Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th February 2017, 10:36 PM   #16
dirkmirk

I just the game a go on my old school pentium 2 Overdrive @350mhz, had some success but ultimately I think this is the wrong system to be playing syndicate, Ive been using moslo at 35% and played a few missions perfectly but getting random crashes during gameplay etc, I'll try again tomorrow on something more appropriate like a Cyrix 5x86-120.

I think the first mod to buy is the chest upgrade, in the first few missions your health goes down dramatically when getting hit but after the chest upgrade you can absorb uzi or shotgun damage alot better, this means no major purchases for the 3 or 4 missions.
dirkmirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 16th February 2017, 11:50 PM   #17
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkmirk View Post
I'll try again tomorrow on something more appropriate like a Cyrix 5x86-120.
Cool to hear folks busting out the DOS machines for this.

Anyone fired it up on an Amiga yet?
Old 17th February 2017, 9:38 AM   #18
Wizard2k

Quote:
I just the game a go on my old school pentium 2 Overdrive @350mhz, had some success but ultimately I think this is the wrong system to be playing syndicate, Ive been using moslo at 35% and played a few missions perfectly but getting random crashes during gameplay etc, I'll try again tomorrow on something more appropriate like a Cyrix 5x86-120.

I think the first mod to buy is the chest upgrade, in the first few missions your health goes down dramatically when getting hit but after the chest upgrade you can absorb uzi or shotgun damage alot better, this means no major purchases for the 3 or 4 missions.
dirkmirk
if your having to much issue on real hardware give it a shot via PCEM emulation. I use it when im lazy most stuff runs pretty well.
Old 17th February 2017, 10:57 AM   #19
badmofo

Quote:

I've found that anything faster than a DX2 66 will cause Syndicate to crash if using a sound card - was OK with PC speaker from memory. There was a 'SB16 edition' too from memory, and I think that was OK on a faster machine.

Great game choice again guys!
Old 17th February 2017, 12:35 PM   #20
Smoke87

Quote:
Originally Posted by okclock123 View Post
I spent the whole night playing Syndicate. I captured everything except one country and I didn't have any more time, because I had to go to school. When I came back the computer was already gone, so I never finished Syndicate until last year.
Be happy you remember what game it was.

I remember back in the 90s i played some kind of first person 3d-ish dungeon crawler. It was a shareware title that had some limitations placed on it, like I couldn't rob a store as the store owner would tell me it was shareware only and to go buy the full version. I remember there were giant eye monsters but that's about it.
Futuremark is my favourite games developer.
Smoke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 12:43 PM   #21
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke87 View Post
Be happy you remember what game it was.

I remember back in the 90s i played some kind of first person 3d-ish dungeon crawler. It was a shareware title that had some limitations placed on it, like I couldn't rob a store as the store owner would tell me it was shareware only and to go buy the full version. I remember there were giant eye monsters but that's about it.
Slap as much detail as you can in this thread:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=889768

And our sophisticated research droids will scan the innertubes for your gaming nostalgia needs.

The nostalgia demons must be fed!!!!
Old 17th February 2017, 2:09 PM   #22
Krumm

There were a few cheats that time starved people could use iirc you set company name to COOPERTEAM or TOTHETOP and it unlocked all levels / max agents etc but kind of spoils the fun if playing properly.

Left click + Right click mouse = panic mode that makes your agents react automatically, dont forget to lower levels after the danger has passed.

Not as critical in the early stages but later when the agents have higher tier weapons if you are in a car and you hear the agent music start playing get out and move away from that car ASAP. Many a mission was lost due to car explosions wiping out a team back in the day.

Always reload items before selling and you will get more money. Also when selecting an empty weapon instead of left clicking reload try right clicking and it will reload all items in that agents inventory.

If you haven't researched a weapon which means you can't reload it to sell for max money then you can store it on other agents in the team area ie store excess weapons on members you aren't using. Right click and hold when selecting an item to drag and drop it to another team member, note this only works in the equip area. If you are on a mission and want to swap inventory about you have to right click and item to drop it then select the agent you wish to pick it up with.

Don't forget to enhance your agents. A brain on your persuadertron guy lowers the requirements needed to persuade higher levels as Elvis listed above until you can persuade agents which are then available to replace any fallen team members. Legs I think only are faster when using adrenalin, Chest I believe allows out of combat health regen, Arms are supposedly need for heavy weapons

Personally I stuck with shotguns for the better damage instead of range, long range gun is nice but the damage is woeful you just have to position yourself so agents have to round a building into your line of fire , once you have the minigun that's my staple weapon. Flamer is a good lower tier choice also but agents killed with flamers don't drop their weapons. Med packs save lives! they are the panic button when your agents are on fire.

Last edited by Krumm; 17th February 2017 at 2:12 PM.
Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 5:33 PM   #23
gdjacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Question: what happens with the people you can't persuade? For example, I'll occasionally persuade a low-level police character, but walk around the corner and be unable to persuade the next few. Do I need to research/mod/something else?
The chart above covers it. I've never tended to track the points required. Usually I just persuade people, guards, cops, etc and grow my cult until I have enough persuasion power for agents.

Quote:
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. Being out-sniped by some low level mook is frustrating.
This, but the long range is also really cheap to reload.

Quote:
I also need to play with my stats in-game more. The long-play video shows this off well. There are levels that guy does with one agent that I struggle to do with 4, so I need to get better at tweaking them in-mission when it counts (foot speed, accuracy, etc).

