OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th February 2017, 9:55 PM   #1
museumman Thread Starter

Default WasserBoXXen - a homage to Porsche

Hi!

Im starting this thread as a sounding-board for my thoughts and ideas somewhat. This mod WILL be a long drawn-out affair but there will be a lot of work to complete it as envisioned in my head so be patient with me and I may just make this dream of mine a reality.

My mod will serve a few purposes I guess. First and foremost it will be made for the production of both music and video clips, streaming of gigs, a little graphic arts for a clothing line and some killer gaming in its downtime ( I'm the techie not the artist, I need something to do between doing nothing ).

It will need to be mobile, sturdy and ultimately capable of doing everything I need all at once

Oh, and it has to look the shit

I've always been a Porsche fan as long as I can remember, not the new fandangled models, I like the old 356's, 914's and the early 911's. My first ride was in a lime green early 70s Porsche driven by my uncle. He had a Harley, he had a nice EH Holden Van both of which I loved but it was when he came down to my Nans place with this lime green and black beast I was, as a pre-teen kid, gobsmacked and in love.

Time went on and many years later I had the opportunity to be part of a restoration of an imported left-hooker 356. Man what a ride that was.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I love Porsche engine cowls. So many designs over the years and I'm really wishing to recreate the look of one in a computer. I know this will take me a while to do, I'm tossing up a few different construction methods but want it to look as much like the real thing as possible but with some yummy watercooling components. Did I mention this needs to be as quiet as possible? No, well it does. So water... hence the current working title, WasserboXXen. Water boxer.

So, my plans? Get a huge 18RU Rack Cab or manufacture a frame. Im leaning towards manufacturing a frame out of Aluminium at the moment as I have access to both ali and a welder. A rackmount probably wont be wide enough for what I'm looking at doing. 600mm? I need more than that, maybe 900/1000mm wide would be about perfect.

Layout :

Im thinking that I will run 2 x 480mm thickish radiators along the bottom of the case as if they were cylinder heads. Outlets to the rear to aid in the look of lines running about the place as they would in an engine bay. Fans will sit on the bottom to vent out of the case, their cabling run to a distribution block that will look like a dizzy. The centre main fan. This will be the centre-point somewhat and needs to be a little larger than your normal computer case sized fan. Performancepcs list a sweet 300mm 30mm thick 127CFM fan so maybe something like that, or a Davies Craig thermo if I can find one quiet enough.

In place of carburetors and manifolds, a couple of D5/res combos should fit the bill. Another thought I have is to just make a likeness of the fuel injection throttle bodies out of some nice 50mm copper tubing I have and have them tapped for plumbing to pumps and then nickel plated.

I have the lower half of the case roughly mapped out in my head as above tries to explain.

The upper half needs to house 2 x computers. one of these will be a SFF unit built to look like an ECU and its main role will be to run the lighting rig for gigs and also an LCD for some playback and stream viewing.

The second unit will be the show. As of now I am heavily leaning toward using a Ryzen based system as the core count is there, hopefully the IPC is there and I/O requirements that should fulfill all our needs for the recording/production side of the requirements ( adding in some gaming for downtime amusement )

I havent really started a hardware list as yet, the wife is lurking and I dont want her to be the ex-wife

This is going to be a labour of love style project. I see it taking me the better part of a year. There is acrylic to be sourced, cut and moulded. There is painting to be done. There is cutting, grinding and welding to be done. Cable looms to be made etc.

I will post up here as I acquire parts and ideas or work so if you feel like coming along for a slow ride to completion subscribe

So thats my first post on the subject. Feels good to get it out. Now to work to pay for it all

Peace!

MM
museumman is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 14th February 2017, 1:42 PM   #2
Andy3008

Subscribed....awaiting with great interest.

I to am a lover of the Porsche, old or new. But the closest i ever got was a Karmann Ghia...meh, dreaming about the 356 !
Andy3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 4:39 PM   #3
museumman Thread Starter

reserved for future use
Old 14th February 2017, 4:40 PM   #4
museumman Thread Starter

reserved for future use #2
Old 14th February 2017, 4:50 PM   #5
museumman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3008 View Post
Subscribed....awaiting with great interest.

I to am a lover of the Porsche, old or new. But the closest i ever got was a Karmann Ghia...meh, dreaming about the 356 !
I love the old KGs also, had a Hot VWs mag back in the day that had a sky blue 66 KG iirc that was like the lowest I had seen with 914 polished rims on it and a lightish brown interior. Another car i loved from the Porsche/VW stable

Had a chat to bossman today and it looks like Im going to go the aluminium frame route. No sense wasting a good chunk of money on a rackmount cabinet.

So looking like 40x40mm aluminium frame 1000mm W, 750 D and 1000mm H should about see it. Have a few measurements to chase up regarding radiators, Im unsure what I will use yet. Almost leaning toward a couple of 60mm thick 480s so need to put pen to paper over the next week so I can get started on the frame to carry it all in. Once frame is welded up I'll have a better idea of space to work with .

Anyway, onwards and upwards

Last edited by museumman; 14th February 2017 at 4:53 PM.
Old 10th May 2017, 1:47 PM   #6
Agg
Lord of the Pings

Any updates on this one?