Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 15th February 2017, 10:26 PM   #1
russkris Thread Starter

Default Antec Sonata III air cooling help needed

Hi Guys,

So I finally got the piece together computer up and running.
MOBO: P6X58D Premium
CPU: i7 2.8ghz(not OC)
RAM: 20gb RAM DDR3
GPU: GTX760
Antec Sonata III

Temps seem to be ok

GPU: 25-32 idle
CPU: 30-40 idle

after 2 hours of gaming
GPU: 81c
CPU: 55c

What I am worried about is the GPU, the HDD cage was in the way and had to put the GPU in the bottom PCIe slot and just by chance my foot touched the case and it was fairly hot. I carefully touched the GPU's board and it was h.o.t.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to reduce the temps, I am just a big worried that the heat will destroy the components/

Please excuse the messy cables, not a great deal of room to hide them and the fan in the HDD cage area is temp to see if i can add air flow down below.

Not sure if i should just cut part of the HDD cage to move the GPU up to the top slot.

russkris is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 15th February 2017, 10:30 PM   #2
power

Sonatas were never particularly heat efficient. Panels were really thick for quiet operation. You can attach a fan to the outside of the hard drive cage though to blow straight across the GPU. You need high flow fans though.

Make sure everything is flowing to the rear of the case some people make the mistake of reversing that style of cpu cooler.

End of the day that style of chassis has been well and truly superseded by better designs.

My wholehearted recommendation is to replace it, moving the GPU up will help but won't fully fix the design shortcomings of the sonata.

Last edited by power; 15th February 2017 at 10:36 PM.
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 9:41 AM   #3
russkris Thread Starter

Thank you for positive feedback, yes it is a very quite case but cooling sucks.

Cheers
Old 16th February 2017, 9:45 AM   #4
power

So you know, more modern cases often use larger fans which actually allow for just as much if not more cooling but with lower speeds (my own case has 140mm and is quieter than the Sonata).

Also moving the PSU to the bottom of the case has been a positive move for case design.

Most cases now tend to have more exhausts too.

moving to 140 has almost been as good as the move from 80 to 120 but not as big a jump - still a jump nonetheless.

Modern cases all tend to also support water out of the box with off the shelf coolers.

I'm a big fan of Fractal cases, I find they offer a good balance of price, generally subtle design and good cooling - however there are plenty of other case makers who offer just as good designs. You also get things like easily remove, refit filters which keeps everything inside very clean. Even stock case fans now are way better than the poor old Sonata which was highly regarded in it's time (the 120 on the Sonata sure pushed some air at full tilt but got noisy - and hardly offered any cooling at lower speeds).

Last edited by power; 16th February 2017 at 9:50 AM.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:19 AM   #5
tree86ers

ah that case bring back memories. Helped a mate build in one of those. It was sooo heavy.
the question is now are you going to replace it or get a newer case?
the old one could be modified to improve things but in the end it would be a matter of cost vs time.
Main PC "Tensa Zangetsu" - MB "eVGA X99 Classified" - CPU "i7 6800k" - RAM "corsair dominator platinum 32gb" - GPU "evga GTX 1080 FTW x 2" Trans-code PC "Hyōrinmaru" - MB "ASUS P9X79" - CPU "Xeon E5 2670" - RAM "corsair LP 32gb" - GPU "eVGA GTX 960 2GB" LAN PC "Zangetsu" - MB "EVGA Z77 Stinger" - CPU "i7 3770k" - RAM "corsair LP 16gb" - GPU "eVGA GTX 980 4GB"
tree86ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 11:28 AM   #6
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree86ers View Post
ah that case bring back memories. Helped a mate build in one of those. It was sooo heavy.
the question is now are you going to replace it or get a newer case?
the old one could be modified to improve things but in the end it would be a matter of cost vs time.
yeah the stupid rubber feet always came off the damn things too (usually straight out the box)!

the worst thing about Sonata was that it REALLY needed a front fan to drag cool air in but had none, so the poor thing was always relying on exhaust and to top that off the PSU even though it had a 120mm fan just ran really hot along with everything else.

They were slightly better with a better exhaust fan and that fan you could attach to the drive bay but they really only suited low heat machines.

Also - doors, I just can't do them anymore even though the Sonata had one of the better examples.
Old 16th February 2017, 12:47 PM   #7
russkris Thread Starter

I would love to run out today and order a new case, PSU and more fans but sadly I just haven't got the coin to spend. I saved every cent I had to get the new/old components I have now. But that enough of the sob story.

Yes, the rubber feet didn't come with the case.. LOL

Down the track I am going to buy a better case from mwave, I really do love the look of Fractal cases, very sexy but they are out of my family budget(been trawling the for sale page here :-]). Maybe looking at a DeepCool case or something similar and a fairly good 700+w 80+ PSU for head room later on, either for better CPU, MOBO, GPU.

Actually to tell you the truth, I am using the ZipMoney through mwave, easy to budget a small payment.
Old 16th February 2017, 12:51 PM   #8
power

In that case run that exhaust fan at full tilt and if need be - side panel off.

Nothing worse than slowly cooking expensive components - and graphics cards may run for a while just fine but it will do damage over time.

There's a reason the old "oven trick" works for so many people.

