Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 10th March 2017, 10:02 AM   #541
mr_mordred2095

Those liquid temps are pretty high. I'm lucky to see mine get 5c over ambient...
mr_mordred2095 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 10th March 2017, 10:57 AM   #542
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mordred2095 View Post
Those liquid temps are pretty high. I'm lucky to see mine get 5c over ambient...
Agreed. Temps of even 100 on the tiny part of the system which is the CPU, and corresponding tiny part which is the GPU if you have one in a loop, are not going to have a significant effect on water temps.

Most water cooling parts, like the pumps and tubing for instance, are designed to handle about 60. Get it much higher than that and you'll start popping leaks everywhere.

The water shouldn't be that hot. The chip heat and the water temp are barely related, there is such a large difference between one and the other. The water does not ever get 'hot' as such, even running 5.1v for 5.2GHz as I was last night. The volume of the water can absorb most of the heat without changing much at all.

If water is 50 then you should feel the warmth on the hose. I'd be feeling all the hoses, and see which one is the hottest. Chances are there is a blockage or airlock somewhere which is allowing the CPU or GPU to heat the water in one area significantly with insufficient flow.

If your temp sensor is directly after the CPU for instance, and the outgoing water from the CPU has little or no flow, then the CPU can act like a little stovetop and heat the water which isn't moving, and that hose will feel hot. The further you get from the heat source, the less hot it will be.

If however the water is flowing correctly, there should be no discernible hot spots.

As the OP is using an AIO, I would be looking at a possible pump problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seizium View Post
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 11:13 AM   #543
Hyo-Ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
Agreed. Temps of even 100 on the tiny part of the system which is the CPU, and corresponding tiny part which is the GPU if you have one in a loop, are not going to have a significant effect on water temps.

Most water cooling parts, like the pumps and tubing for instance, are designed to handle about 60. Get it much higher than that and you'll start popping leaks everywhere.

The water shouldn't be that hot. The chip heat and the water temp are barely related, there is such a large difference between one and the other. The water does not ever get 'hot' as such, even running 5.1v for 5.2GHz as I was last night. The volume of the water can absorb most of the heat without changing much at all.

If water is 50 then you should feel the warmth on the hose. I'd be feeling all the hoses, and see which one is the hottest. Chances are there is a blockage or airlock somewhere which is allowing the CPU or GPU to heat the water in one area significantly with insufficient flow.

If your temp sensor is directly after the CPU for instance, and the outgoing water from the CPU has little or no flow, then the CPU can act like a little stovetop and heat the water which isn't moving, and that hose will feel hot. The further you get from the heat source, the less hot it will be.

If however the water is flowing correctly, there should be no discernible hot spots.

As the OP is using an AIO, I would be looking at a possible pump problem.
Thanks for your reply.

I will try and do some comprehensive tests tonight, is there anything you'd like me to do/check to see if you can pinpoint the problem instead of me taking everything apart and checking if it's installed properly?

e.g.
Idle temp
Idle fanspeed
Idle pump speed

(Running PC game overwatch)
Gaming temp
Gaming fanspeed
Gaming pump speed

And then maybe a benchmark?
Cinebench temp/fan/pump speed?

Thanks.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________

**edit**

Have checked my temps today right upon startup with the aircon on.

CPU and Liquid temp at around 30-32 degrees C.

All of the below is for pump + fan set to SILENT MODE

Unfortunately, I turned off the aircon once I started checking the temps when I started gaming.

Idle
CPU @ 28-32 degrees C.
Liquid temp @ 28-30 degrees C.

Gaming - Overwatch
CPU @ 65-70 degrees C.
Liquid temp @ 40~ degrees C.

After playing Overwatch and just idling for a few minutes.
CPU temp @ 40 degrees C.
Liquid temp @ 38 degrees C.

Prime95 Running blend test as you said for 5 minutes with 8 workers (hopefully I'm reading the below correctly regarding the tests)
(Test 1, 36000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations)
CPU temp @ 85 degrees C. 100% load
Liquid temp @ 42 degrees C.

(Test1, 3200000 Lucas-lehmer iterations)
CPU temp @ 95 degrees C. 100% load
Liquid temp @ 44 degrees C.

(Test2, 3200000 Lucas-lehmer iterations)
CPU temp @ 95 degrees C. 100% load
Liquid temp @ 45 degrees C.

