Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 6th December 2016, 1:58 AM   #1
Raykay Thread Starter

Default Anyone with dogs suffering from Atopic dermatitis?

Hey everyone,

I have a golden lab named Tairen. He'd been diagnosed with atopic dermatitis about 2 years ago and since then, has been recieving regular injections at our local vet.

His skin condition usually worsens significantly around summer time. This year however, it's started early and is also much worse, pretty much as bad as how he was before getting any treatment. He's lost most his hair in his arm pits, and is constantly scratching or biting his legs.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks to minimise these effects?

Are trips to the beach good for his skin? Should I brush his hair more often, should I bath him more often?
Raykay is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 6th December 2016, 4:59 AM   #2
psychobunny

how often are you bathing him?
what do you use when bathing him (which shampoo and conditioner)
whats the injection?
What does he eat?
indoor or outdoor dog?
any confirmed allergies?
what have you tried so far?

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'dô twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.
psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 8:32 AM   #3
Soc

+1 to all of psychobunny's questions

Has the dog donr a food elimination diet trial?
Have you seen a dermatologist to test for what specific triggers the dog is reacting to? That would be my first step. When the dog starts to be that affected then you should really be looking at the next step treatment. Our dog was self traumatising (making his armpits bleed from scratching.

There are a few products you can look into:
Atopica for dogs
Apoquel - New and fairly pricey but very good by all accounts
Antihistamines. So, This is actually Soc's wife typing and I'm a vet nurse, so I have a lot of contact and direction in treatments. My Dog is currently on 2 claratyne daily. Antihistamines aren't as effective in dogs as in people so they often need a higher dose and they need every day, doesn't work as a one off like people. So I started with one tablet daily and have found he's needed more over time. He's also on a hypoallergenic diet (hills Z/D)

So, first things, find out what injection your dog is getting, see what other recommendations your vet has as it doesn't seem to be working at the moment, maybe get a referral to a dermatologist and see what they have to say.

Good luck! Allergies are horrible and it's horrible seeing our fur babies so uncomfortable and upset all the time, so I hope you find something which works for you
Soc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 10:27 AM   #4
Raykay Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
whats the injection?
What does he eat?
indoor or outdoor dog?
any confirmed allergies?
what have you tried so far?

Once a fortnight

Dermcare Malaseb (as recommended by our vet)

whats the injection?
In terms of medication.. Clavubactin 312.5mg tablets. The inection under drug name says "ASIT injectable immunothereapy vaccine"

I believe he was/is receiving Cortisone steroid injections.

What does he eat?

He eats Hills Sensitive Skin food.

indoor or outdoor dog?
He is both indoor and outdoor. Indoor when there's people in the house, outdoor when we are all out.

any confirmed allergies?

He has a fair few confirmed allergies tested my the dermatologist. He has strong reactions with Olive, Cockroach, T. Putrescentiae and D. Farinae.

He was diagnosed with Atopic Dermatitis in 2014 (when he was two)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc View Post
+1 to all of psychobunny's questions

Has the dog donr a food elimination diet trial?
Have you seen a dermatologist to test for what specific triggers the dog is reacting to? That would be my first step. When the dog starts to be that affected then you should really be looking at the next step treatment. Our dog was self traumatising (making his armpits bleed from scratching.

There are a few products you can look into:
Atopica for dogs
Antihistamines. So, This is actually Soc's wife typing and I'm a vet nurse, so I have a lot of contact and direction in treatments. My Dog is currently on 2 claratyne daily. Antihistamines aren't as effective in dogs as in people so they often need a higher dose and they need every day, doesn't work as a one off like people. So I started with one tablet daily and have found he's needed more over time. He's also on a hypoallergenic diet (hills Z/D)

So, first things, find out what injection your dog is getting, see what other recommendations your vet has as it doesn't seem to be working at the moment, maybe get a referral to a dermatologist and see what they have to say.