If you wanted something better in the interim for cheap just look at overall design most of the case manufacturers just copy the good designs.

To maximise cooling efficiency think about airflow.

Last edited by power; 16th February 2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 16th February 2017, 1:04 PM   #9
tree86ers

another thing is to remove all the pcie cover brackets. it may not be much but there will be more air flow, though you do get more dust, even more so if it is on the floor but you would notice all of the newer cases have air holes in these brackets. some for looks more than function but i like to think it helps

if possible keep the door open so airflow is not as restricted etc.

i do like the fractal cases, i am more of a corsair fan my self and really like the obsidian series. though as Power said any newer case would do, even a $50 one would prob have better cooling

Aywun A1-922 "Integrator Choice" Mid Tower Case

this one would do it by the looks of things, but all up to you.
Main PC "Tensa Zangetsu" - MB "eVGA X99 Classified" - CPU "i7 6800k" - RAM "corsair dominator platinum 32gb" - GPU "evga GTX 1080 FTW x 2" Trans-code PC "Hyōrinmaru" - MB "ASUS P9X79" - CPU "Xeon E5 2670" - RAM "corsair LP 32gb" - GPU "eVGA GTX 960 2GB" LAN PC "Zangetsu" - MB "EVGA Z77 Stinger" - CPU "i7 3770k" - RAM "corsair LP 16gb" - GPU "eVGA GTX 980 4GB"
tree86ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 1:05 PM   #10
russkris Thread Starter

Might look at adding that fan permanent on the HDD cage as an intake fan and find some places to mod the case.

My brother inlaw is a fabricator so he has some nifty tools and might have some ideas if I explain what I want to do.. Maybe a bank of 120mm fans on the door..

Thanks heaps for your advice so far. Yes I would hate to cook anything, hence why I got a cheap CPU cooler.

But I see what you mean, that DeepCool is $50 and has 5 optional fans and a tonne more room for the GPU, at the moment the GPU is only 2 cm off the case floor, so I can see the fans just cant get any air to blow and all the heat is sent upwards onto the board..

But I am soo happy too, I can actually play games with more than 8-12 FPS that my AMD A10 laptop gave me..

Last edited by russkris; 16th February 2017 at 1:08 PM.
Old 16th February 2017, 1:09 PM   #11
cbb1935
Unregistered / Not Logged In

Built like a brick shithouse those things... hard to find cases made like them anymore without blowing a few hundred. Everythings gone to cheap sheet metal.

Anyway.. not much you can do with that. Even if you hack out the HDD cage with a nibbler or something like it, you will still need a gaping holein the front door of case in order to bring fresh air into the case.

Intel have a Thermally Advanced Chassis Design Guide they wrote a while back, which might give you some ideas.

http://formfactors.org/developer%5Cs...-%20E34579.pdf

Basically though, times have changed, as have thermal requirements. Even a cheapie case with razor sharp edges but front fan flow would out perform the Sonata these days.

FWIW you can get cases with doors still (Fractal Designs Define series come to mind, and have excellent cooling and are quiet).
Old 16th February 2017, 1:15 PM   #12
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by russkris View Post
Might look at adding that fan permanent on the HDD cage as an intake fan and find some places to mod the case.

My brother inlaw is a fabricator so he has some nifty tools and might have some ideas if I explain what I want to do.. Maybe a bank of 120mm fans on the door..

Thanks heaps for your advice so far. Yes I would hate to cook anything, hence why I got a cheap CPU cooler.

But I see what you mean, that DeepCool is $50 and has 5 optional fans and a tonne more room for the GPU, at the moment the GPU is only 2 cm off the case floor, so I can see the fans just cant get any air to blow and all the heat is sent upwards onto the board..

But I am soo happy too, I can actually play games with more than 8-12 FPS that my AMD A10 laptop gave me..
If you have access to someone with the tools you could do a lot worse than a big fuckoff hole in the side panel directly over the CPU/GPU area and then put an inlet fan there, cover it with a grill to stop the big chunks but keep in mind it'd need a filter to keep out the dust.
Old 16th February 2017, 1:23 PM   #13
russkris Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb1935 View Post
Intel have a Thermally Advanced Chassis Design Guide they wrote a while back, which might give you some ideas.

http://formfactors.org/developer%5Cs...-%20E34579.pdf
Thank you, I will have a read of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
If you have access to someone with the tools you could do a lot worse than a big fuckoff hole in the side panel directly over the CPU/GPU area and then put an inlet fan there, cover it with a grill to stop the big chunks but keep in mind it'd need a filter to keep out the dust.
Come to think of it, I do have like a 30ish cm fan in the shed, that i pinched from a case a few years ago. I will have a look on ebay for a dust cover for that size fan.
Old 16th February 2017, 1:27 PM   #14
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by russkris View Post
Come to think of it, I do have like a 30ish cm fan in the shed, that i pinched from a case a few years ago. I will have a look on ebay for a dust cover for that size fan.
30cm, haha ok - go for it.

The idea is to get cool air to the components and hot air away to drop the ambient temps.

300mm is pretty mental though, I can see an epic ghetto case mod coming on.
Old 16th February 2017, 1:35 PM   #15
russkris Thread Starter

haha, yeah exactly what I thought.. maybe a couple 120mm's