Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 8th March 2017, 9:53 PM   #526
nCrypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbwolf View Post
My experience with Asus boards is that they can be really sensitive to running XMP ram profiles and definitely require VCCSA and VCCIO voltage bumps. A 1.1v IO and 1.15v SA is going to be too low to run your ram at 3200.

Jump to 1.2 IO and 1.25 SA and see if that gives you stability. If it does, work the voltages down slowly from there until you hit instability again and then bump it up a notch.

Oh, also update your BIOS if it's not latest version. I found XMP to be much more stable and require less voltage on my Strix z270E board after a bios update

Ye updated to latest bios before i started to clocking.

Not using xmp..all mems set manually.

More tweakin
nCrypt is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th March 2017, 9:56 PM   #527
Supersize

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbwolf View Post
My experience with Asus boards is that they can be really sensitive to running XMP ram profiles and definitely require VCCSA and VCCIO voltage bumps. A 1.1v IO and 1.15v SA is going to be too low to run your ram at 3200.

Jump to 1.2 IO and 1.25 SA and see if that gives you stability. If it does, work the voltages down slowly from there until you hit instability again and then bump it up a notch.

Oh, also update your BIOS if it's not latest version. I found XMP to be much more stable and require less voltage on my Strix z270E board after a bios update
My 2800Mhz requires a VCCSA of 1.135v to stay stable.
In Raja's OC guide he has a rough guideline on Ram speeds and needed VCCSA/VCCIO.
Supersize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 12:17 AM   #528
hYpz0r

Currently testing 2 similar 7700k setups. Both running corsair h105s at stock clocks. One hits around 72ish full load, the other up to 87ish. Have reseated cooler changed to as5 etc and still getting the same results. Is there really that much variance in temperature between chips?
Old 9th March 2017, 3:56 AM   #529
Ratzz

I never actually tried stressing my chip at stock clocks..
I did read that 20% of 7700K's are booting 5GHz@1.29v, I know mine wouldn't without 1.34v. Well that's not quite true.. it did boot at 1.29v the very first time I tried.. but I was never able to repeat this miracle

I use a custom loop, D5 and EX280, which are currently only cooling the CPU via an el cheapo OCool block. That all changes tomorrow, new Raystorm Pro arrived today and new 1080 Extreme Waterforce WB in the morning

Without delidding, I was struggling to get 5.1GHz. Temps were in the high 80's, low 90's, using the 1.47v I needed to get there. I think I even saw a couple of 100's, but no throttling.

Since delidding, using NTH1, I've managed to get those temps down, at the same settings, to low 70's, low 80's. I also managed a run at 51x101, my best yet on that chip at that point.

So here's the thing.. IMHO. Kaby doesn't like to be hot. Never mind when it throttles, the hotter it gets, the less capable it it. At least, I believe that to be the case with my own chip.

I've just delidded again and applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. You'll have seen a lot of people espouse the stuff in here, I was one of the doubters but couldn't ignore popular opinion.

With each temperature improvement, the overclock improved. Now, with the Conductonaut, and I say this in capitals I AM A CONVERT... and much lower temps, I'm also getting better numbers at lower volts. 5GHz now only needs 1.3v. I can get 5.1 with 1.41v.

Personally, I know there are better 7700K's out there, but this is my first ever 5.2GHz chip and I'm loving it. I tried some multithreaded video conversions using the displayed settings too, it didn't miss a beat.

I'm still learning the chip, and the incredibly shitty MSI BIOS, but just for an example.. all details are visible on the screen. I've done nothing more to the chip than lift both SA and IO to 1.2, and apply 1.47v @ 52x100. Temps after 10 minutes of AIDA64 stress testing range from 58 to 63 MAX across all cores, but mostly in the first minute, after which all cores settled into the mid 50's and stayed there..

Click to view full size!

EDIT: I'm not sure if I changed a setting at some point, but I couldn't make this pic full size. Disabling image resizing fixes the problem, obvious I know, but sometimes the obvious isn't as obvious as it obviously should be.. just in case you also miss the obvious..