Good luck! Allergies are horrible and it's horrible seeing our fur babies so uncomfortable and upset all the time, so I hope you find something which works for you
Cheers buddy, will speak to the vet about the things you've mentioned! It's really upsetting sometimes!
Old 6th December 2016, 10:32 AM   #5
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raykay View Post
His skin condition usually worsens significantly around summer time.
My dog doesn't have this, but if something bites her, she overdoes the licking, scratching. When the fleas spring to life in the garden in springtime is when she might start the scratching. I use Capstar in addition to her spot-on flea stuff. It kills any fleas that get on her that'll set her off. Fleas might be contributing to the seasonal aspect as well as her underlying disorder. If she really "gets going" mauling herself/feet, she gets some steroids, and some antihistamines which settles down whatever is annoying her.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...ermatitis.html

As suggested, I'd definitely get her further assessed for what sets her off and specific directed treatment.

As for the beach, I don't know what it would do for her skin, but the time she's there running about and having fun is time she can't be chomping on her itchy bits, so I'd give it a go. Any distraction from getting stuck into the licking and chomping is a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 10:39 AM   #6
psychobunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc View Post
Our boy just started up on this stuff, and i can confirm its expensive. Whats worse is that our insurance has excluded him for ALL skin conditions because when we first got him the vet indicated possible puppy acne or dermatitus.

If thats excluded then why dont i get a discount on the premium?

Always on this or something else before? lots of crap potential allergens in it
Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Meal, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Flaxseed, Chicken Liver Flavor, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Iodized Salt, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, L-Tryptophan, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Mixed Tocopherols (a preservative), Citric Acid (a preservative), Taurine, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-carotene, Rosemary Extract.

I would seriously consider a 6 week trial of SKD200 croc just to rule out anything being caused by food that then get aggrevated by the weather/pollen maybe discuss this with your vet; if they are selling you the hills food then they may have a conflict of interest too

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'dô twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.

Last edited by psychobunny; 6th December 2016 at 10:50 AM.
psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 11:32 AM   #7
Raykay Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
My dog doesn't have this, but if something bites her, she overdoes the licking, scratching. When the fleas spring to life in the garden in springtime is when she might start the scratching. I use Capstar in addition to her spot-on flea stuff. It kills any fleas that get on her that'll set her off. Fleas might be contributing to the seasonal aspect as well as her underlying disorder. If she really "gets going" mauling herself/feet, she gets some steroids, and some antihistamines which settles down whatever is annoying her.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...ermatitis.html

As suggested, I'd definitely get her further assessed for what sets her off and specific directed treatment.

As for the beach, I don't know what it would do for her skin, but the time she's there running about and having fun is time she can't be chomping on her itchy bits, so I'd give it a go. Any distraction from getting stuck into the licking and chomping is a good thing.
yeah we've been careful with the sterioids, we only used it as a last resort. And you're absolutely right, when he's going for a walk, or at the beach, he never seems to scratch. Will look into capstar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Our boy just started up on this stuff, and i can confirm its expensive. Whats worse is that our insurance has excluded him for ALL skin conditions because when we first got him the vet indicated possible puppy acne or dermatitus.

If thats excluded then why dont i get a discount on the premium?

Always on this or something else before? lots of crap potential allergens in it
Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Meal, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Flaxseed, Chicken Liver Flavor, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Iodized Salt, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, L-Tryptophan, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Mixed Tocopherols (a preservative), Citric Acid (a preservative), Taurine, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-carotene, Rosemary Extract.

I would seriously consider a 6 week trial of SKD200 croc just to rule out anything being caused by food that then get aggrevated by the weather/pollen maybe discuss this with your vet; if they are selling you the hills food then they may have a conflict of interest too
That's exactly the same situation as us. He's excluded from all skin related claims, these injections are close to $1200 per year as well (depending on dosage)!

Nah the vet didn't specify Hills for us, it was actually on sale and it we saw the skin sensitivity thing and thought it might be worth a shot. We've recently switched from Hills advanced fitness. I think we'll see how the Hills goes this month, then next month I'll give the SKD200 a go.