Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st December 2016, 12:41 PM   #1
headin2001 Thread Starter

Default Kaby Lake/Skylake Overclocking, Info, Delid Guide and Owners thread.

Hello OCAU, and welcome to the Kaby Lake/Skylake Overclocking, Info and Owners thread.

I decided to start this thread as a bit of a knowledge base for anyone looking to Overclock any of these CPU's and to share what info we have with the community. Contained below, I would like us to share our experience, and some tips along the way to have everyone using and abusing these processors to their fullest.

Also, because I can already see that Kaby Lake will appeal more to the overclockers than the previous Haswell, DC and Slyake processors, because they actually clock well

Please keep the thread clean of too much crap so it's easy for people to navigate. Anything not related or non-productive will be reported and removed.

Info will be limited for the next week until the NDA lifts, so please check back later. Just getting it going before hand for HYPE!!!!

Current info/Review Links (all pre-release)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,4836-2.html

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/...k#.WGcFyxt96Uk

http://www.eteknix.com/intel-core-i7...cessor-review/

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/99...4nm-kaby-lake/

Board Announcements

Asus Lineup - http://videocardz.com/65308/asus-ann...s-motherboards

Others - http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/int...si-leaked.html

Last edited by headin2001; 3rd January 2017 at 12:38 PM.
headin2001 is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st December 2016, 12:42 PM   #2

OC Guide

Asus Guide Here - http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide

Last edited by headin2001; 1st February 2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 31st December 2016, 12:43 PM   #3

Owners List / Results

Please provide a screenshot of your OC results.

Format example for adding:
User Name - CPU Model - Batch # - Stock Vid - Motherboard - Ram - CPU/Cache OC - Voltage - Bench or 24/7

headin2001 - 6700k - LxxxCxxx - 1.2v - Asrock Z170M OC Formula - Zadak 3200C16 - 4200/4100 - 1.2v - Realbench

For Benchmark only Results, please verify using Geekbench 3. (Sample Screenshot to come)

For 24/7, please use Realbench for 1 Hour. Screenshot with CPUz CPU and Memory Tab, Realbench completed, and CPUid HWMonitor open for temperatures (Sample SS to come)

If you have an ambient temperature reading, please add for reference.

Bench Stable

headin2001 - 7700k - L637F698 - 1.2vid - Asrock Z170M OC Formula - Galax OC LAB 4000C19 - 5200/4500 - 1.4v Bios - Geekbench

wastegate - 7600k - L639F883 - 1.12v - Gigabyte Z270MX Gaming 5 - Corsair Vengeance LED 3200C16R - 4800/4100 - 1.28v - Aida64 35minutes Geekbench Result

AstinGC90 - 7700k - L637F711 - 1.2vid - Gigabyte Z270X-G5 - Corsair Vengeance 3200C16 - 5200/4500 - 1.41v Bios - Geekbench

24/7 Stable

glnn_23 - 7700k - L639F976 - 1.21v ? - Asus Max VIII Ranger - G.Skill 3600C15 - 5100/4500 - 1.325v(in bios) - Realbench - Link

Last edited by headin2001; 20th March 2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 31st December 2016, 12:45 PM   #4

Delid Guide

As you are all aware, Skylake and the new Kaby Lake processors share the same flaws as their older siblings in the Haswell line. This being either a poor quality TIM used between the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), a poor application of it, or potentially both.

Over the past years, there has been much discussion of what we call "Delidding" a processor. The purpose of this is to remove the putty like paste that lies between the IHS and the CPU die.

For this, there are many different methods people have employed over the years. Some very simple, some quite safe, and others, well, there no other word for it other than barbaric. This brings me to my small guide.

There are basically 4 different ways to remove the IHS on these CPU's.

1. Vice Only Method (Fairly Safe Method)

For this, the process is quite simple. Basically, you use a small bench vice and add some tape to protect the CPU to the Clamps. We then sit the processor into the vice, with one side of the vice touching the PCB of the CPU, and the other side sitting on the edge of the IHS (I would also suggest sitting some cloth like a tea towel under the clamps so if the CPU falls, it has some padding instead of hard steel to land on). This will have the CPU sitting at a slight angle. When you apply the pressure from the Vice slowly, this will work to separate the IHS across the CPU PCB.

Youtube video for reference (not my work, credits to the owner)

2. Vice and Hammer Method (Works, but would not suggest trying)

I wont go into this one much, and let this crazy drivers video show how to do it. I will say it's not for the fainthearted, and only really for those that have a need for hitting things and can afford a new CPU if they miss and crush the PCB.

3. Razor Method (Not as safe as Vice only)

This method is the only way to delid without a vice or delid tool.

What you need is a thin Razor Blade. I like to use those double sided Stanley ones, but other thin blades will work fine. For the double sided ones, I like to put a bit of electrical tape on the side I'm not using to save slicing my fingers open.

The process involves using the blade to cut the silicone layer between the IHS and the PCB. It takes a fairly steady hand, and contains a risk of nicking the PCB which may or may not damage the function of the CPU. So take care.

When starting, it is easiest to start in a corner using only pressure to cut in. If you slide from side to side like you are cutting a steak, you will likely find yourself scratching the top layer of the PCB. Once you are just through the sealant (about 4-5mm in) you can start to angle the blade along the edge more, trying to keep it as flat as possible to the PCB. Keep working around until you are all the way around.

This Video shows the process simply.

4. Delid Tools

The last and best method is by using a tool designed for the job.

Some to look at:

Rockit 88 - http://rockitcool.myshopify.com/
3d Printable - https://www.youmagine.com/designs/skylake-delid-tool
Der8auer Delid Die Mate - https://www.caseking.de/der8auer-del...-fsd8-015.html

The 3d printed one I have printed twice, one failed and one worked well after a small about of cleaning up. So for those that want to have a go themselves, it's not too bad. You will still need a vice for the actual delidding after.