My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 9th March 2017 at 1:32 PM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 8:14 AM   #530
Supersize

I came across a interesting quirk lastnight with the Hero.
Moving my mouse around causes my clocks to go from idle to full load, when I stop moving the mouse it goes back to idle clock.

Old 9th March 2017, 9:22 AM   #531
bennyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersize View Post
I came across a interesting quirk lastnight with the Hero.
Moving my mouse around causes my clocks to go from idle to full load, when I stop moving the mouse it goes back to idle clock.

movie
Problem? You're doing something, CPU clocks up to max turbo to do it, you stop doing something, it goes back to idle. Standard speedstep/speedshift behaviour.

There's also differences between how monitoring programs choose to display a clock speed. HwInfo tends to pick the highest speed reported. Throttlestop for example will show you more extensive info at idle such as C0% and averaged multi over the refresh time. Very useful for playing with turboboost limits and timers, figuring out which limit you're up against in mobile platforms, not so relevant to enthusiast desktops since the platforms are rarely locked down

Last edited by bennyg; 9th March 2017 at 9:26 AM.
bennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 12:59 PM   #532
Supersize

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyg View Post
Problem? You're doing something, CPU clocks up to max turbo to do it, you stop doing something, it goes back to idle. Standard speedstep/speedshift behaviour.

There's also differences between how monitoring programs choose to display a clock speed. HwInfo tends to pick the highest speed reported. Throttlestop for example will show you more extensive info at idle such as C0% and averaged multi over the refresh time. Very useful for playing with turboboost limits and timers, figuring out which limit you're up against in mobile platforms, not so relevant to enthusiast desktops since the platforms are rarely locked down
Yep, but I did find out what was causing it.
HPET was enabled (due to me running the x265 benchmark).
Once I disabled it, the high clocks stopped when moving the mouse, and the incredible amount of lag in everything went away.

When running Metro Last light benchmark it would only use 56% of the GPU (GTX1080), again once HPET was disabled back to 99% and better benchmark scores.

Actually only figured it out this morning after a night of fiddling.
But yes high DPi mice can cause CPU spikes, and technically mine still does, but not 4.7Ghz on all clocks, max now is about 2Ghz for a split second on one..

Last edited by Supersize; 9th March 2017 at 1:02 PM.
Old 9th March 2017, 7:04 PM   #533
Hyo-Ri

Hey all,

Just wondering if these are normal temperatures, never had an AIO watercooler before but they seem a little high?

My build:
NZXT Manta Mini-ITX
MSI Z270I Pro Carbon
Gigabyte GTX1080 G1
NZXT Kraken X62
Intel 7700K

Please see here for the screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/VK65iOY.png

2 fans on the front sucking air in, 1 at the back pushing air out, radiator mounted at the top with fans blowing air through the radiator and out the top of the case.

A lot of the googling online, people seem to be getting around 30degrees? Is this because they have more airflow through the case compared to my mini-itx?

Initially I had the MSI GameBoost enabled which OCs it to 4600Mhz but I've disabled that since I didn't notice any differences whilst gaming(it actually reached 100degrees under Prime95 and underclocked itself down to 3400Mhz or something); since then it's running stock now.

Thanks in advance.
Hyo-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 7:52 PM   #534
Supersize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyo-Ri View Post
Hey all,

Just wondering if these are normal temperatures, never had an AIO watercooler before but they seem a little high?

My build:
NZXT Manta Mini-ITX
MSI Z270I Pro Carbon
Gigabyte GTX1080 G1
NZXT Kraken X62
Intel 7700K

Please see here for the screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/VK65iOY.png

2 fans on the front sucking air in, 1 at the back pushing air out, radiator mounted at the top with fans blowing air through the radiator and out the top of the case.

A lot of the googling online, people seem to be getting around 30degrees? Is this because they have more airflow through the case compared to my mini-itx?
Looks about right mate.
If you see any lower it's because they have delidded their CPU's, highly recommended if you want to do some serious overclocking.

