Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
View Poll Results: What Atari ST/ST's do you own or previously owned?
Atari 520ST/1040ST 3 30.00%
Atari 520STFM/1040STFM 1 10.00%
Atari 520STE/1040STE 5 50.00%
Atari Mega ST/STE 1 10.00%
STacy/ST Book 0 0%
Other ST's (specify) or an Amiga because ST's suck! 3 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd February 2017, 12:00 PM   #1
power Thread Starter

Default The Atari ST thread

I don't know if there will be a huge demand for this, but this is a small enough forum that I'm sure some people will use it.

So, share your ST's here.

I just recently pulled mine out of storage and to my shock it's actually a 1040STE which I didn't realise when I bought it back in the early 2000's (thought it was just a basic ST - yes I know there's a bloody E on the badge...). I've got a fairly decent pile of sw for it but unfortunately the FDD doesn't appear to be reading disks so I'll be looking to replace that sometime which appears to be reasonably easy to do with a PC FDD drive. Also keen to get a better output cable for it as it's currently using the analogue tuner in my plasma for display - think the easiest will be a composite converter. If I'm honest I'd love to get an ST monitor as I think they really round out the ST look in a setup.

The other great thing about it is that unlike my Amiga there is nowhere near the bromine staining that plagues most old machines - or maybe it's just hidden better as the ST was grey!

I'll post a couple of pics tonight if I get a chance.

Editing in this video, it's a great intro to the ST for the uninitiated.

Last edited by power; 23rd February 2017 at 8:57 AM.
power is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 22nd February 2017, 6:23 PM   #2
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Are you sure it's not just the disks that are stuffed? All the discs for my C64 and Amiga's are completely unreadable, in fact the C64 floppy's shed magnetic material all over the head making the drive unable to read anything until the magnetism dissipates.

What does the 'E' stand for?

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 16GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 6:54 PM   #3
buckraban

I did have a 1040STFM ... sold it years ago ...

***Sigh**** Regrets, I've had a few ...and this is one of them !

Had a pretty good setup. Lots of games, software, joysticks... had a colour tv and also had the SM124 (?) mono screen.

Great fun and strong memories of playing Starglider, Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back (waaaayyy to much time on those 2 !)... heaps of other games.

Also remember purchasing ST Format every month for years...

Oh, and I just remembered that I used STOS basic for my Honours Year thesis to create a new method of 3-d protein structure prediction that was more accurate than anything available at the time. Even wrote my thesis using ST Word !

So it wasn't all just fun and games

Damn I miss that machine ...
buckraban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 8:15 PM   #4
JidaiGeki

Nice thread, STs don't always get a lot of love!

Pretty sure the STs I have are 520STE and 1040STE - really classy machines, also have the colour monitor to go with it, nicest CRT I have by a mile. One thing that also turned up with the 520 was a Postscript processor for the Atari laser printer, however finding the printer will be a challenge.

Chose to buy them because I used them for a bit of MIDI and music learning at school in '89, and also because the games selection is pretty good! especially in the UK. Will have to get some pictures up when I dig them up.
JidaiGeki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 9:16 PM   #5
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu!d View Post
Are you sure it's not just the disks that are stuffed? All the discs for my C64 and Amiga's are completely unreadable, in fact the C64 floppy's shed magnetic material all over the head making the drive unable to read anything until the magnetism dissipates.

E stands for enhanced. Stereo sound more colours stuff like that. Pretty sure the disks are ok can't guarantee it I guess. I did give the internals a very good clean and ran a fdd cleaner disk I have as well before trying the disks.

Considering going a replacement drive. Was a pretty quick test.
Old 23rd February 2017, 7:11 AM   #6
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
E stands for enhanced. Stereo sound more colours stuff like that. Pretty sure the disks are ok can't guarantee it I guess. I did give the internals a very good clean and ran a fdd cleaner disk I have as well before trying the disks.

Considering going a replacement drive. Was a pretty quick test.
So all these years and you never realised your ST was a cut above the rest! That's interesting, I never knew they had an enhanced version.

For what it's worth, when my old floppy's magnetised the head of my 1541 cleaning the head didn't fix it and for all intents and purposes the head looked spotless, I'm fairly certain it was just magnetised and once that dissipated it was fine again - It did it on the two floppy drives I have here.

I remember in the day you used to clean heads and demagnetise them using some form of tool.

In some way it would be good if it was just your drive though as I had some nostalgic value on those disks that I can never read again and it's most likely the same for yourself.

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 16GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
Old 23rd February 2017, 9:56 AM   #7
DonutKing

These guys apparently bought warehouses full of Atari gear when they closed down and are still selling parts and even complete computers:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/520_1040.htm
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:22 AM   #8
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutKing View Post
These guys apparently bought warehouses full of Atari gear when they closed down and are still selling parts and even complete computers:

HOLY SHIT.

also my eyes.
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:24 AM   #9
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:

Nice score, not the easiest website to read.
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:38 AM   #10
DonutKing

It's clearly designed to be browsed from an Atari ST
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:41 AM   #11
power Thread Starter

Quote:
It's clearly designed to be browsed from an Atari ST
was my first thought - so retro.

I don't think I'll bother with a RAM upgrade but a new floppy drive an Atari one not a stupid pc hackem up drive would be bloody nice.
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:34 PM   #12
Flamin Joe

I've got an Atari PC1 which uses the Megafile 44 chassis. Does that count? lol

Quote:

I've brought a few things from them over years including schematics and brand new original Atari XT Keyboards which are normally hard to find. Their website is horrendous and ordering from them over email isn't fun, but they definately know their Atari's. It's worth ordering their catalog just to appreciate how much stuff they have (or had in some cases).

This is another place similar, B & C ComputerVisions. They also have a rather large warehouse full of old Atari stock.

http://www.myatari.com/

Website hasn't been updated for years or has their price list so you'll have to email them for stock and prices etc. Bit of a pain but apparently that's how these Atari guys like to do business.

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 3:07 PM   #13
adz

Quote:

Really? I think only one of my C64 disks has given me issues.

Victoria - The $afety State
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 3:45 PM   #14
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz View Post
Really? I think only one of my C64 disks has given me issues.
Both my C64 and Amiga disks spent time (about 10 years) in a garden shed. Although they were kept in a lockable plastic disk box.

Most of them are buggered.

Old 23rd February 2017, 4:10 PM   #15
adz

Quote:
Both my C64 and Amiga disks spent time (about 10 years) in a garden shed. Although they were kept in a lockable plastic disk box.

Most of them are buggered.
That'll do it

Victoria - The $afety State
adz is offline   Reply With Quote