My video of it in action -

The Der8auer Delid Die Mate is my favourite though. Well worth it for anyone planning on doing multiple CPU's. This works like the Vice Method, but in one multi purpose tool. You can delid from Ivy Bridge to Kaby Lake with this one tool, and it also has the guide to reseal built into it.

Delid Pictures of Kaby

I took the Tool approach and used the Delid Die Mate for my 7700k Delid. So easy, little stress and only took about 2 minutes.

With the lid off, you can see why the temps on these is quite high compared to Skylake. Mostly, it appears on this CPU that the paste was quite thick, meaning the contact between the IHS and the Die isn't as good as it could be. Some maybe better, some maybe worse, but it seems that we may see the same effects as Ivy Bridge on this generation, but only more samples will show for certain.

Some people chose to leave the Sealant in place to protect the PCB, where others remove gently with their fingernails or old card. I will be trying both out on this one, so will leave on for now.

Temp Results - More to be added

All testing done on Asrock Z170M OC Formula.

CPU is tested at stock, and overclocked. Room ambient is +/- 30deg and results have been delta adjusted.

The Cooling system consists of:
1x D5 non-vario Liang pump
3/140x45 Alphacool XT45 Radiator
3x Bitfenix Spectre Pro Fans at 7v
EK Supremacy Evo Waterblock
1/2in Flexible tubing

Before Delid, I used Cooler Master Maker Gel Nano on-top of IHS. After Delid, the same paste and amount is also used for comparison.

Voltages, fan speed, memory settings all set the same between runs. Highest Temperature from 3 runs are recorded.

I will endeavour to add more results when they are available with different pastes under the IHS and between the IHS and Waterblock.

http://i.imgur.com/vIQg74g.png

http://i.imgur.com/EGBHMwm.png

http://i.imgur.com/hRyf7GA.png

http://i.imgur.com/GzQf4vh.png

http://i.imgur.com/vlQ3P9B.png

Change Log
08-01-17 - Updated Graphs with Conductanaut results.

Last edited by headin2001; 8th January 2017 at 9:00 PM.
Old 31st December 2016, 2:09 PM   #5
wraith.50

Excellent thread with some great info.

Do you have any idea when 7700K Kabylake cpus will be available here ?

I have seen on other forums that certain stores in other parts of the world, have already been selling them for the last couple of weeks.
wraith.50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 10:11 AM   #6

Not sure on the retail release here. Heard mutterings of after the 6th though, but all rumours.
Old 2nd January 2017, 9:27 PM   #7
AbRASiON

One of the other threads, someone claimed it was very very early January and they'd heard it from an actual retailer who heard it from the supplier.
I get the impression they are launched at CES and I am guessing (?) the parts are actually widely distributed around to suppliers already.

Might be wrong.

I wonder how long they'll be price gouged for?
AbRASiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 1:46 PM   #8
Myne_h

Hah!

Nice "Photo" you have there.

Something doesn't quite seem right about the type and sspec though.
Old 3rd January 2017, 1:51 PM   #9
zeropluszero

Did someone say nudes?
Old 3rd January 2017, 2:42 PM   #10
cbwolf

Well they're getting officially anounced at CES tomorrow. I expect the retailers either already have them in stock, or they are in transit.

I would guestimate availability in Australia next week
Old 3rd January 2017, 3:02 PM   #11
AbRASiON

We got any retailers on OCAU who can let us know how much we're gonna get gouged for the first month?
Old 3rd January 2017, 3:15 PM   #12
ipv6ready

^^ perfect way to ask the question.

Mind me asking retailers what the launch premium would be?
And are you expecting a big demand considering Ryzen?

For sale in WTS thread. U28D590D, MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II, i7-3770k, Swiftech H240-X, Gigabyte G1 GTX970, G.Skill 32mb 1600, 2 x LSi 9261 (one with BBU), 8 x 1TB WB Black HDD, Seasonic 660w Platinum,
ipv6ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 4:15 PM   #13
Frag_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbRASiON View Post
We got any retailers on OCAU who can let us know how much we're gonna get gouged for the first month?
I can tell you they cost is basically the same as 6th Gen
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7|i7 7700K|Corsair 16GB 3200 DDR4|MSI Gaming X GTX1070|Asus Xonar STX|Samsung 120GB, 2 x 250GB SSD, Crucial 500GB SSD|WD 3TB| Seasonic X850W|Corsair 600C|Corsair Strafe RGB|Logitech G502|Acer XB271HU|Custom sleeving|Custom water loop|
Trades List
Frag_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 5:57 PM   #14
AbRASiON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frag_Lord View Post
I can tell you they cost is basically the same as 6th Gen
I've heard at least 2 people claiming it'll be $20 US more expensive on the CPU's - and the boards (when new) are generally gouged too :/
Old 3rd January 2017, 8:42 PM   #15
Frag_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbRASiON View Post
I've heard at least 2 people claiming it'll be $20 US more expensive on the CPU's - and the boards (when new) are generally gouged too :/
I looked at our pricing and it was identical to 6th gen, so no idea where they are getting that from. Interms of Z270 board pricing, I don't think its crazy pricey.
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7|i7 7700K|Corsair 16GB 3200 DDR4|MSI Gaming X GTX1070|Asus Xonar STX|Samsung 120GB, 2 x 250GB SSD, Crucial 500GB SSD|WD 3TB| Seasonic X850W|Corsair 600C|Corsair Strafe RGB|Logitech G502|Acer XB271HU|Custom sleeving|Custom water loop|
Trades List

Last edited by Frag_Lord; 3rd January 2017 at 9:06 PM.
Frag_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote