Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th February 2017, 11:40 PM   #31
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Cool to hear folks busting out the DOS machines for this.

Anyone fired it up on an Amiga yet?
I was going to take up this challenge this evening turns out my Amiga 500 is toast. Which I guess is fair it's been in storage for close to 20 years. Battery leak, no ram expansion no post. Monitor has a bung power switch. Kind of depressing but kind of to be expected the machine itself was bought in 1990. Not giving up but might take a lot of work. In the meantime I'll give this month's game a crack in emulation instead.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st February 2017, 2:55 AM   #32
gdjacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
I don't have access to either long range or flame yet. And I can't seem to go back and grind old levels to get money/research. Am I screwed? Do I need to start the game again?

I can afford chest mods for maybe 3 agents at this point. Researching weapons, yes, but the long range rifles haven't shown up in my buy list yet.
Time still moves when you're in the briefing screen. You can just set your research, park there for perhaps 30 minutes (rough guestimate) and come back when it's done.

Last edited by gdjacobs; 21st February 2017 at 2:57 AM.
gdjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 7:36 AM   #33
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I was going to take up this challenge this evening turns out my Amiga 500 is toast. Which I guess is fair it's been in storage for close to 20 years. Battery leak, no ram expansion no post. Monitor has a bung power switch. Kind of depressing but kind of to be expected the machine itself was bought in 1990. Not giving up but might take a lot of work. In the meantime I'll give this month's game a crack in emulation instead.
Ah, that sucks. Hopefully you can bring the old girl back to life.
Old 21st February 2017, 12:25 PM   #34
gdjacobs

I've run Syndicate under UAE, but I honestly enjoy the PC version much more.
Old 21st February 2017, 12:48 PM   #35
QuakeDude
ooooh weeee ooooh

Oh. My. God.

This one brings back such good memories. This is one of the few games I sunk a serious amount of time into, probably made better by the fact that I was playing it on my IBM PS2 at the time (those keys...). I absolutely loved this game - my only criticism was the handling of the movement / getting stuck under buildings occasionally. The best thing? The sounds of the minigun
QuakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 1:59 PM   #36
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakeDude View Post
The best thing? The sounds of the minigun
Sounds effects in this are top notch. Way ahead of their time.

Was listening to a podcast the other day (can't remember if it was Retronauts or HG101), and they were heavily criticising the music. I really love it. A little repetitive, perhaps. But I love the dynamic way it reacts to events, and it sets the mood perfectly.
Old 22nd February 2017, 1:48 PM   #37
Daft_Munt

just dont try and play this game on a modem laptop touchpad...terribad.
Daft_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 5:44 PM   #38
gdjacobs

I recording some gameplay for people who might be having trouble. There were a few places where firepower slackened off when I had forgotten how much ammo I needed in a mission and some of my crew ran out, one mission where you have to take an elevated position against the enemy agents due to their using long range rifles, and I did lose two agents in an unfortunate train accident.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kE?usp=sharing
Old 22nd February 2017, 6:28 PM   #39
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft_Munt View Post
just dont try and play this game on a modem laptop touchpad...terribad.
Haha yeah, did that when I wrote the first post, testing out the archive.org web version. Mistaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjacobs View Post
I recording some gameplay for people who might be having trouble. There were a few places where firepower slackened off when I had forgotten how much ammo I needed in a mission and some of my crew ran out, one mission where you have to take an elevated position against the enemy agents due to their using long range rifles, and I did lose two agents in an unfortunate train accident.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kE?usp=sharing
Cheers, will check this out soon.
Old 22nd February 2017, 9:27 PM   #40
dirkmirk

So I put together another retro machine to play Syndicate on...

486/386 Hybrid motherboard
TI 486SXL2/50 (running at 1X40mhz).
16meg of ram (30 pin)
ISA ET4000AX 1meg
Pro Audio Spectrum 16
Future Domain enhanced IDE controller
IDE to compact flash adapter with 4gb seagate drive.

The troubles started with the cd-rom drive, I grabbed a case that housed a socket 7 system upon loading a disc it simply wouldn't read which is typical of early cd-rom drives with cd-rw discs, it read retail discs fine.

Tried another nasty looking 44x cd-rom which made scratchy noises kinda worked but mostly didn't, tossed that in the bin.

3rd time lucky beige dvd drive probably mid 2000's vintage.

Next challenge was getting the sound & cd-rom drivers working with Phils ms-dos startup menu, I figured out how to replace the cd-rom driver with the driver bundled with my controller card, onto the sound card.

The pro audio spectrum drivers messes with the config & autoexec files in a bad way, they "rem" the cd-rom drivers & substitute their own which unsurprisingly doesn't work, changed that but still had to figure out where to load drivers on the start menu, got that sorted doom sounds working perfectly.

Now for the anti climax still can't bloody run Syndicate, you get the bullfrog menu, set sound, splash screen with Syndicate or American Revolt, select a game fade to black then back to dos on all 3 memory configurations, just wasn't meant to be, about the only other thing I cant think of is swapping the video card but I couldn't find my spare Cirrus Logic 5434 when I put the machine together.

Oh yes the trials and tribulations of REAL retro machines, on the plus side I've got a nice computer to play other games with but I'll try again tomorrow on the cyrix 5x86-120, I'll keep posted.
dirkmirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 9:34 PM   #41
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkmirk View Post
Now for the anti climax still can't bloody run Syndicate, you get the bullfrog menu, set sound, splash screen with Syndicate or American Revolt, select a game fade to black then back to dos on all 3 memory configurations
I do remember back in the day having to do some weird memory stuff to get Syndicate working.

Going entirely from memory, it's a DOS4GW wrapped binary, so just freeing up as much RAM as you can (i.e.: not loading anything at all) should at least get it fired up, as that'll allow DOS4GW to grab everything it can.

Some notes here via das googles:
http://syndicate.lubiki.pl/synd/html/synd_patches.php
Old 22nd February 2017, 9:35 PM   #42
power

Quote:
So I put together another retro machine to play Syndicate on...

486/386 Hybrid motherboard
TI 486SXL2/50 (running at 1X40mhz).
16meg of ram (30 pin)
ISA ET4000AX 1meg
Pro Audio Spectrum 16
Future Domain enhanced IDE controller
IDE to compact flash adapter with 4gb seagate drive.

The troubles started with the cd-rom drive, I grabbed a case that housed a socket 7 system upon loading a disc it simply wouldn't read which is typical of early cd-rom drives with cd-rw discs, it read retail discs fine.

Tried another nasty looking 44x cd-rom which made scratchy noises kinda worked but mostly didn't, tossed that in the bin.

3rd time lucky beige dvd drive probably mid 2000's vintage.

Next challenge was getting the sound & cd-rom drivers working with Phils ms-dos startup menu, I figured out how to replace the cd-rom driver with the driver bundled with my controller card, onto the sound card.

The pro audio spectrum drivers messes with the config & autoexec files in a bad way, they "rem" the cd-rom drivers & substitute their own which unsurprisingly doesn't work, changed that but still had to figure out where to load drivers on the start menu, got that sorted doom sounds working perfectly.

Now for the anti climax still can't bloody run Syndicate, you get the bullfrog menu, set sound, splash screen with Syndicate or American Revolt, select a game fade to black then back to dos on all 3 memory configurations, just wasn't meant to be, about the only other thing I cant think of is swapping the video card but I couldn't find my spare Cirrus Logic 5434 when I put the machine together.

Oh yes the trials and tribulations of REAL retro machines, on the plus side I've got a nice computer to play other games with but I'll try again tomorrow on the cyrix 5x86-120, I'll keep posted.
Real retro indeed. Good luck!
Old 24th February 2017, 12:41 PM   #43
xcessive303

Amazing thread, I too used to play this on the family 386 back in the day. I used to love teh violence of the miniguns. One of Perter Monlyeux's best games I think before EA came along and destroyed everything.
xcessive303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 5:46 PM   #44
dirkmirk

Are you guys getting missing sounds? It must be a feature of the game.

On the Pentium Pro system with SB32(PNP) I was missing sounds when their was some action, like a shootout using shotguns, I checked youtube and the same thing was happening on that video too with a modern machine.

I had a lot of trouble with the 486SXL system so I gave up their, now using a cyrix 5x86-120 with a NON PNP SB16 CT1770 and getting the same missing sounds, the game mustn't handle too many sounds at once.

P.S - Using a ball mouse
dirkmirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 7:13 PM   #45
gdjacobs

Quote:
Are you guys getting missing sounds? It must be a feature of the game.

On the Pentium Pro system with SB32(PNP) I was missing sounds when their was some action, like a shootout using shotguns, I checked youtube and the same thing was happening on that video too with a modern machine.

I had a lot of trouble with the 486SXL system so I gave up their, now using a cyrix 5x86-120 with a NON PNP SB16 CT1770 and getting the same missing sounds, the game mustn't handle too many sounds at once.

P.S - Using a ball mouse
Try disabling cache and see if it resolves (partially) the problem.