Right after I stop the Prime95, the CPU temp drops instantly to 45~ degrees C.

Testing a custom FIXED profile for my fan/pump speed
Fan fixed @ 65% 1060RPM + Pump fixed @ 100% 2700RPM
CPU temp @ 35~ degrees C. 3-5% load
Liquid temp @ 33 degrees C.

Do the above temperatures look about right now?

Thanks!

Last edited by Hyo-Ri; 10th March 2017 at 6:51 PM. Reason: Did some tests tonight.
Hyo-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 8:35 PM   #544
LukeD_NC

Holy banana-boats people !!!

I had my CPU relidded with Conductonaut by headin2001 ! He did an amazing job.
Here's a list of my temps before and after and the delta that I get on Conductonaut. Simply amazing ! Im running 5GHz now @ 1.248v - 1.32v (motherboard controlled) at 62c !!! Huge difference

Stress test app was Prime 95 289 (using small FFT's - AVX)

Huge thanks to headin2001, he did an amazing job on this !!!

Last edited by LukeD_NC; 13th March 2017 at 8:44 PM.
LukeD_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 9:38 PM   #545
wraith.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD_NC View Post

Here's a list of my temps before and after and the delta that I get on Conductonaut. Simply amazing ! Im running 5GHz now @ 1.248v - 1.32v (motherboard controlled) at 62c !!! Huge difference

That's an excellent temperature drop. What cooling are using air or water ?

You wrote 1.24-1.32 volts, but what is your actual voltage at 5ghz, when running Prime 95 small FFT's test ?
wraith.50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 9:50 PM   #546
headin2001 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD_NC View Post

Great difference there mate. Glad you are happy with it now. Isn't too bad of a chip. I didn't realize you got such a difference!

Get some results up and I'll add it to the list.
headin2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 11:50 AM   #547
glnn_23

Have been testing memory stability using HCI Memtest. The G.Skill 4266 kit goes really well on the Apex board and 7700k.

4133Mhz @ C16 18 18 38 1T. 1100% I think it was 1.41v vdimm no problem.

Click to view full size!

To run 4300Mhz requires adjusting base clock up as the 4266 memory ratio isn't usable.
To pass HCI Memtest 1100% I had to lower cache and drop back to C17 18 18 38 1T and required 1.45v vdimm and bumping up vsa and vccio a bit as well.

Click to view full size!

Last edited by glnn_23; 14th March 2017 at 1:44 PM.
glnn_23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 12:51 PM   #548
Ratzz

My 2x4GB Corsair 4266 LPX won't even post @ XMP settings, which use 103.5 blck. I only have an ITX board though, might be better on a bigger board. I've settled on 17-19-19-40-300 2T @ 4000 as the best I'm going to get out of these. My 2x16GB 3200 Trident Z's are getting much better results ( 10-10-10-28-220 1T @ 3600).
Bitterly disappointed in the overpriced and underperforming Corsairs. Loving the G-Skill. I'll have to look at getting some high speed Tridents I think.
Quote:
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 14th March 2017 at 1:31 PM.
Old 14th March 2017, 9:06 PM   #549
Jonbanez

Just finished delidding / relidding my 7700K. Seemed to go pretty smoothly, however it was messy! The conductonaut applicator was kind of stuck, so I pressed it down harder causing liquid metal to squirt all over my desk This stuff is a bitch to clean... So glad it didn't happen over the top of the processor.

I used the Rockit 88 tool so the removal and replacement of the IHS was pretty easy. I found the black silicone adhesive a bit hard to work with, ended up looking a little messy around the corners of the IHS. But it is functional and holding it in place. I should be able to clean it up a bit once it dries properly.

I won't be able to test it until the rest of my new rig arrives, but hoping for some good results!
Old 15th March 2017, 9:19 AM   #550
SneakyBastd

Jonbanez, thanks for the warning. Got a Rockit88 on the way also, good to hear it works well. Ordered my system parts last night, so won't be long before I share my results also. It's all up to silicon lottery now. Good luck to us both!
Old 15th March 2017, 10:47 AM   #551
Ratzz

The initial squirt of Conductonaut is quite a pisser. I decided to send that one into a tissue on the 3rd tube I bought. Once you've got that out of the way though the applicator is almost surgically controllable.

I bought a 3D printed delid tool. It doesn't line things back up for you, but honestly you don't need that anyway. Just take careful note of where the IHS sits on the PCB.. even leave a few tiny traces of the old glue on the PCB as a guide.. apply your glue sparingly onto the IHS and drop it in place.

I use the clip on a clipboard that has a very broad clip to hold it in place overnight, works very well. Doesn't sit quite flat due to the protruding electronics under the chip, but holds the IHS in place perfectly. I'll get around to putting a hole in the 3mm mdf the clipboard is made of to allow for those lower electronics eventually, but so far I CBF since it works fine as is.

For glue, I use ordinary clear bathroom silicon, applied by sticking a small zip tie directly into the silicon cartridge, excess wiped onto a tissue, then the zip tie just run along the edges of the IHS for a nice clean application. Being clear, if you get a little ooze coming out of the sides its not really visible, so a very neat job too.
Quote:
My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 15th March 2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 15th March 2017, 6:06 PM   #552
Jonbanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyBastd View Post
Jonbanez, thanks for the warning. Got a Rockit88 on the way also, good to hear it works well. Ordered my system parts last night, so won't be long before I share my results also. It's all up to silicon lottery now. Good luck to us both!
No worries mate. Another thing to look out for - I cleaned the existing TIM from the IHS a little too vigorously. I ended up not having any distinguishing features to show me where to spread the conductonaut on the IHS...

Leaving a little bit of the TIM to guide you would probably help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
The initial squirt of Conductonaut is quite a pisser. I decided to send that one into a tissue on the 3rd tube I bought. Once you've got that out of the way though the applicator is almost surgically controllable.

I bought a 3D printed delid tool. It doesn't line things back up for you, but honestly you don't need that anyway. Just take careful note of where the IHS sits on the PCB.. even leave a few tiny traces of the old glue on the PCB as a guide.. apply your glue sparingly onto the IHS and drop it in place.

I use the clip on a clipboard that has a very broad clip to hold it in place overnight, works very well. Doesn't sit quite flat due to the protruding electronics under the chip, but holds the IHS in place perfectly. I'll get around to putting a hole in the 3mm mdf the clipboard is made of to allow for those lower electronics eventually, but so far I CBF since it works fine as is.

For glue, I use ordinary clear bathroom silicon, applied by sticking a small zip tie directly into the silicon cartridge, excess wiped onto a tissue, then the zip tie just run along the edges of the IHS for a nice clean application. Being clear, if you get a little ooze coming out of the sides its not really visible, so a very neat job too.
All very impressive, but way to ghetto for me lol. I have a hard enough time doing it with the proper tools

Last edited by Jonbanez; 15th March 2017 at 6:58 PM. Reason: Typo
Jonbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 10:06 PM   #553
cbwolf

FYI - i delidded my 7700k on the weekend and replaced the TIM between the core and IHS with Coolaboratories Liquid Ultra with Noctua NTH1 between IHS and Heatsink.

The difference really is as large as others are getting. I wanted to see just how big by running it at the maximum voltage i was comfortable with:

Setup:
  • 7700k @ 5.1Ghz @ 1.440v
  • Noctua NH-D15 with single fan
  • Ambient temp: 22 degrees
  • Running Prime95 26.6 Blend

Pre-delid i was getting mid-90s with the same settings, so that's a solid 23 degree drop average
Old 16th March 2017, 12:46 AM   #554
Jonbanez

I'm wondering why noone seems to use the liquid metal compounds between the IHS and CPU block? I realise there is a risk of shorting the components, but surely this can be avoided if you're careful. Are there other disadvantages?
Old 16th March 2017, 12:52 AM   #555
mr_mordred2095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbanez View Post
I'm wondering why noone seems to use the liquid metal compounds between the IHS and CPU block? I realise there is a risk of shorting the components, but surely this can be avoided if you're careful. Are there other disadvantages?
There's 10x the surface area between IHS and waterblock, so there's 10x less BENEFIT (benefit, not cooling performance) compared to regular decent paste. Combine that with 10x the surface area being expensive to apply.

Last edited by mr_mordred2095; 16th March 2017 at 1:32 AM.
mr_mordred2095 is offline   Reply With Quote