These are my 4.8Ghz temps with a Kraken x61 and Noctua 2000RPM industrial fans.
Old 9th March 2017, 8:18 PM   #535
Hyo-Ri

Quote:
Looks about right mate.
If you see any lower it's because they have delidded their CPU's, highly recommended if you want to do some serious overclocking.

These are my 4.8Ghz temps with a Kraken x61 and Noctua 2000RPM industrial fans.
Awesome thanks for that.

Is yours also de-lidded? I can see your temps look a solid 10degrees lower than mine.

I have decided to turn off my OC since apparently using the MSI GameBoost to 4600Mhz isn't that great since if Intel Turbo boost is on it goes to 4500Mhz anyways.
Old 9th March 2017, 8:30 PM   #536
Supersize

Quote:
Awesome thanks for that.

Is yours also de-lidded? I can see your temps look a solid 10degrees lower than mine.

I have decided to turn off my OC since apparently using the MSI GameBoost to 4600Mhz isn't that great since if Intel Turbo boost is on it goes to 4500Mhz anyways.
Nah look at the Maximum column, 73c, and no I'm not delidded...yet..
That was after a hour of realbench, I do set my AVX offset to 3 so any heavy AVX program runs at the stock 4.5Ghz.
It's a little more taxing on the CPU and causes more heat.
Old 9th March 2017, 9:00 PM   #537
Hyo-Ri

Quote:
Nah look at the Maximum column, 73c, and no I'm not delidded...yet..
That was after a hour of realbench, I do set my AVX offset to 3 so any heavy AVX program runs at the stock 4.5Ghz.
It's a little more taxing on the CPU and causes more heat.
Yep got it.

Don't think I'll de-lid mine either, looks a bit too much handy work.

Hard to find any sources online that is running a M-ITX build, X62 and a 7700K, almost all of the ones I've seen running a bigger tower + older 68XX CPU are all running a consistent 30degrees or lower under idle.

I've never seen mine my CPU temp under 38degrees, usually ranging from 38-44 (just general browsing etc.), and the liquid temp sits on 38 consistently.
Old 9th March 2017, 9:10 PM   #538
Supersize

Quote:
Yep got it.

Don't think I'll de-lid mine either, looks a bit too much handy work.

Hard to find any sources online that is running a M-ITX build, X62 and a 7700K, almost all of the ones I've seen running a bigger tower + older 68XX CPU are all running a consistent 30degrees or lower under idle.

I've never seen mine my CPU temp under 38degrees, usually ranging from 38-44 (just general browsing etc.), and the liquid temp sits on 38 consistently.
That's always going to be the way with smaller cases, it's going to be hard to keep your temps down, increasing fan speed just creates more noise.

I've actually got all mine in a Enthoo Primo case (Full tower), so that helps temps a lot..
Old 9th March 2017, 9:22 PM   #539
Hyo-Ri

Quote:
That's always going to be the way with smaller cases, it's going to be hard to keep your temps down, increasing fan speed just creates more noise.

I've actually got all mine in a Enthoo Primo case (Full tower), so that helps temps a lot..
Yeh that case looks good. I also contemplated getting the Enthoo Evolv Mini but the NZXT manta was bigger and I didn't want to deal with potentially having issues with GPU, CPU Cooler size etc.

Maybe my high temps could also be caused from my fan setup. 2 intake front, 2 exhaust back and 2 pushing through radiator at top may not be enough air getting sucked in. Although having the 2 CPU fan+radiator at the top looks much better than mounting the radiator at the front.
Old 10th March 2017, 9:41 AM   #540
Hyo-Ri

Okay beginning to think I may not have mounted it 100% correctly since I have such a discrepancy between CPU temp and Liquid temp under high load since as prime95, with CPU temp reaching up to 100 and liquid temp probably half of that.

Gaming CPU temp is 80ish, with liquid temp around 50ish.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/commen...w_liquid_temp/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/commen..._temperatures/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/commen...d_temperature/