Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th February 2017, 3:54 PM   #1
Excursion Thread Starter

Default (REQ)-(HLP)-Corsair LED lighting strip

So I have a corsair crystal 460x with the included SP led fan kit.
This has an LED controller and a powered hub for up to 6 SP RGB 6 fans.

I had the great idea to purchase a corsair LED link strip thinking I could just pop it into the fan led controller and match the lighting.

The LED strip does connect to the LED hub and they light up but they do not respond the same as the LED fans.

The LED strip remains red and low level light.

Turns out you need a Link node or link mini commander to control the LED strips. This seems odd to me as the fans attached to the controller obviously have LEDs in them that are being controlled through the LED hub no problem.

Can anyone suggest a simple way to make this work with the LED hub or am I stuck with the mini commander of link node?

Just seems odd.
Excursion is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 22nd February 2017, 9:41 PM   #2
Defyant

Edit,

just did a qik goog search, looks like some diy if your up for it?

4 pin headers for the 5050 rgb's.... so +--- positive then RGB earths.

You should be able to use an adaptor/plug then just splice the wire's to the right outputs.

If it's dim it might mean 5v out instead of 12v in that case you can just grab 12v from the case psu and use the earths off the controller to activate the strips.

Last edited by Defyant; 22nd February 2017 at 9:50 PM.
Defyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 7:23 PM   #3
i7Baby

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds says " Connect them to a Commander Mini and use the Corsair Link Dashboard software to customise your systemís lighting."
Old 9th March 2017, 1:37 PM   #4
Excursion Thread Starter

I loved the idea of just rewiring the LED strip but I have found that this has not worked.

I tried every combination of 3 wires 'RGB' into the controller that I could and none produced the light pattern correctly. (Only 3 as the live was identified)

It seemed to only send 1 live + and 1 negative - all the time, even when switching colours it continues to send the same voltage to the same wire.... weird.

The SP120 RGB fans must have some unique way to interpret the voltage coming from the controller to make them change colour.

The daft thing is I could go buy another SP120 break the LED out and wire that in as a case LED.

This is what I thought the strips did but clearly not. Corsair have made a really simple system very VERY complicated for no reason.... It's probably money actually.

Thanks for your help Defyant
Old 1st May 2017, 12:28 AM   #5
MetalPhreak

SP120 fans are WS2811 style addressable LEDs.

4 pin cable to the fans is +5V DataIN DataOUT and GND. It is why you have to connect the fans in the correct order from port 1 onwards as the fan feeds the data chain back into the hub.

Do not stick 12V into them using the normal RGB headers.

The 3 pin connector from the hub to the button controller is just +5V, DataIn and GND. You can connect an arduino or other WS2811 style controller to the fan LED hub if you want instead.
MetalPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 10:28 PM   #6
MetalPhreak

Did some testing.

They are UCS1903 controllers with BRG colour order. Each fan is one RGB address. All four leds light up the same colour as they are all driven off the one UCS controller.
MetalPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 2:25 PM   #7
Excursion Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPhreak View Post
Did some testing.

They are UCS1903 controllers with BRG colour order. Each fan is one RGB address. All four leds light up the same colour as they are all driven off the one UCS controller.
You have been a champ looking into all this, it really seems like corsair scrambled this together from mismatching pieces.

I think I fried one of the LED clusters on a fan testing different combinations. No matter, was a good discovery exercise.

Thanks again for your help.