Also, I've totally forgotten how to make my agent auto-fire. I remember that from the demo I played years back, but can't seem to make it happen now.
IPA levels. Up your intelligence and perception (brown and blue) to enable accurate autonomous firing by your agents.

Quote:
Wikipedia says DOS mode 13h (320x200 256 colours).

Obviously that's stretched out to a 640x480 framebuffer for VGA video cards, which means non-square pixels and chunky aliasing fun.
For the cinematics and menus, but the action is in 16 color glory with some awesome dithering.
gdjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 8:33 PM   #24
bYrd

Quote:
Obviously that's stretched out to a 640x480 framebuffer for VGA video cards, which means non-square pixels and chunky aliasing fun.
Alright then, Syndicate is one time where the Mac version is leaps and bounds improved over other platforms:

- 640 x 480 res
- Playable on any lowly '030 Mac, LCII etc.
- I even vaguely recall it works in black and white mode too

JB
bYrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 9:24 AM   #25
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYrd View Post
Alright then, Syndicate is one time where the Mac version is leaps and bounds improved over other platforms:

- 640 x 480 res
Actual new artwork res, or just scaled up from the source?

PC monitors in the 386 era were all 31KHz. A 320x200 picture (even at 75Khz) is a 15-16KHz signal, and won't work on a 31KHz monitor, so it was line doubled and sent to the monitor at VGA resolutions. More or less the same as manually scaling up the source graphics and drawing them at 640x480 native.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYrd View Post
- I even vaguely recall it works in black and white mode too
Ooooh I want to see that in action.
Old 19th February 2017, 9:37 PM   #26
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

I am making zero progress on this game. I've opened up the first multi-choice of levels, and I get my arse handed to me in all three by enemy agents with miniguns who just blast my whole team in seconds.

I've tried being all tricky and walking around the entire map avoiding them, persuading as many folks as possible to help me. No dice. Blasted every time. Very frustrating.

This is why I stick to obscure Japanese shoot 'em ups. I suck at these sorts of games.
Old 19th February 2017, 9:54 PM   #27
dirkmirk

One thing I always do is have all 4 agents grouped and press both mouse buttons to make sure your agents have their highest levels available for combat, I generally never seperate my men and give them identical weapons, I think its an important strategy to upgrade your agents with the right body mods too like the chest upgrades etc, dont know guess you got to find the easier levels before tackling the harder ones, are you researching weapons too?
dirkmirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 9:00 AM   #28
gdjacobs

Quote:
I am making zero progress on this game. I've opened up the first multi-choice of levels, and I get my arse handed to me in all three by enemy agents with miniguns who just blast my whole team in seconds.

I've tried being all tricky and walking around the entire map avoiding them, persuading as many folks as possible to help me. No dice. Blasted every time. Very frustrating.

This is why I stick to obscure Japanese shoot 'em ups. I suck at these sorts of games.
The scanner will show what their approach angle is ahead of time.
Maintain a clear firing arc to the enemy's point of approach.
Go equipped with 4x long ranges so you have plenty of firepower.
Use IPA levels so your agents can automatically target enemies as they approach.

Alternately, if they all approach from the same direction, you can find a corner to hide behind and just flame them. I don't recommend this as then you can't acquire their gear for resale.
gdjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 9:03 AM   #29
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjacobs View Post
The scanner will show what their approach angle is ahead of time.
Maintain a clear firing arc to the enemy's point of approach.
Go equipped with 4x long ranges so you have plenty of firepower.
Use IPA levels so your agents can automatically target enemies as they approach.

Alternately, if they all approach from the same direction, you can find a corner to hide behind and just flame them. I don't recommend this as then you can't acquire their gear for resale.
I don't have access to either long range or flame yet. And I can't seem to go back and grind old levels to get money/research. Am I screwed? Do I need to start the game again?

Quote:
One thing I always do is have all 4 agents grouped and press both mouse buttons to make sure your agents have their highest levels available for combat, I generally never seperate my men and give them identical weapons, I think its an important strategy to upgrade your agents with the right body mods too like the chest upgrades etc, dont know guess you got to find the easier levels before tackling the harder ones, are you researching weapons too?
I can afford chest mods for maybe 3 agents at this point. Researching weapons, yes, but the long range rifles haven't shown up in my buy list yet.
Old 20th February 2017, 9:14 PM   #30
Krumm

Quote:
I don't have access to either long range or flame yet. And I can't seem to go back and grind old levels to get money/research. Am I screwed? Do I need to start the game again?
To replay an older mission you have to get them upset so select an area, hike up the tax to 100% play a mission and watch them revolt. The country will flash instead of being the solid colour you chose iirc. Generally speaking i leave the tax rates at 30% and only drop them if a county starts dropping to about content, lower tax too much though and neighboring countries also want there's lowered and it snowballs.

Time advances in realtime in menu but during missions it advances quicker so if cash becomes an issue or you want that research to finish then you can just idle in a mission if you don't get immediately rushed by agents to save having to restart. Miniguns will absolutely wreck you so fast if you are upto them you need to catch your tech up. You should be able to find long range guns dropped in a few missions depending on how you branched out, I conquered Europe/Asia, ignored Africa and working down to Aus.

I remember it being fairly challenging as a kid but having played it before it's been fairly easy but I am just starting to come up against Minigun equipped foes even and my agents are getting wrecked. My cybernetics aren't upto par as I've been focused on unlocking weapons they're all rank 1 and a few 2 so chest and heart upgrades are in order with IPA management

Last edited by Krumm; 20th February 2017 at 9:16 PM.
Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote