it and then sleeve when ever I want.

So anyway. I was wondering if someone could recommend me a stripping tool. These automatic ones look pretty handy. Ensure a consistent strip each time too.

Thoughts?

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th November 2016, 9:10 PM   #2
arcanic_soul

These are the ones I use for electrical control cabinets at work, however they might not be the cheapest, so have also linked a cheaper set.

Weid Muller Stripax

Knipex Wire Stripper

Cheers Fusion
arcanic_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 9:30 PM   #3
Ghoatman

I use Kinchrome/Irwin branded ones at work. Seem to do the job.
Ghoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 10:23 PM   #4
kombiman
Re-Member

I use a version of those ^ that cost $7 best $7 I spent!

Look like this
Old 17th November 2016, 10:42 PM   #5
v81

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanic_soul View Post
These are the ones I use for electrical control cabinets at work, however they might not be the cheapest, so have also linked a cheaper set.

Weid Muller Stripax

Knipex Wire Stripper

Cheers Fusion
Actually after a good stripper myself (both the wire and the female dancer types)
The Knippex unit you linked caught my eye.
Incase the info is handy to anyone else it can be had from Amazon for $20AUD less than locally, postage included.
The Knippex side cutters i got on sale from Element 14 are great, so might be they are a good middle of the road brand?
Anyone with more experience care to comment on the brand?

Trades...(down)
I5-6600K, Z170X-UD3, 2x 950Pro512's, GTX1070, 2x8G Vengeance, HX750i, Kraken x61
v81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 11:01 PM   #6
Matthew kane

I use to have this in my workshop:

https://www.eraser.com/products/wire...pper-medium-2/

Great tool. Have upgraded since.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 9:45 AM   #7
maldotcom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoatman View Post
I've also used these for years, different brand though.
Intel i7 6700K | Asus Z170M-Plus | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | OS: 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Games: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | EVGA Supernova G2 650W | Fractal Node 804 | Custom Water Loop
maldotcom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 2:43 PM   #8
Jlirv Thread Starter

Thanks mate. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll probably pick on up another time once I get a bit better at sleeving overall.

Quote:

Weid Muller Stripax

Knipex Wire Stripper

Cheers Fusion

I picked up some Irwin strippers $35 delivered.

Overall between the tools required and supplies this has been quite the expensive journey lol. Really hope I'm a natural at sleeving lol! That ROI!
Old 9th December 2016, 10:18 PM   #9
mtma

I have used those Weidmuller's, great tool. It can also strip the outer sheath off shielded cable.

Though my usual workhorses are sideys and 4 decade old pair of this type of stripper
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 6:28 PM   #10
Life_Essence

I've been using these every day for about 6 years and they do a brilliant job, they were about $90 when I got them but well worth it.
https://store.snapon.com/Strippers-C...--P634297.aspx

[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #22]
Life_Essence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 7:49 PM   #11
[SweN]

I don't do much sleeving in my line of work, but i'll throw my opinion in.

Quote:

Weid Muller Stripax

Knipex Wire Stripper

Cheers Fusion
these are the ducks nuts. if you are looking to increase your speed and want a perfect repeatable strip, these are the go.

Quote:
Not a fan personally. not great for lefties. really dont like the strip action on these style strippers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_Essence View Post
I've been using these every day for about 6 years and they do a brilliant job, they were about $90 when I got them but well worth it.
https://store.snapon.com/Strippers-C...--P634297.aspx
I have a similar pair. have not used them for years. ok when working perfectly, but have a tendency to gum up and stick, which can result in the blade contacting your freshly stripped strands and making a mess of them. probably not an issue for this project, but when terminating thousands of cables, becomes annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew kane View Post
I use to have this in my workshop:

https://www.eraser.com/products/wire...pper-medium-2/

Great tool. Have upgraded since.
cool product. seems quite slow though.

My picks:
Red Black Panthers by Sterling - If you need to cut things often at work or in the shed, these are the shit. Don't get the black or blue ones, the red are superior. Additionally they have a notch in the blade, and guess what? The best not-actually-a-cable-stripping-tool i've ever used to strip cable. If you are in the field, one less tool to carry.

Parrots Beak style cutters. They will give you an effortless and clean cut, even through thicker HV duble insulation. Many brands make them, but this seems like a pretty good deal. I'm planning on getting a pair to trail, as the more known name brands are quite pricey for such a basic tool.

Both will require you develop a little "feel" for stripping cable, but it will save you a lot of time by not having to change tools in the long run.

Bouns: If you are using a lot of zip ties and want a clean cut that doesn't leave a tab to rip your skin off, flush cutters.

Last edited by [SweN]; 14th December 2016 at 6:52 PM.
[SweN] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 9:37 PM   #12
Life_Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SweN] View Post
I have a similar pair. have not used them for years. ok when working perfectly, but have a tendency to gum up and stick, which can result in the blade contacting your freshly stripped strands and making a mess of them. probably not an issue for this project, but when terminating thousands of cables, becomes annoying.
That's interesting to hear, I assume you mean they don't open up properly after the strip and before the two halves come back together? The only time I've had that problem with these is if I don't depress the handle enough while trying to do it too quickly and this is after tens of thousands of strips. All I've ever had to do to it is adjust the cutters to line up properly a few times times and keep it oiled (A lot of field work so if I don't oil tools they rust quickly).

The only sort of cable it has a lot of trouble with, other than just being the wrong size, is SJOW, SOOW, W-Type etc. cable that has the rubber insulation. It just flat out does not work so I use a knife for that sort of cable.

[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #22]
Life_Essence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 10:05 PM   #13
Aaron_85

Quote:
This. If I'm going to bother using wire strippers over just pliers, the kinchromes are the way to go. Best you'll get without going to expensive ones.

Quote:
Parrots Beak style cutters. They will give you an effortless and clean cut, even through thicker HV duble insulation. Many brands make them, but this seems like a pretty good deal. I'm planning on getting a pair to trail, as the more known name brands are quite pricey for such a basic tool.
Parrot beaks are essential if you start venturing into the larger cables.

Quote:
Bouns: If you are using a lot of zip ties and want a clean cut that doesn't leave a tab to rip your skin off, flush cutters.
Flush cut side cutters if you're not a monster and don't want everyone after you to hate you.

Last edited by Aaron_85; 18th December 2016 at 10:09 PM.
Aaron_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 3:59 PM   #14
cbb1935

Recently bought these for stripping back some cables.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/heavy-duty...guide/p/TH1827

Seem to do a pretty decent job for the price.
Old 19th December 2016, 4:08 PM   #15
cvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_Essence View Post
That's interesting to hear, I assume you mean they don't open up properly after the strip and before the two halves come back together? The only time I've had that problem with these is if I don't depress the handle enough while trying to do it too quickly and this is after tens of thousands of strips. All I've ever had to do to it is adjust the cutters to line up properly a few times times and keep it oiled (A lot of field work so if I don't oil tools they rust quickly).
This.

I've had a set I bought like 20 years ago, still work great today.

For really big stuff - bigger than about 10GA, parrots are the go. Takes a bit more skill/care to do without damaging the conductors.
cvidler is offline   Reply With Quote